VAR and Refs | General Discussion | May 15: Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'm actually happy with that not being a handball... He didn't know much about it and it didn't really effect play.

Whether it should have been handball by the laws though is a different matter

Anustart89

I actually think it would've been a harsh penalty. His arms were out, yes, but it was a natural jumping motion and the arm wasn't elevated above his head. There was no hand movement towards the ball, and he can't have seen the ball more than a fraction of a second before it hit him as it passed the other players, giving him very little time to react.

I do however think that if that was a United player media would be up in arms about it and the referee would be under much more scrutiny than they'll be now.

kaku06

Vulgarian
I'm actually happy with that not being a handball... He didn't know much about it and it didn't really effect play.

So you can extend your hands now anywhere or make yourself bigger because you don’t know much about it? In that case only blatant intentional handballs are penalties then ala Suarez v Ghana.

cj_sparky

I don't know what handball is anymore tbh.

If we knew that VAR would consistently not give those, then fair enough. But you can guarantee something just as innocuous will be given.

I think I'm still expecting all the handballs we've seen for the last few seasons to be given.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
So you can extend your hands now anywhere or make yourself bigger because you don’t know much about it? In that case only blatant intentional handballs are penalties then ala Suarez v Ghana.
In my perfect world of pens, pretty much! it'd be stuff like that or what Romero did the other week vs us where he star jumped into a block.

I don't think there's too much "unnatural" in JWPs movement arms are sort of up because he's jumping (though they are a bit high)... Think that'll be the VAR justification anyway. That and him having little time to react.

doomy20

Pathetic again. WHEN do we get the obligation to make VAR/ref communication public after games? And implement harsh punishment. 1 clear wrong decision = 5 game ban and no payment.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

I love you bro.

capriciousconor

Supports
Mike Dean
The decision-making is a complete lottery. Assign your choices to head or tails, flip a coin, and then play the edit the footage video game drawing lines and angles to justify what the coin told the official to decide.

RedDevil@84

Imagine one of our players did that. Would have been called a penalty or if not called, Sky and their pals would have ensured that the ref gets suspended.

Doracle

Anyone got a clip of the JWP one? I’ve read a few articles on the match and it’s not even mentioned in any of them.

Amira

We might as well use it only for decisions based solely on technology. The human decisions are shocking

cyberman

This has been a disastrous start of the season for VAR. Everybody needs sacking and starting it again. Michael Oliver is constantly bottling on field decisions

brian017

Right, get rid of VAR. The PL is obviously isn’t using it for the purpose it was intended for.

CoopersDream

That should be offside, but by the current rules it is not. Blame the rules, not the referees.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
That should be offside, but by the current rules it is not. Blame the rules, not the referees.
It absolutely is, by the current rules.

A player moving from, or standing in, an offside position is in the way of an opponent and interferes with the movement of the opponent towards the ball this is an offside offence if it impacts on the ability of the opponent to play or challenge for the ball; if the player moves into the way of an opponent and impedes the opponent's progress (e.g blocks the opponent) the offence should be penalised under Law 12
https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

Sylar

Howard Webb,fair play. Somehow made var even more infuriating and useless

CoopersDream

Could you please clarify what this rule is?
He wasn't obstructing the view of the goalkeeper, no offside. He wasn't physically interfeering with the goalkeeper so he didn't impact his ability to reach the ball, no offside.

jadaba

The fact that there are still so many contentious outcomes despite VAR tells you that its primary legacy has been to leave a crushing doubt after every goal that stops you from celebrating with your all for fear of it being disallowed.

Name Changed

weso26
That was worse than the Wolves decision. Absolutely disgraceful. What's the point in having VAR if the wrong decisions keep being made when they are blatantly obvious?

Von Mistelroum

It does seem to be that VAR is mostly used to give goals that they want to give if they can find a way to claim that it's somehow justified.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Howard Webb,fair play. Somehow made var even more infuriating and useless
Not surprising when he himself was a dog shite ref who somehow gained a reputation as favouring Utd despite then giving us no decisions for a decade.

bleedred

How many times the past few years have we had to change the rules of the game just so to accommodate this piece of crap technology.

It's frustrating for fans and moreover for players if we start meddling with the basic features of the game.

So hypothetically, the attacking team could have 2-3 players beside the GK during a free kick and as long as they aren't touching the ball, the aren't offside.

Name Changed

weso26

cyberman

He wasn't obstructing the view of the goalkeeper, no offside. He wasn't physically interfeering with the goalkeeper so he didn't impact his ability to reach the ball, no offside.
Ball literally goes past him obstructing the keeper view of the ball there mate.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
He did obstruct and interfere. The dude didn’t even celebrate, he just walked away. He knew it was off.

cyberman

He did obstruct and interfere. The dude didn’t even celebrate, he just walked away. He knew it was off.
There’s a pic going round of the player kicking / getting out of the way a split second after the ball goes past him. VAR May pause the video and say the ball is already past but I real terms it’s basically a simultaneous action