VAR and Refs | General Discussion | May 15: Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Hands in the neck/face area. Wonder what VAR will do about this one.

Dan_F

Took me one second to see he was clearly onside. I know they have to, but that definitely didn’t require lines being drawn.

AndySmith1990

I was in favour of VAR before it was introduced
But feck me the refs in this country are so incompetent they even make a hash of using technology. Can't stand it anymore

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Took me one second to see he was clearly onside. I know they have to, but that definitely didn’t require lines being drawn.
Think they were dotting the I’s and crossing the T’s after yesterday

padr81

Supports
Man City
Same as weirdly on first glance I thought the cb's hand was Rashfords foot. Clearly on though in the end.

arnie_ni

Even if maguire did touch it, doesn't the defender making a deliberate attempt to head the ball, then touching it last, re set the whole thing? Like salahs goal against wolves?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Because decisions are subjective. Unless it’s an absolute blatant Maradona or Henry handball there’s no lint in it interfering with the game. And we’ve had a handful of those cheating circumstances in decades
Now the next step forward is for referees or whoever in VAR to explain their dubious decisions.

Woodzy

Mentioned it in the match thread but they are consistently checking the wrong man on the offside calls. They missed the one for the Brentford goal yesterday, spent ages checking the Rashford goal despite clearly being played onside and then didn’t check the right man for disallowed Rashford goal when there’s a small chance he may have been on.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Mentioned it in the match thread but they are consistently checking the wrong man on the offside calls. They missed the one for the Brentford goal yesterday, spent ages checking the Rashford goal despite clearly being played onside and then didn’t check the right man for disallowed Rashford goal when there’s a small chance he may have been on.
The way they kept zooming for the players near him for his first goal was ridiculous. I swear you would get from older people who are half blind.

vodrake

They spent a good minute checking the nearest defender for Rashfords goal when the far defender was very clearly at least 2 or 3 yards ahead of them both, and when they finally drew the lines he was onside by miles. Bizarre use of VAR today

Woodzy

The way they kept zooming for the players near him for his first goal was ridiculous. I swear you would get from older people who are half blind.
I do wonder when the officials get given VAR duty they just seen it as a take your kids to work today and let them play with the computers when the time comes

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I do wonder when the officials get given VAR duty they just seen it as a take your kids to work today and let them play with the computers when the time comes
It definitely seems like that.

Nico87

Referee’s seem to defer making any decision they feel may be contentious assuming VAR will correct them and VAR then seems to not to want to overrule the man on the field, so they consistently get decisions wrong.

I would copy The cricket system where captains get to send decisions to VAR and if they are incorrect they burn one of their 2 calls they’re allowed to use. I would also have referees using ‘soft signals’ that can be overturned if incorrect so they feel more confident making call themselves again

Sylar

Referee’s seem to defer making any decision they feel may be contentious assuming VAR will correct them and VAR then seems to not to want to overrule the man on the field, so they consistently get decisions wrong.

I would copy The cricket system where captains get to send decisions to VAR and if they are incorrect they burn one of their 2 calls they’re allowed to use. I would also have referees using ‘soft signals’ that can be overturned if incorrect so they feel more confident making call themselves again
The whole introduction of var has been a mess as has been the implementation. Most sports like cricket, tennis or American football the crowd get to see the process behind decisions.

In football, cos stadiums don't have screens you're basically sitting on your hands just waiting. And even the crowd at home sometimes like the one that was disallowed. Even the commentary team basically said
"I guess they thought it came off Maguire "

Var implementation was bad, it actually started to get better but this season is a while sabotage effort that you would think they are trying to get clubs in this league to vote against its use.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Absolute shambles. They don’t look at anything.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
I’m surprised the amount of coverage the possible error in the buildup to Brentford goal got in comparison to a much more glaring mistake in Palace v Brighton game (at least here, as Arsenal fans are calling FA corrupt, Brentford cheats and demanding the victory to be awarded to them, among other nonsense I have seen since morning). Even with that line drawn in the picture I am still not entirely convinced Norgaard is offside, and he is it’s a matter of centimeters, or a fraction of second in which you decide to stop the frame to analyze their positioning. Arsenal seem to have focused on trying to explain why they conceded by looking frame by frame seeking referee’s error rather than pointing out their defensive naivety.
The VAR referee made an error so basic that the PGMOL decided to issue a public statement. It’s hardly Arsenal trying to shift the blame when the responsible party is holding their hands up and saying “We failed - that one is on us”.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Shocking again, clear goal for Gundogan ruled out for nothing and then a clear yellow card for Grealish given as a pen.

OldSchoolManc

Are they just making a brew and flipping a coin in the VAR room?!
Disgraceful.
Grealish bought that as clear as day.
Scummy club supported by scummy officials

Raw

Dive given as a penalty.

I honestly don't get it. If we at home can see it, why can't they? Would have taken no time to look at something so blatant and tell the ref that it isn't a penalty. Game wouldn't have to be stopped for 5 minutes to decide or anything.

Or do they see it and not want to overrule the ref for some odd reason? I really want VAR to work but they've implemented it so fecking badly. It's the quick and obvious decisions like this that I thought VAR would solve but I guess not eh?

acnumber9

That penalty given is ridiculous. Ramsey makes no attempt to tackle Grealish.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
That penalty given is ridiculous. Ramsey makes no attempt to tackle Grealish.
What do you mean ? Grealish is very very very smart, very clever and Ramsey very very very naive. Are you saying they very very very cheated ? :confused:

acnumber9

What do you mean ? Grealish is very very very smart, very clever and Ramsey very very very naive. Are you saying they very very very cheated ? :confused:
I don’t there’s anything to suggest City would ever cheat.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Has anyone seen a good replay of the Weghorst goal yet? There was one angle which seemed to suggest the ball came off the Leeds defender and not Maguire at all, but VAR just appeared to make their decision based on Weghorst being ahead of the play rather than how the ball came to him. Shoddy to say the least.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Has anyone seen a good replay of the Weghorst goal yet? There was one angle which seemed to suggest the ball came off the Leeds defender and not Maguire at all, but VAR just appeared to make their decision based on Weghorst being ahead of the play rather than how the ball came to him. Shoddy to say the least.
My son said straight away after seeing the replay that it didn’t even come off Maguire, but then we never got shown another replay and the game just went on.
I noticed Maguire waving his finger suggesting it didn’t come off him.

AndySmith1990

It's a disaster.

The refs are inept. Whoevers in charge of the refs are useless. None of it is fit for purpose. There's more controversy and daft decisions now than before VAR.

Officiating needs an overhaul. It can't be that fecking difficult. Other sports manage to do a decent job of it

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal

I'm sure they also have their own interpretation of the word AXE and will be sent to the Championship for 2 weeks instead of one before coming back like nothing happened.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
It definitely came off the Leeds players arm.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
PL referees remind me of sacked Tory MPs from their ministerial posts.

They lie, are incompetent and maybe worse and the worst thing that happens is they just get a lower salary as punishment to be then backed by the parry a few months later.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
yet again it seemed like they watched 1 replay, stopped it in slow motion at a convenient point that looked like it “might” have came off maguire, then dropped it and carried on.

Other angles have since shown clearly the leeds player knocked it on with his arm. If anything it could/should have been a penalty too.

Thankfully this time it didn’t sting us, but we sure aren’t getting our fair share lately.