VAR and Refs | General Discussion | Forest go into meltdown

Fergies Gum

It has now got to the stage where a team has to walk off in protest after one of these bs decisions.

Dembeza

1. Why wasn’t the faul on Maddison checked?

2. Did we not have a similar handball but was not given as a penalty?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
This is my problem. There were a series of fouls before the Romero handball. Why did VAR only look at the Romero incident?

Atheist

Arsenal sure have had decent amount of luck with regards to VAR this season.

whitbyviking

Looked like White handballed it in the build up, he seemed to control the ball with his hand.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Just insane really that because if anything with the United one he is further away, this one he is literally in proximity

Roboc7

I think it was a penalty but there is no consistency with these decisions, it’s just guess work every week.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's a blatant pen. The only craziness was that our call against Spurs wasn't called a pen, as that was a very blatant handball.

Fr. Todd Unctious

They simply have to come out now and explain clearly why they didn't give the handball against United but they did give this one.

We know why. The media had an absolute meltdown after the Wolves game over an incident that you see in plenty of games where nothing is given either and not much said. They're terrified to give us anything at all if they can avoid it

Cpt Negative

1. Why wasn’t the faul on Maddison checked?

2. Did we not have a similar handball but was not given as a penalty?
do you remember that red card that Burnley should have got 2 Seasons ago but vAr brought it all the way back to a foul Shaw did at end of his own area…

90 + 5min

Romero handball the latest in a long line of VAR fuelled bullshit. It’s made the whole handball rule an absolute farce, completely different to the way the rule has been applied for decades. Ruining the game, it really is.

And that’s even without the infuriating inconsistency where the same player wasn’t penalised in the game against United.
And to call this penalty but not the one we should have got at Tottenham few weeks ago. And people talk about same rules for everyone. Horrible.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's a blatant pen. The only craziness was that our call against Spurs wasn't called a pen, as that was a very blatant handball.
It’s only blatant because they keep torturing the rules with stupid new guidelines to keep up with all this VAR bollox. Handball is supposed to be intentional. That’s the fundamental basis for the rule; that’s been that way since the game was invented. There was absolutely no way he intended to handle that ball. He didn’t even have his arm in an “unnatural position”.

Stactix

Until the moment a referee makes a big decision with the replays easily showing he is wrong.
That happens constantly though even with VAR, when you have Liverpool fans agreeing with you about decisions..

We know full well after what Mike Dean said that the refs are protecting each other rather than making at times making very obvious decisions.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
What I don’t get is that ref didn’t give the penalty and then they took 4 minutes to make that decision. Surely if it is an obvious handball then it should take 30 seconds to make the decision. I don’t get what they are needing 4 minutes for if it’s an obvious decision

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
With the United non penalty incident its ridiculous that it wasn't given, but then its doubly ridiculous that everyone tried to tell us it wasn't a penalty. Really shows up how differently things seem to be seen when it's United compared to when it isn't.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
What I don’t get is that ref didn’t give the penalty and then they took 4 minutes to make that decision. Surely if it is an obvious handball then it should take 30 seconds to make the decision. I don’t get what they are needing 4 minutes for if it’s an obvious decision
Aye. Said this to my mate. The fact VAR spent ages looking just shows they're not sure either.

justboy68

It’s only blatant because they keep torturing the rules with stupid new guidelines to keep up with all this VAR bollox. Handball is supposed to be intentional. That’s the fundamental basis for the rule; that’s been that way since the game was invented. There was absolutely no way he intended to handle that ball. He didn’t even have his arm in an “unnatural position”.
I'm with you. If it's a total accident and the arm isn't in some blatantly ridiculous place then it shouldn't be a pen. The striker should have aimed better. Much simpler and therefore easier to keep consistent. The way things are now is a total mess and it needs sorting out.

IamBurnsey

Var just needs scrapped, it seems to have caused more problems than it has solved, in my humble opinion it has made football alot less enjoyable, the only decent technology brought in was goal line technology!

justboy68

Also agree with this. It should only be used when you can clearly say it's an error within 10 seconds of looking at it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Haven't seen this handball but they're meant to overturn obviously wrong decisions, not decisions where it's immediately obvious that it's wrong. Which isn't the same thing.

For example, you could have a potential handball where it takes time to make sure the player involved wasn't offside, and then more time to find an angle confirming that there was actual contact between hand and ball. But once you've confirmed those facts, the ref's decision not to give a handball is an obvious mistake.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Nah the intentional part for me was always dumb. It can be unintentional but still a clear pen. If your hand is up and out and making your body frame bigger and it blocks the ball like that, it's quite simply a handball IMO. That for me would've been a pen 20 years ago, every day. His only argument there was close proximity, but with your hand there, it's a pen.

It's just one of those things. You can accidentally get hit by the ball but if it is up by your head like that and out, then you can have no complaints. I'm just shocked United's pen shout wasn't called because it was pretty similar, even farther away if anything.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Nah the intentional part for me was always dumb. It can be unintentional but still a clear pen. If your hand is up and out and making your body frame bigger and it blocks the ball like that, it's quite simply a handball IMO. That for me would've been a pen 20 years ago, every day. His only argument there was close proximity, but with your hand there, it's a pen.

It's just one of those things. You can accidentally get hit by the ball but if it is up by your head like that and out, then you can have no complaints. I'm just shocked United's pen shout wasn't called because it was pretty similar, even farther away if anything.
Well, exactly. Are we just ignoring proximity now?

And that’s a great example where normal, human instincts trump this tortuous slo mo insanity that’s been foisted on us.

In real time the ref saw a ball smashed against someone very close to the attacker, who didn’t try to handle the ball or use his arms to make his body bigger to block the shot. No penalty. The instinctive decision was the correct one.

Last edited:

Sylar

I'm sure for the Romero handball, the ball also got deflected of maddison which meant it looped up.

Regardless there is no consistency. Not having an independent team review this is insane rather than just using the inept referees. At least they won't just say, don't worry about it mate.
It might bring some consistency to this

Sara125

Refs are scared to give us decisions cos they know neutrals, ABUs and the media alike will want their pound of flesh….whether it is the correct decision or not