VAR and Refs | General Discussion

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The ball doesn't leave a players foot the instant it's in forward motion

The fact they're drawing fecking lines based on "i reckons" when it comes to selecting a freeze frame, makes tight, marginal, millimetre decisions like chalking that off this afterwards fecking egregious.
That’s the bottom line. There’s a margin of error. There has to be. And if we can’t be sure it’s the correct decision, what’s the fecking point of any of it?!?

Paddymcc

Did anyone see any replay of Hojlund going down in their box? The one ETH was furious about? Looked like a pen to me.
Gabriel had his left arm wrapped right around Hoijlunds midrift.

No idea why it wasn't even reviewed by VAR.

stw2022

The attacker's line should be thicker than the defenders line to build in benefit of the doubt margin of error

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Did anyone see any replay of Hojlund going down in their box? The one ETH was furious about? Looked like a pen to me.
Yeah they’ve just been going over it forensically in the Sky studio and it’s a clear pen. Everyone is furious it wasn’t given and are calling for Taylor to be dropped next week.

gaffs

The fact they're drawing fecking lines based on "i reckons" when it comes to selecting a freeze frame, makes tight, marginal, millimetre decisions like chalking that off this afterwards fecking egregious.
Agree, but are they waiting for the ball to leave the foot? The VAR still doesn't show that the ball had left Casemiros foot.

What would you prefer, have the linesman make the call? Because we have seen for years that is near impossible for a linesman to make a right call on these. And if they do, its only because its a 50/50 guess.

Bear in mind, the linesman are keeping their flags down on these calls because they are allowing the play to continue and for VAR to help decide.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
The more I see it the more unsure I am.

Didn't they draw the line in the wrong place last season?
Yes Palace-Brighton when Estupnian was called offside but they took it from the shoulder of the wrong Palace defender. :lol:

That alone shows the technology used is a long way from bulletproof but guess it just got dismissed as human error.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Seems relevant

It's not really. In that case the VAR obviously identified the wrong player:

It would be pretty ludicrous to draw a comparison between that and the Garnacho offside.

Hester_manc

I think the Garnacho goal looked onside.

Højlund could have had a penalty

Evans could have had a free kick on their goal.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

It would be pretty ludicrous to draw a comparison between that and the Garnacho offside.
The point is that sometimes the people operating the technology make errors.

gaffs

The VAR ref tells the software to draw the line from Gabriels shoulder which is not the part of his body that is furthest forward.
If you’re going to use software to 3D map let the software determine the parts of the body furthest forward
I have seen the stills from both angles. His head doesn't look to be any further forward than his head.

Chip

Yeah they’ve just been going over it forensically in the Sky studio and it’s a clear pen. Everyone is furious it wasn’t given and are calling for Taylor to be dropped next week.
You're joking, right? :lol: :nervous:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

It shows that the var ref clicks on where he thinks the last point is and it’s not hundred percent accurate, if he’s clicking in the screen with a mouse or touching a touch screen with finger, how much is he zooming in to get that exact point of the last defender, there’s far too much margin of error for these 1mm offside calls

stw2022

It shows that the var ref clicks on where he thinks the last point is and it’s not hundred percent accurate, if he’s clicking in the screen with a mouse or touching a touch screen with finger, how much is he zooming in to get that exact point of the last defender, there’s far too much margin of error for these 1mm offside calls
Even with these high definition cameras these freeze frames are far too fuzzy for it to be used like that.

cyberman

It was so easily waved away yet if it were Scott McTominay wrestling at a corner in Stamford Bridge it would be given

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I have seen the stills from both angles. His head doesn't look to be any further forward than his head.
Pretty hard for his head to be further forward his head

Danger5

Didn't think the Hojlund incident was a pen, nor was the scuffling in the box for their winner any kind of foul. Both would have been very soft, as soft as the Havertz pen that was rightly overturned. It was just unlucky for us with the deflection. Onana had it otherwise.

What was baffling was the 'offside'. It looked on even with the lines drawn.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
He's offside, the tech won't get that wrong. The lines are mapped to the pitch.
Not the point. The point is when was the image froze and where in the image was selected. That is the margin of error that is not accounted for

Wengerista

Supports
Arsenal
Comments on specific decisions today aside, I'm fed up with the bullshit production of the screen. We all know that once the referee is called to the screen there's 99.9% of the time only one outcome. Just have the ref do his stupid cross-arms motion once he hears something in his ear from the VAR team, instead of running to the screen. It's all just to preserve the ego of the on-field ref.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Exactly.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!

Definite foul on Evans and a penalty on Hojlund but not sure about the Garnacho offside/onside.

stw2022

He's offside, the tech won't get that wrong. The lines are mapped to the pitch.
Yeah the "tech" of a middle aged man choosing which frame to use based on guess work of when he reckons the leather of the boot stopped making contact with the ball on the through pass.

Then the same chap clicking with guesswork where he thinks the most advanced part of both player's bodies are in a distant, fuzzy image.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Not the point. The point is when was the image froze and where in the image was selected. That is the margin of error that is not accounted for
There is already a tolerance level ( I think it's 5cm) to account for the margins.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
It's obviously a foul on Evans, otherwise he closes down the shot.
Yeah I agree, not enough made of that incident for me.

In the last few weeks I feel like they have let a lot more pushing and tripping go. Noticed it a lot today.

arnie_ni

Wouldn't be happy if we gave away a pen for it in fairness but it should defo have been looked at

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The point is that sometimes the people operating the technology make errors.
Sure. But there's a big difference between "sometimes they make errors" and "in this case they made an error".

So far nobody has posted anything that actually suggests they made an error. Just the same thing we always get with these offsides, which is people pointing to how things look different from a different camera angle (as if they shouldn't look different given how perspective works) while posting random screengrabs, or saying nonsensical things like "your shoulder can't be ahead of your head".

Nothing about this offside appears any different to any other correct offside call we see. It just happened to go against us this time.