VAR and Refs | General Discussion

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
They’re an absolute joke! Worse refs and officials in the whole of Europe. We seriously need to bring in some foreign refs. Italian and Spanish refs are the best.

SER19

Its absolutely crazy now. Does any match not have a referee being the most important figure on the pitch? How is kovacic on the pitch? Thats an already weakened city midfield, facing 60 minutes without him - its such an enormous impact, and he missed not 1 but 2 occasions where he should walk. It's very very hard to not see bias

Righteous Steps

You have to wonder how our Refs could be refereeing in a country which is ruled by the lot who own City, then referee in a Manchester City game a week later, surely that’s a conflict of interest?

FerociousCorgis

Meh first challenge from kovacic was prob just a yellow, right on that yellow and a half point. On first look I didn't think the second challenge was yellow but on replay it Def looked clear cut yellow and off.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
You have to wonder how our Refs could be refereeing in a country which is ruled by the lot who own City, then referee in a Manchester City game a week later, surely that’s a conflict of interest?
Imagine the level of hospitality given to them over there. Absolutely a conflict of interest but they answer to no-one so nothing will ever happen.

90 + 5min

This two teams are just disslikable how they behave. Arsenal are just cheaters and divers and We all know what ManCity are.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
So, 4 minutes added on here. Why the flying feck were there 8/9 minutes added on when we played Arsenal? Travesty of a season so far.

Golden Nugget

So, 4 minutes added on here. Why the flying feck were there 8/9 minutes added on when we played Arsenal? Travesty of a season so far.
I’ve not seen all the matches - but based on United yesterday, Livepools and City’s today, have they reverted back to normal stoppage time?

fallengt

So they sorri-ed and give liverpool free pen next match?
This is how var works?

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
This is how var works?
Do you think it wasn't a penalty ? (Assuming you've seen it of course)

JSArsenal

Why were they refereeing over there?

A genuine question. Do leagues generally bring in referees from outside of the country to referee a one off game?

fallengt

Do you think it wasn't a penalty ? (Assuming you've seen it of course)
Gabriel's wrestling on Hojlund was more on a pen than this onr
If that wasnt pen, this one shouldn't be either. He felt as soon as there was contact

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Gabriel's wrestling on Hojlund was more on a pen than this onr
If that wasnt pen, this one shouldn't be either. He felt as soon as there was contact
Okay :houllier:
Referees are bad enough, thank god they don't follow your logic at least.

Oranges038

I’ve not seen all the matches - but based on United yesterday, Livepools and City’s today, have they reverted back to normal stoppage time?
Game started.

Nothing happened.

Kovacic should have been sent off.

Nothing.

Half time.

Second half.

Nothing

A few subs.

A goal.

Nothing.

Game over.

4 mins was too many.

IRELANDUNITED

Can somebody answer me this - how is soccer, the most watched and popular game in the world, a million miles behind Rugby in terms of refereeing? Every single week we have a massive fall out over some officiating decision is a soccer match, yet week after week we have almost flawless refereeing in every single Rugby match, as seen in the Rugby World Cup that is taken place at the moment. A sport with far less of a following and far less money, why are they streets ahead?

fallengt

Okay :houllier:
Referees are bad enough, thank god they don't follow your logic at least.
Feck off with the passive aggressive if you dont want to make a point, mate.
Even when you do, only pick fight if you know you are going to win an argument.

Thank for wasting my time.

Cpt Negative

Double jeopardy rule. No red card.
Double jeopardy rule only applies if you make a genuine attempt to win the ball. Shirt pulls or pull backs are normally red cards in those events, but I think VAR have missed an offside in the build up. Looks like Brighton defender plays into onto Sob and it falls to Nunez who’s offside. Would need another angle but looked clear to me

edcunited1878

Can somebody answer me this - how is soccer, the most watched and popular game in the world, a million miles behind Rugby in terms of refereeing? Every single week we have a massive fall out over some officiating decision is a soccer match, yet week after week we have almost flawless refereeing in every single Rugby match, as seen in the Rugby World Cup that is taken place at the moment. A sport with far less of a following and far less money, why are they streets ahead?
Football is much faster and spread out spatially, while rugby is more compact and repetitive in nature with more consistent lateral movement that shouldn't deviate much due to the simplicity of who can do what and how.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Feck off with the passive aggressive if you dont want to make a point, mate.
Even when you do, only pick fight if you know you are going to win an argument.

Thank for wasting my time.
Don't get angry mate. It was 100% a penalty, he had his collar stretching all the way until he was on the floor.
Holjund v Gabriel could/should have been a penalty. Doesn't change the fact that your logic is dumb. You wrote a stupid thing, it happens to all of us.

You're welcome. ;)

Oranges038

This is how var works?
It was a penalty.

Funnily enough, there was a VVD handball not given, very similar to last week in the Spurs game and the same for Luton against Wolves too.

But no penalty today.

fallengt

Don't get angry mate. It was 100% a penalty, he had his collar stretching all the way until he was on the floor.
Holjund v Gabriel could/should have been a penalty. Doesn't change the fact that your logic is dumb. You wrote a stupid thing, it happens to all of us.

You're welcome. ;)
The point being both are either pen or they are not. Ref only made easy decision because they fecked up last week so this is kind of "making even". If the situation was reversed, this wouldn't be called. This is not how it should work. VAR is there to set a consistency whenever it's correct or gray-ishly incorrect, not how ref feels that day.
Kovacic should've been given red anyday but not today. Why? Is it "100%" red or not? VAR couldn't even decide then how is anyone supposed to take next similar-ish decision seriously.
See the issue when you don't set standard? If rulebook is just "guidebook" then any argument is valid, there can't be 100%. VAR is supposed to be pushing percentage closer but what they do is the opposite

But already told you that not how you win an argument if you can't even string more than two coherent sentences together without ad hominem in between.
I'm not the kind of people whom enjoy short dopamine burst from throwing shade on internet as if they had high ground. Maybe pick someone with your type so they can entertain you

awop

Supports
Arsenal
The point being both are either pen or they are not. Ref only made easy decision because they fecked up last week so this is kind of "making even". If the situation was reversed, this wouldn't be called. This is not how it should work. VAR is there to set a consistency whenever it's correct or gray-ishly incorrect, not how ref feels that day.
Kovacic should've been given red anyday but not today. Why? Is it "100%" red or not? VAR couldn't even decide then how is anyone supposed to take next similar-ish decision seriously.
See the issue when you don't set standard? If rulebook is just "guidebook" then any argument is valid, there can't be 100%. VAR is supposed to be pushing percentage closer but what they do is the opposite

But already told you that not how you win an argument if you can't even string more than two coherent sentences together without ad hominem in between.
I'm not the kind of people whom enjoy short dopamine burst from throwing shade on internet as if they had high ground. Maybe pick someone with your type so they can entertain you
First bit is is all happening in your head. Second bit is just factually false.Your first post was "free pen because Liverpool".It was a foul and a pen. Your logic of "this wasn't given so this clear pen should not be awarded either" is just stupid. Nothing else to it. I assure you i get no dopamine rush or entertainment from your posts. Have a great night mate :yawn:

arthurka

Kovacic was a clear red card all day for me studs up straight into the ankle of the Arsenal player. Second one was a yellow all day long.

CoopersDream

The point being both are either pen or they are not.
This is such nonsensical logic. Why should there be more bad calls just because one bad call happened? In this instance, it isn't even the same kind of foul in the two different situations, so they're not really comparable in that way.

This seems like a general trend here anytime two situations shares a small similarity they get called 'the same' - case in point Van Dijk's supposed handball today is apparently the same as the Wolves one a few weeks back. One player held the hand fairly close to his body along his side in a natural position, the other one had his arms straight up and it hit the arm well above his head. They're not really similar, because in what's actually important (where the arm is) they differ very clearly.

Last edited:

Tyrion

They’re an absolute joke! Worse refs and officials in the whole of Europe. We seriously need to bring in some foreign refs. Italian and Spanish refs are the best.
Seriously? And don't make me link to Italian footballs million scandals.

Kovatic got lucky and it probably should have been a 2nd yellow. Its hardly a scandal.

Fridge chutney

The point being both are either pen or they are not. Ref only made easy decision because they fecked up last week so this is kind of "making even". If the situation was reversed, this wouldn't be called. This is not how it should work.
The only error in the scenario you reference was that Gabriel clumsily taking out Hojlund should have been a pen. The decision today with Liverpool was correct. It's as simple as that.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Seriously? And don't make me link to Italian footballs million scandals.

Kovatic got lucky and it probably should have been a 2nd yellow. Its hardly a scandal.
And your going of 1 incident? They’ve been shocking errors all season man, wake up.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Bruno G should have been sent off for second yellow, the way refs decides outcome of every game is ridiculous.

Kovacic should have been off too but at least they lost.

Care_de_Bobo

How on earth did Kovacic and Bruno Guirmares not receive 2 yellow cards? Baffling stuff!
The people in charge of football are simply incompetent. Why can't they use VAR to award/rescind yellow cards which can have as much impact on the game as a straight red.

They also don't bother using it to correct wrong corner/goal kick decisions and this is something that would take about 5 seconds to figure out and can be the difference between winning and losing.

If they cared so much about the flow of the game they wouldn't constantly let teams get away with niggly fouls that break up counter attacks, or make teams retake free kicks after stealing a couple of yards after said counter attacks were unfairly stopped due to tactical fouling.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The people in charge of football are simply incompetent. Why can't they use VAR to award/rescind yellow cards which can have as much impact on the game as a straight red.

They also don't bother using it to correct wrong corner/goal kick decisions and this is something that would take about 5 seconds to figure out and can be the difference between winning and losing.

If they cared so much about the flow of the game they wouldn't constantly let teams get away with niggly fouls that break up counter attacks, or make teams retake free kicks after stealing a couple of yards after said counter attacks were unfairly stopped due to tactical fouling.
I get not bothering with wrongly awarded goal kicks/corners... because even after a corner is wrongly awardded, if a team defends properly they won't concede. Plus then you'd have to start checking wrongly awarded throw-ins/free kicks etc and it could get long and tedious.

Yellow cards, especially second yellow cards should obviously be checked, they're literally equally as "game changing" as a straight red card.

Oranges038

How on earth did Kovacic and Bruno Guirmares not receive 2 yellow cards? Baffling stuff!
One of the refs was in the UAE last week.

The other is probably hoping for a nice trip to Saudi in the future.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Bruno G should have been sent off for second yellow, the way refs decides outcome of every game is ridiculous.

Kovacic should have been off too but at least they lost.
I came in here to post this, after watching the highlights of the Newcastle game this morning. It was what, 1 minute after the first booking, which may have been the only thing that saved him.

Kovacic lost the plot for a few mins. That second tackle was the most brainless thing I’ve seen in a while. He knows he just got away with it a few mins earlier, what the feck was he thinking jumping into a crazy tackle immediately after? Crazy loss of composure.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Kovacic lost the plot for a few mins. That second tackle was the most brainless thing I’ve seen in a while. He knows he just got away with it a few mins earlier, what the feck was he thinking jumping into a crazy tackle immediately after? Crazy loss of composure.
It felt like a situation where he wanted to get sent off, it was such a braindead thing to do, in a really weird area of the pitch as well. Oliver had already decided not to send him off though, his reaction was immediately "no", even though it was a blatant yellow card.