VAR and Refs | General Discussion | May 15: Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season

erikcred

‘Forward invaded the defender’s space’ is not a reason I’ve ever heard for not giving a stonewall penalty.
It's barely a coherent sentence. Wtf is the defender's space? Is he on the tube or something?

LordSpud

VAR isn't the problem: the refs are. Allowing the winner against Everton was a joke and proves some refs don't know the actual rules. He went to the monitor and still gave it
Guarantee if the City game was 1-1 or 2-2 he would have disallowed it. He only let it go because he knew they couldn't win the league no matter what.

He's the most bent of all the officials

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
VAR is a ref

It isn't some AI operating system.

It's a person. We might as well start calling linesman 'Visual Assistive Operator' or VAO for short and referring to them as akin to cyborgs because we use an acronym to describe them.
that's what I said - the tech is fine; the dimwits using it are... dimwits

reddyornot

I was looking at the disallowed goal for Brentford against Newcastle.
Looking at the shadows on the pitch, and the lines on the grass, the Newcastle player in the middle with his arm raised looks to be playing the Brentford player onside.
Probably have to put it down to the curvature of the planet!

Fitchett

As well as yesterday's VAR Michael Oliver being on the payroll of city's owners, in refereeing matches in the UAE, there was another conflict of interest in that Newcastle needed United to lose, for them to qualify for European football next season. So, why the feck was he the VAR?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
As well as yesterday's VAR Michael Oliver being on the payroll of city's owners, in refereeing matches in the UAE, there was another conflict of interest in that Newcastle needed United to lose, for them to qualify for European football next season. So, why the feck was he the VAR?
If he is so biased how come City didn't get a penalty yesterday?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
‘Forward invaded the defender’s space’ is not a reason I’ve ever heard for not giving a stonewall penalty.

I agree it's a penalty but I don't think the panel are making a very cohesive argument either. There is a distinction between cutting across the defender and getting brought down fairly, versus cutting across the defender to manufacture contact. The key point with the latter is your path towards the ball - is it true or have you stepped across to make contact, diverting from the natural path towards the ball? That's the distinction they need to be focusing on to justify why it was a penalty.

whitbyviking

I was surprised the linesman put his flag up for the disallowed Rashford goal, these days they usually let them go to VAR. He did look like he was offside, but it was marginal and you mostly seem to see these left to VAR to decide.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
The Sterling one isn't a mistake for me. Defenders don't have to get out of the way, you're allowed to occupy your space on the pitch. You're just not allowed to move in to the attacker, I think he just runs in to the defender here. No problem with that not being given.

The Oliver one against Everton, they've closed ranks around his decision. No way in a million years he doesn't go with VAR to cancel it unless except for the fact it could cost Arsenal the title as he doesn't know the score in the other game. That simple for me.

Haaland one in the cup final might be given in different circumstances. I'd be happy with massively stricter enforcement of contact in the box on crosses, to stop attackers getting impeded, from corners and set pieces especially. Holding your ground is fine as a defender, but preventing an attacker from moving or moving in to them should be a foul. Problem is they tried it before, for about half a season and there were a lot of penalties given, then they just scrapped that idea. Need to follow it through, will make the game better and more variance in results if you keep enforcing it.

Like the 6 second rule for keepers holding the ball, the law is clear but no one actually enforces it properly.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Haaland throwing himself to the floor isnt a penalty and neither is Foden throwing himself to the floor.
Never suggested they were, but the narrative is that Oliver is a paid lackey of City, he had the perfect opportunity on Saturday to say to the referee "he pulled him down that's a penalty" on the Haaland one, he didn't which suggests that perhaps he isn't in the pocket of anyone, but of course that doesn't fit the agenda