VAR and Refs | General Discussion

DickDastardly

I dunno, thought a potential foul but after watching the replay a few times I think Evans might have fouled the opponent more than the other way. But wtf is Maguire doing with his hand up instead of moving towards the ball or covering the post space?
That's elite defending, you just can't grasp that.

stw2022

Remember those nights in the 90s when we would stay up all night fretting whether our success was undeserved

'What is it darling, can't sleep?'
"No, it's going round and round in my head: were Andy Cole's eyelashes offside?"

Hours we'd spend desperately trying to upscale the image to a higher resolution. Drawing and redrawing lines. Badgering the ground staff for plans and technical architectural drawings of the stadium so we could make sure we were getting the angles right. It would run our whole season and send us spiralling into a vortex of doubt and shatter our confidence.

Thank feck VAR has ended those days and saved football

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Good decision to overturn the penalty, doesn't look to be a foul for Rice's winner. Can't abide these super close offsides though. Hate 'em.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
1) are those red/blue lines at the correct angle?
2) has var missed the defenders head?
3) is that the ms when he first touches the ball? Not the ms when the ball leaves his foot

End of the day the technology gods have decided it was offside.

izec

The calls were all correct. There was no foul on Evans. The Garnacho goal is tight, but they are consistent with the lines and have done so for years now.

Tyrion

Surely his head would be further forward than his shoulder? Is it possible to lean forward and your head not be in front of your shoulder?
I think it's because he was at an angle so his right shoulder was closer to their goal and his left shoulder was closer to ours.

If var rule out the penalty for Arsenal shouldn’t the arsenal Player get booked for diving?
He should but the "yellow for diving" rule doesn't get applied for penalties. Refs don't seem to have the bottle.

Alex B

It's his shoulder that is out in front. It's ridiculous that that sort of offside can negate what is really no advantage at all, but those are the rules. I did think they were being more lenient with the lines in situations like that, but apparently not.
You could argue that Garnacho being side on in that situation is advantageous so the shoulder counts I guess, but this is killing great moments for me. Think I would prefer to get rid of VAR altogether even though we'd have conceded a penalty today

Tom Van Persie

No relation
The line was drawn from the defender’s shoulder yet every replay very clearly showed his head being the furthest forward part of his body. So fecking dumb.
It's just fecking incompetence. No excuse for it. I hope more managers continue to call out them out. Something needs to change.

Zen

Why not show both angles with the lines if they "used" both angles? Fishy as feck.

Swedish_Plumber

How do they draw accurate lines etc from angles behind the actual line of off/onside?

The tight ones are just made up I think. Not that that benefits any team in particular. Just seems so random most of the time.

stw2022

The biggest problems is allowing the narrative that a man drawing lines on a screen is "technology". It gives it an aura of infallibility that people who rightly want to call it out, incorrectly cower to.

Tony Clifton

Would have really liked to see that overruled Garnacho goal with the automatic offside-system which was used in World Cup 2022/is used in Champions League.

Wonder why the Premier League doesn’t use that technology…must be too expensive for the poor old skint Premier League.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I think it's because he was at an angle so his right shoulder was closer to their goal and his left shoulder was closer to ours.

He should but the "yellow for diving" rule doesn't get applied for penalties. Refs don't seem to have the bottle.
No it’s physically impossible. His feet are straight. You can turn to any angle you are capable of but your head is still further forward than your shoulder. It’s only possible if you stand side on. Which he wasn’t.

gaffs

How do they draw accurate lines etc from angles behind the actual line of off/onside?

The tight ones are just made up I think. Not that that benefits any team in particular. Just seems so random most of the time.
The pitch is 3d mapped. The video ref just clicks the relevant body parts for defender and attacker and lines are automatically created.

stw2022

The pitch is 3d mapped. The video ref just clicks the relevant body parts for defender and attacker and lines are automatically created.
Yeah but which frame to use is still guesswork. Which is the issue.

gaffs

No it’s physically impossible. His feet are straight. You can turn to any angle you are capable of but your head is still further forward than your shoulder. It’s only possible if you stand side on. Which he wasn’t.
The pitch is mapped beforehand. The angle is irrelevant. The system knows exactly where the players are, in relation to the sidelines.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Found it after a lengthy search. It's still a tight call with both heads looking even. Seems one of those centimeter calls that the on-field result should arguably stand.

It's a large image so I placed in spoiler tag to not distort the thread.

Thanks

Acquire Me

Would have really liked to see that overruled Garnacho goal with the automatic offside-system which was used in World Cup 2022/is used in Champions League.

Wonder why the Premier League doesn’t use that technology…must be too expensive for the poor old skint Premier League.
Should definitely get it asap. Humans make mistakes and this one is very hard.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Software can’t be wrong…

Stookie

Nurse bell end
The line was drawn from the defender’s shoulder yet every replay very clearly showed his head being the furthest forward part of his body. So fecking dumb.
100%. VAR was supposed to clear these things up. Not make things worse. Any fecker saying United get more decisions go their way than anyone else is absolutely deluded.

stw2022

The one where the ball looks to be in forward motion from the pass.
The ball doesn't leave a players foot the instant it's in forward motion

The fact they're drawing fecking lines based on "i reckons" when it comes to selecting a freeze frame, makes tight, marginal, millimetre decisions like chalking that off this afterwards fecking egregious.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I can’t see how his head isn’t the reference point when he isn’t standing upright. I’m pretty sure it’s physically impossible
Thought that at first, but he's turned to the side and looking behind. If he was facing forward this would be true.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It doesnt mean this is.
The VAR ref tells the software to draw the line from Gabriels shoulder which is not the part of his body that is furthest forward.
If you’re going to use software to 3D map let the software determine the parts of the body furthest forward

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Did anyone see any replay of Hojlund going down in their box? The one ETH was furious about? Looked like a pen to me.
Not to worry, this will be reviewed next week and an apology will be in the post in no time!