VAR and Refs | General Discussion

Andy_Cole

Genuinely United would’ve been disallowed on all 3 instances with that haha what a farce. Where’s the consistency.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I think we are reaching the point where something actually needs to be done about VAR. It's ruining football. How can having a team of people looking for reasons to disallow goals be to the benefit of the game?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
That has to be the most hilarious VAR sequence ever. Could make a strong case for it being out of play, foul and offside but goal given :lol:

Nas-JR

How is that different from ours that was deemed to be out of play?? The ball also clearly went forward when Jolteon headed it. VAR is a joke.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Don’t care what anyone says if that’s United it’s ruled out.

joelinton literally has 2 arms pushing Gabriel in the back.

90 + 5min

So the ball is out and clear foul not given. I wonder why?

At least it is first time this season Arsenal got anything against them. Arteta will be all over this in press conference and they will get tons of decisions from next game again.

Fooza

VAR needs sacking off, keep goal line technology and introduce that new fancy offside technology and let refs associate like before. VAR will never be consistent under these refs and so its ruining football.

OldSchoolManc

Ball looked more out than that Rashford assist a few games ago. Allowed.
Foul on defender allowed.
Offside. Allowed.
Brown envelopes and preferential treatment depending on team

chris123

I mean there's almost guaranteed to be at least one feck up there, no?

VAR spent about 2 minutes looking at whether or not our ball was out of play against Palace, but they rushed through that in about 10 seconds before even zooming in? Then they didn't even draw the lines on the offside?

Fairly clear the pressure of VAR taking too long got them there and it's led to an error.

kiristao

We need a side by side image of the Garnacho one that supposedly crossed the line and this one that didnt

Red00012

We need a side by side image of the Garnacho one that supposedly crossed the line and this one that didnt
Just brought this up to my mate . They looked at the Newcastle incident once and decided no proof it went out move on , but when it was United they looked and looked and said no

Anustart89

I mean there's almost guaranteed to be at least one feck up there, no?

VAR spent about 2 minutes looking at whether or not our ball was out of play against Palace, but they rushed through that in about 10 seconds before even zooming in? Then they didn't even draw the lines on the offside?

Fairly clear the pressure of VAR taking too long got them there and it's led to an error.
I'm assuming that they "rushed through that" because it was clear to them that they didn't have the proper angle to clearly ascertain that the on-field call (ball in) was wrong. Which is what they should've done when they ruled our goal out, despite having a better angle it wasn't good enough to say with 100% certainty.

brian017

Wasn't the Gordon ahead of the GK? I'm assuming the ball was judged to be played sideways and not forward?

ManUnitedCanuck

Can’t wait for Howard Webb to tell us how his officials are doing things well…and it’s difficult

chris123

Wasn't the Gordon ahead of the GK? I'm assuming the ball was judged to be played sideways and not forward?
Yeah he was ahead of the keeper, but allegedly in line with the player that headed it, but didn't draw the lines to show whether that was the case or not.

Anustart89

Clear foul and nothing obvious about it being in field.
It wasn't a clear foul. The arms in the back didn't cause Gabriel to lean forward like that, he did it himself because he wanted to head the ball behind him. The arms were there but touching someone's back with your arms isn't a foul, and, even more importantly, the call on the field was no foul so they'd have to prove that no foul was a clear and obvious mistake, which it wasn't.

Similarly, ball was called to have stayed on the pitch, so to overturn it they needed to find evidence that it clearly hadn't and they simply didn't have the proper angle to call that decision so couldn't overturn it.

ManUnitedCanuck

Generally you don't bump into someone you're running away from in the same direction, they need to catch you and instigate contact. You agree with the decision, that's good for you. I don't as it just wasn't right, over 3 minutes to find a obvious error.
Take this a step further…you can not attempt to play the ball and just block the defender off so they can’t get anywhere near the ball, and that is completely OK. Ie. Gabriel on Arsenal’s goal against United.

So perfect just don’t attempt to play the ball and hold players so they can’t get to it either

Morpheus 7

Imagine man united got them 3 var calls with a goal, game would be replayed. VAR is a joke and watch Arteta after this game. He's a crying cnut the best of times, he has a reason to moan now.

Anustart89

Imagine man united got them 3 var calls with a goal, game would be replayed. VAR is a joke and watch Arteta after this game. He's a crying cnut the best of times, he has a reason to moan now.
He won't have a case though.

Which of the three separate VAR calls in that goal should've been different in your opinion? Ball out, foul or offside?

binary bot
Arsenal supporters are some of the more vocal online, looking forward to the reactions after :lol:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'm fecking done with VAR. Get rid. The consistency of decision is so shocking and it takes a fecking age to get to any decision. Would rather go back to what it was.

kiristao

Gordon was behind the ball when it was played so it doesn't matter.
Yeah he was ahead of the keeper, but allegedly in line with the player that headed it, but didn't draw the lines to show whether that was the case or not.
I think he was just about in line with the ball when the Newcastle player heads it but the ball hits the Arsenal defender and actually hits the Newcastle player before it rolls to Gordon. At the point when it hits the Newcastle player, I think Gordon was ahead of the ball but I don't think VAR even checked it.

SER19

hard to see how anybody can still advocate the use of this disaster. I was a big fan of its introduction but it was such a relief watching the league cup midweek without it