VAR and Refs | General Discussion

Hughes35

Both reached for it and missed. Because it was too high for them to reach.
Glad we finally agree.... the defender challenged Maguire when they both reach for it for it. Hence he becomes offside.

Glad we got there eventually.

I feel like offsides should only be given if the body part that's offside is the body part used to touch the ball.

Maguires shoulder is offside.

cyberman

Always the same posters arguing that borderline VAR decisions against us are always correct

ManUnitedCanuck

good news it’s quite easy now. Just assume any VAR review will go against United and you know the outcome before they do on the pitch.

acnumber9

Glad we finally agree.... the defender challenged Maguire when they both reach for it for it. Hence he becomes offside.

No, he has to impact the defenders ability to play the ball. Which is where it becomes subjective. If the ball is too high, he hasn’t impacted the defender. You’re not very good at this.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
No, he has to impact the defenders ability to play the ball. Which is where it becomes subjective. If the ball is too high, he hasn’t impacted the defender. You’re not very good at this.
Thank you :lol: the defender doesn't get the ball anyway.

Swedish_Plumber

It’s amazing where we might be had we been given some decisions this season. We’ve been utterly shite but there’s a couple of wins left out there because of the way VAR has gone for us.

Hughes35

O well. Let's agree to disagree.

I doubt many people outside of this forum would agree with your view though.

Hopefully we get another goal anyway.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

It says:
  • interfering with an opponent by:
    • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
    • challenging an opponent for the ball or
    • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
    • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
Maguire has done literally none of these things. The defender has no hope of playing the ball, he's not challenged an opponent who has the ball, and his action hasn't impacted a defender, or their ability to play the ball.

They both run and the defender basically decides to foul Maguire. Maguire does nothing to him.

90 + 5min

Now that We know This is beyond football. And everybody should know this by now. Question is where and who are taking decisions that are going against us.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
That’s a genuinely tough one for the refs, I think. It’s right in the grey zone, however clearly crafted the offside rules are.

Berbasbullet

Anyway lets do a sweepstake, what min do we concede a pen? Im going late, 78th minute.

Hammondo

Which part? because you keep referring to things which aren't in there.
    • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
    • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
    • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
Basically any or all of these can be applied.

ManUnitedCanuck

Why was there only 5 mins added time? Thought they track all stoppages now…it’s honestly just make it up every week

binary bot
Maguire offside and clearly interfering with play, only complaint that it’s too often ignored for other goals.

Hammondo

We've all read the rules. Some people, myself included, don't think what Maguire did violates those rules. They're calling it a "subjective offside" for a reason.
I think it can be easily argued he's violates several of them. Let's see what they say at halftime.

acnumber9

O well. Let's agree to disagree.

I doubt many people outside of this forum would agree with your view though.

Hopefully we get another goal anyway.
You mean fans of other teams won’t think United should get a decision? Who gives a shit? It’s a case of whether the rules were applied correctly. You’ve acted high and mighty but you don’t understand the rules.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Basically any or all of these can be applied.
Except none of them can be applied because the defender chooses to engage Maguire, not the other way around

Hughes35

You mean fans of other teams won’t think United should get a decision? Who gives a shit? It’s a case of whether the rules were applied correctly. You’ve acted high and mighty but you don’t understand the rules.
Oh well. I guess different onions are what make the world go around eh ?

I'm just lucky my opinion seems the be the general consensus.

Have good second half buddy.

RuudTom83

Look at any replay long enough and you will find a still frame to disallow a goal.

Thank you VAR for making the beautiful game even better :rolleyes:

All I want to know is why doesn't MotD have a VAR of the week award, and UEFA really need to introduce some award to celebrate the great work VAR are doing.

The Hilton

It is though. The concept of var itself and how it interferes with the game is ridiculous no matter who looks at the silly little replays
Totally disagree, VAR as a concept is great, it means that objectively bad or incorrect decisions are a thing of the past, same with non-decisions.

The issue is with how badly it's been implemented, sometimes interfering, sometimes not, and the people running it making the rules overly convoluted.

The more it can be automated (like offsides in Europe which was resisted by the folks running it over here, as it might take a little power away from them) the better it'll be though, I'm sure we can agree on that.

Thom Merrilin

I think it can be easily argued he's violates several of them. Let's see what they say at halftime.
This is why I said it all comes down to whether that defending player was ever getting to the ball if Maguire wasn't there. You said that doesn't matter but it clearly does.

Dorris

Why have we imported this incompetent ref from the Australian league when we have our own incompetent refs in the lower leagues waiting for their chance?

Devil77

Another farcical decision involving VAR. No matter if Maguire affected play or not, is this what football now has become? An 8 minutes review for a goal… So sick and tired of VAR. get rid now!!!!!

Longshanks

Its a horrible decision, he is offside but does actually interfere? Basically the VAR and ref have deemed that Maguire has affected the opponents ability to play the ball. That his highly debatable. I'm not to convinced by that at all.

klayton88

We should be demanding the audio of this to be released. We won't though. Manager is weak and just accepts it.

Ágætis Byrjun

I feel like offsides should only be given if the body part that's offside is the body part used to touch the ball.

Maguires shoulder is offside.
Maybe I should see it one more time but seemed like no part of Maguire was off.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Their man wasn't clearing that ball whether Maguire was there or not.

I've only ever seen this sort of goal disallowed where someone is blocking the keeper's vision or jumps in front of him late on.
That was a nonsense, but when you're down on your luck everything goes against you.

Oh but the Onana Wolves incident...

that doesn't make up for this, the City light touch pen, the Romero handball v Tott, the was it offside v Arsenal, the Evans being obstructed v Arsenal, and no doubt a few others I've forgotten.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I just read the offside law and Maguire is allowed to go for the ball unless it impacts a defenders ability to get to the ball. I don't think that defender was getting there even if Maguire didn't exist.
Maguire interfered with an opponent and went for the ball while in an offside position. That's the rule. It's clear as day. Not going to argue about something so obvious anymore.

Hammondo

I've only ever seen this sort of goal disallowed where someone is blocking the keeper's vision or jumps in front of him late on.
That was a nonsense, but when you're down on your luck everything goes against you.

that doesn't make up for this, the City light touch pen, the Romero handball v Tott, the was it offside v Arsenal, the Evans being obstructed v Arsenal, and no doubt a few others I've forgotten.
He's very close with Maguire being there, without him he only needs to be a tiny bit faster.

Heinzesight

Even if you think it’s offside and the goal should be disallowed, you won’t see that decision again this season…unless it’s United. They are dying to deny us anything. cnuts.

ManUnitedCanuck

City pen was so over the top. Think of when a defender slides into a challenge and they say the reaction of the offensive player is not justified by the contact. Can you tell me that Rodri was held so strongly his legs gave out and his arms went flying…did the contact match the reaction?

FCAES_7

The whole subjective offside thing is just means it's United let cancel it!! No consistency or anything else. Well Palinha should have been booked for the foul and wasnt, ref is just biased today

Berbasbullet

Even if you think it’s offside and the goal should be disallowed, you won’t see that decision again this season…unless it’s United. They are dying to deny us anything. cnuts.
This, like Hojlund last week, absolutely desperate.

Thom Merrilin

Maguire interfered with an opponent and went for the ball while in an offside position. That's the rule. It's clear as day. Not going to argue about something so obvious anymore.
It's obviously not clear as day since they're calling it a "subjective offside". I'm happy to argue and flesh out my point but ok, run away.

Hammondo

This is why I said it all comes down to whether that defending player was ever getting to the ball if Maguire wasn't there. You said that doesn't matter but it clearly does.
"making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball"

Says nothing about getting there, just impacting his ability to do so.