VAR and Refs | General Discussion | May 15: Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I don't think anyone has any qualms with tonight's goal being ruled out really.

The annoyance is when it always seems like the referees find the rulebook when it's us on the end of it.

This was deemed as Nketiah not interfering with de Gea's line of vision, because this is normally how a goalkeeper stands as an attacker is taking a shot.

Edit: Seen that it's already been posted.
There were definitely posters who were adamant that it wasn't an offside offence according to the rules.

I do agree that the lack of consistency is an issue and the main reason I'm against VAR - it was introduced to reduce refereeing errors but really hasn't done that at all.

Dan_F

I’m sorry but this is incredibly harsh. As soon as Evans heads the ball it’s the keeper pushing Hojlund and the striker moving out of the way. Literally everything before the header doesn’t mean a thing before this decision
https://dubz.co/mc/449f18
He’s pushing him because Hojland is next to him in an offside position :lol:

fergies coat

There were definitely posters who were adamant that it wasn't an offside offence according to the rules.

I do agree that the lack of consistency is an issue and the main reason I'm against VAR - it was introduced to reduce refereeing errors but really hasn't done that at all.
He was offside. I posted the Xhaka goal because of the consistency. Just get rid of it. Football was better without it. It just seems to be to much of a deciding factor in games, they chose to look at some incidents and forget the others. What's the point.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
He was offside. I posted the Xhaka goal because of the consistency. Just get rid of it. Football was better without it. It just seems to be to much of a deciding factor in games, they chose to look at some incidents and forget the others. What's the point.
I agree

Amir

Your right, I'd rather just get rid of it altogether. No one would of argued over someone being a fraction offside before VAR.
They would just argue about other things. And also, many refereeing mistakes which ARE being corrected now by VAR, will remain oncorrected.

People just have short memories.

As for people being offside by a fraction, it's simple: If you're a fraction offside, then you're offside.

Bobski

Been weird with Utd this season in that people have been raging about the correct decisions being made. That was obvious tonight.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Been weird with Utd this season in that people have been raging about the correct decisions being made. That was obvious tonight.
People are raging because we’ve had VAR ignore offside players interfering when we have conceded.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
Yes, the ruled that was applied the exact same way in the City game a couple of weeks ago.
My point was that it's the rule, in response to a poster who thought it wasn't and that a player was required to touch the ball. The fact that refs are shit and apply the rule inconsistently is another matter entirely (one that I also think needs to be addressed).

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It's a very inconsistent law. One I actually thought they were relaxing compared to two years ago where anyone seemingly within 5 yards of a keeper was being called offside.

Given I was going on about the penalty the other day only fair I say we scored a goal v Burnley when Watkins was directly in their keeper's vision and it was given so it really isn't a defined law at all.

Dan_F

It’s been a lot against us in a short space of time. The Arsenal and Brighton ones probably wouldn’t have been given a second thought if they were scored against us.

The Bayern should never be a pen though. A lot of them are problems are with the rules, rather than VAR. I don’t think that handball is given a few years ago when VAR came in, but now they want to justify everything.

I honestly think without VAR, everything evens itself out and very rarely you get that one that decides something like a title (Chelsea offside).

Dan_F

But standing beside someone isn’t an offside offence. The ball is coming from in front of the keeper.
Mate, the ball literally goes where Hojlund was standing when the ball was headed. How on earth can you think he isn’t interfering with the keeper.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
As for people being offside by a fraction, it's simple: If you're a fraction offside, then you're offside.
They’re not able to actually make these determinations as accurately as they say they are.

They’ll flick back and forth between frames like it’s super scientific and they’ll show you the little lines they draw but they can’t actually tell that accurately when the ball left the passers foot. This is never acknowledged by anyone in the media, and it’s ridiculous.

tomaldinho1

Just simplify the law and if it’s offside, it’s no goal regardless of interference level. Bit of a shit compromise but only way to get consistency, that or keepers wear a go pro which VAR analyses :lol:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
They’re not able to actually make these determinations as accurately as they say they are.

They’ll flick back and forth between frames like it’s super scientific and they’ll show you the little lines they draw but they can’t actually tell that accurately when the ball left the passers foot. This is never acknowledged by anyone in the media, and it’s ridiculous.
The rule makes even less sense when you read it. The offside begins as soon as the player making the pass touches the ball, not when he releases it. That’s when they freeze the frame and draw the lines.

Oranges038

My point was that it's the rule, in response to a poster who thought it wasn't and that a player was required to touch the ball. The fact that refs are shit and apply the rule inconsistently is another matter entirely (one that I also think needs to be addressed).
Yeah, it's not a situation that crops up that often for it to be difficult to get right.

JSArsenal

VAR is only exposing the incompetence of the referees. Yet somehow the technology keeps getting all of the blame instead of the clowns who use it incorrectly.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
But standing beside someone isn’t an offside offence. The ball is coming from in front of the keeper.
We’d want it given the other way around. But yet again all I’m reminded of is a similar instance when we didn’t get the decision.

C'est Moi Cantona

Didn't Wenger come up with the idea of using the thickness of one of the lines they draw as margin by which the attacker gets the advantage, or what could also be used as margin of error by which millisecond they decide to draw the lines in the first place. I can't remember the exact details but it was something like that, seems like a good idea to me.

cyberman

Mate, the ball literally goes where Hojlund was standing when the ball was headed. How on earth can you think he isn’t interfering with the keeper.
Because the keeper is jumping the other way?

ManUnitedCanuck

This is the problem with VAR, as a fan we expect there to be consistency when officials get to see a very similar play with slow motion replays. However, that is not the goal of VAR and not the intention, which causes huge problems.

We see similar incidents and expect similar outcomes, but that doesn’t happen. As a fan that is hugely frustrating!

Parma Dewol

I was an advocate for VAR, having seen technology successfully implemented in other sports.

Must now admit it’s proving to be a disaster in football. Consistency is as bad as ever, and worse still, it’s sucking the fun out of the game.

The last few seasons really have been a shit show of God-awful officiating. What’s offside, what isn’t, when is a handball really a handball, will we have two minutes of stoppage time or 20, and will we be able at to draw a straight line on the pitch.

Too many radical changes in a short space of time, and most just haven’t stuck.

Was hopeful VAR would make the game fairer, but that just hasn’t happened. It’s also bizarre how VAR isn’t used for obvious incorrect decisions. There was a corner given in this evening’s match that clearly came off the other player last and should have been a goal kick. It was immediately obvious after one replay, yet play continued regardless.

Have so little faith in the powers that be getting it right anytime soon but guess there’s no going back now.

Oranges038

Not hearing much noise about the decision in the Luton game. The penalty they got was a joke.

Even the red card was questionable, yellow would have been enough there, Wolves player was being held down and just has a little push back with his foot. .

SER19

United matches are hardly the only ones played in the world of footba..

Also, you can't list more DEFINITELY wrong than right.
So by that second sentence, youre happy with using var for decisions that aren't definite one way or another?

And yes youre right, United arent the only matches. Barely a gameweek goes by without at least one disaster, even with var giving video evidence to correct or prevent the disaster. It's not helping refs be more consistent, theyre worse than theyve ever been

SER19

I’ll go one further, I think they’ve paused it just as the ball hits Evans head and not when he heads it down and across because he’s looking forward in the paused pic. His head should be titled to the left surely if he’s heading it that way.
This, the garnacho 'offside' and the Hojlund ball out of play goal v Brighton all show how flawed it is.

Fitchett

This

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Not hearing much noise about the decision in the Luton game. The penalty they got was a joke.

Even the red card was questionable, yellow would have been enough there, Wolves player was being held down and just has a little push back with his foot. .
Honestly if they can’t overturn that penalty then I am wondering really what even is the point of using it is

FortunaUtd

Yes, and they were invariably allowed, because De Gea was "weak". Hojlund didn't even touch the keeper there. Its the same as always, one rule for United, a different rule for everyone else.
Am I allowed to say that I find this pervasive conspiracy and victimization complex extremely annoying?

stw2022

Var to be used if someone handled the ball into the net or kicked the opposition defender in the bollocks, or standing so far offside you could drive a bus through it. Clear and obvious officiating feck-ups

"Let's look at every aspect of the build up under a microscope and see if we can find a reason why we should rule this goal out" can feck off

Amir

So by that second sentence, youre happy with using var for decisions that aren't definite one way or another?
No, but then, you can also say that one person will look at an incident and reach a definite conclusion while another will not...

As long as human beings are involved, some inconsistency will remain. However, VAR definitely corrects errors, and plenty of them. So I'll always take that over one referee making a decision based on what he saw in real time.

Refereeing is NOT worse than it has been. That claim is based on short memory.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Hojlund one was clearly offside, but frustrating after the City one was given.

olasunkanmi owolarafe

I thought it was stated sometime this season that there shall be more transparency and explanations given by Referees for every major decision taken for all the fans to see the reasons behind those decisions.

olasunkanmi owolarafe

I missed the match , please what happened to Martinez and Regulion again ?
How did Rashford fair today , any improvement and zest?