VAR and Refs | General Discussion

Yagami

Good post resistant
Bruno getting a yellow there was a disgrace. He was booked for literally trying to take a free kick. Nothing for the Villa player blocking it.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Bruno getting a yellow there was a disgrace. He was booked for literally trying to take a free kick. Nothing for the Villa player blocking it.
Utterly bizarre

SER19

I gave up months ago but somehow its getting worse and finding new bottoms. The Dalot red, and now the Fernandes yellow. Then the stoppage time tonight.

That he can give that yellow and never have to explain it is a broken system.

cyberman

Pretty sure it’s classed as unsportsmanlike behaviour as in trying to get the player booked even though the defender was already getting booked.
It’s a booking from 2008 when they tried to clamp down on those cheap yellows overnight, somehow they changed it to the player taking the free receiving the yellow and never looked near it since.
Until tonight

KKidAA

As @SER19 says above, he doesn't even have to explain it either. It's swept under the carpet and will never be mentioned again. Just because it wasn't a game changing decision doesn't make it any less of a disgrace.
And then at some point Fernandes will be suspended for an important game. I don’t understand in what world that was a booking for Fernandes. It’s even more bizarre that the Villa player got away with his part in it.

SER19

Pretty sure it’s classed as unsportsmanlike behaviour as in trying to get the player booked even though the defender was already getting booked.
It’s a booking from 2008 when they tried to clamp down on those cheap yellows overnight, somehow they changed it to the player taking the free receiving the yellow and never looked near it since.
Until tonight
but its yet another one of those you see every single week, just like dalot, and seemingly only enforced for united. I dont know if these refs get hypersensitive about potentially being accused of united bias or what, but the overcompensation if so, has never been more obvious.

SER19

I don't think the disallowed goal was off. Was a strange angle they used for the lines.

You could write a thesis on the fernandes yellow

Anustart89

How the feck was 9 minutes of ET allowed?
To be fair, Digne+VAR check for our disallowed goal took about three minutes. Then Villa were shithousing from the moment the second half began until we made it 2-2. It's just that by the time we got to stoppage time we didn't need it since we'd turned the game around.

Yagami

Good post resistant
And then at some point Fernandes will be suspended for an important game. I don’t understand in what world that was a booking for Fernandes. It’s even more bizarre that the Villa player got away with his part in it.
So true. And it will come back to bite us because, due to the nature of Bruno's game, he will rack up the cards.

Since the Liverpool game, we've seen so many posts on here pointing out other players getting away with what Dalot was sent off for in other threads. I'm looking forward to seeing the same after this.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I don't think the disallowed goal was off. Was a strange angle they used for the lines.

You could write a thesis on the fernandes yellow
It was off, they showed the picture with the lines from the otherside of the pitch and it looks quite clearly off.

Tbf I thought it was off straight away on first viewing.

SER19

It was off, they showed the picture with the lines from the otherside of the pitch and it looks quite clearly off.

It was a very strange angle that was shown. If you stop it in probably any other it won't look off with lines. Same as garnacho vs arsenal away, there was one angle with lines that looked on. In the tv replay just to the eye he looks on

Anustart89

It was a very strange angle that was shown. If you stop it in probably any other it won't look off with lines. Same as garnacho vs arsenal away, there was one angle with lines that looked on. In the tv replay just to the eye he looks on
Oh for feck’s sake not this again.

SER19

Oh for feck’s sake not this again.
Weird reaction. You can show an angle that shows its off, somebody else can show one where he's level. We can agree that the var decision is final, but its hardly so infuriating to suggest there is a flaw in how and where they draw lines at times. We've seen errors with it plenty of times and offside calls are no different. People seem to think that the offisde lines are as accurate as a ball over the line call- they arent though, theyre a guy with a computer pressing pause and drawing lines at his best estimate

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Weird reaction. You can show an angle that shows its off, somebody else can show one where he's level. We can agree that the var decision is final, but its hardly so infuriating to suggest there is a flaw in how and where they draw lines at times. We've seen errors with it plenty of times and offside calls are no different. People seem to think that the offisde lines are as accurate as a ball over the line call- they arent though, theyre a guy with a computer pressing pause and drawing lines at his best estimate
Goes without saying that I want VAR killed with fire but those lines aren’t created by some guy manually trying to line them up with the end line. They’re computer generated and 100% accurate in terms of being parallel with the goal line. The angle you’re looking at them is irrelevant.

Where it all falls apart though is identifying the moment the ball is played. That creates a huge margin of error, which makes knee cap offsides a total farce.

90 + 5min

Garnacho against Arsenal was not offside. We should have 3 points from that game.

Yesterday I thought it was but I wouldn’t count out that lines were put at wrong time when ball already left the foot. We got shown one (!) example yesterday from 50 miles obove.

90 + 5min

Goes without saying that I want VAR killed with fire but those lines aren’t created by some guy manually trying to line them up with the end line. They’re computer generated and 100% accurate in terms of being parallel with the goal line. The angle you’re looking at them is irrelevant.

Where it all falls apart though is identifying the moment the ball is played. That creates a huge margin of error, which makes knee cap offsides a total farce.
Problem like in Garnacho case was that lines were drawn at wrong time. It is not when ball leaves the foot. It is first contact before leaving the foot.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

Yup as the player can move quite a bit, its only 50fps cameras. The exact moment the foot hits ball won't be captured most likely.

Big grey area.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yup as the player can move quite a bit, its only 50fps cameras. The exact moment the foot hits ball won't be captured most likely.

Big grey area.
Yup. And it’s something that flesh and blood linesmen have been getting spot on for decades, as they can listen to the sound of the ball being struck. All done in real time with decisions made instantly to a consistently excellent standard. And we canned all that because of a load of cry babies who can’t handle human error, so we’re living in a dystopia where people argue about lines on a screen and any goal with even a hint of offside takes minutes to ratify. So fecking annoying.

Sails

Supports
Galatasaray
I think var is at the growing pains stage. We'll probably have near instant and perfect automatic offside detection that'll just buzz the referee's watch or something similar in a decade, which will do away with all this drawing lines charade. I don't think we'll ever go back to the ways. The genie is out of the bottle.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

Same here, close but definitely off, on my feed the comentators called it straight away

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
There's more conspiracies in here than Truth Social and Twitter!

Garnacho's Shoelaces

It's such a coincidence that the UAE are flying PMGOL referees our to the Middle East to earn half their salary (reported, likely more - see Mancini and Yaya Toure) on private jet, all expenses paid trips to oversee Sunday League level games AND City continue to get favourable officiating decisions.

Longshanks

Yup. And it’s something that flesh and blood linesmen have been getting spot on for decades, as they can listen to the sound of the ball being struck. All done in real time with decisions made instantly to a consistently excellent standard. And we canned all that because of a load of cry babies who can’t handle human error, so we’re living in a dystopia where people argue about lines on a screen and any goal with even a hint of offside takes minutes to ratify. So fecking annoying.
I can never understand why they didn't apply the clear and obvious rule to offsides. Pick the nearest frame and best Angle, no lines just a question of has the linesman made a clear and obvious error, anything that looks tight/level go with the linesman's on pitch decision.

RedRocket9908

You’re just trying to catch me out. I can’t win. If I say one is a penalty you’ll say the other should be.
I just cant understand how they claimed ours against Spurs wasnt given because of the close proximity yet the City one tonight that was even closer was given, City also got one awarded against Sheff Utd that was closer proximity than ours against Spurs.