VAR and Refs | General Discussion | May 15: Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season

Heinzesight

Based on Antony’s yellow, if we’d had this VAR team in Copenhagen we probably go through. In fact, Antony’s was more cynical that Rashford’s ‘red’.

FerociousCorgis

was the handball prob right outside the box, yeah. But hilarious they didnt even look at the Kim handball i think it was. He literally flicked his hand up and knocked the ball. Didnt have a whole lot of time to react, but clearly he had enough to make a movement towards it from first viewing. No idea what is a handball anymore

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City

padr81

Supports
Man City
was the handball prob right outside the box, yeah. But hilarious they didnt even look at the Kim handball i think it was. He literally flicked his hand up and knocked the ball. Didnt have a whole lot of time to react, but clearly he had enough to make a movement towards it from first viewing. No idea what is a handball anymore
They'd have looked at it, but it wouldn't take more than a second to know it was outside the box and VAR's jurisdiction.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Apparently she was shite in the main WSL game at the weekend. Will fit in nicely.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Wow that's absolutely mad they're letting a woman referee in the Premier League

May say a less modern person than myself who holds the opinion this is a fantastic decision and that equality is a good thing for our progression as a human species.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Samid attacking the woman already and nobody here is surprised at that development

Doracle

Looks like she’s refereed 6 championship matches so far? Feels like a very quick jump up. Any feedback on how she has being doing?

Hoof the ball

Looks like she’s refereed 6 championship matches so far? Feels like a very quick jump up. Any feedback on how she has being doing?
Six games?

Must be because her performances were so outstanding in those six Championship games. Either that or this is some incredible PR at a time when refs are being battered. :lol:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Where the feck was the offside here? :wenger:

Double touch from the free kick taker. Any player restarting play can never touch the ball twice in a row. Free kick hit the crossbar and went straight back to him without touching anyone else.

Doracle

Double touch from the free kick taker. Any player restarting play can never touch the ball twice in a row. Free kick hit the crossbar and went straight back to him without touching anyone else.
Oh great spot. Actually excellent VAR work. Shame that they put up a message saying it was offside though!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Where the feck was the offside here? :wenger:

I know it says it was offside, but I would guess it was actually disallowed because the free taker was the next person to touch the ball after it hit the bar.

The ball:
  • must be stationary and the kicker must not touch the ball again until it has touched another player

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I'm trying to remember if a penalty taker has knocked in a penalty that has rebounded off the post but I can't.

One of those rules you just forget about until you see it.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Ah fair enough. Thanks for that. Brilliant spot by VAR then.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Hopefully Rebecca Welch will do a great job this weekend. God knows the male refs could use some decent reinforcements.
Im guessing here but I would assume she has been reffing lower level mens game for a while before this, hope she has a great game. I have some sympathy for Refs at present, the game just keeps getting faster and also those who keep tweaking the rules are not making things easier for the refs. I am more inclined to complain about our governing bodies than refs these days, the VAR thing has been a massive fail and the Refs are having to deal with that balls up as well as all other things ref related. Its a seriously fecking hard job being a ref, something most of us dont appreciate

whitbyviking

I was watching the WSL Arsenal vs Chelsea game at the weekend and she was poor, my brother had seen her referee Middlesbrough though and she was apparently good, better than a lot of the male refs he’d seen this season. So she’s maybe inconsistent, which definitely qualifies her as a ref these days :lol:

Wing Attack Plan R

Im guessing here but I would assume she has been reffing lower level mens game for a while before this, hope she has a great game. I have some sympathy for Refs at present, the game just keeps getting faster and also those who keep tweaking the rules are not making things easier for the refs. I am more inclined to complain about our governing bodies than refs these days, the VAR thing has been a massive fail and the Refs are having to deal with that balls up as well as all other things ref related. Its a seriously fecking hard job being a ref, something most of us dont appreciate
I completely agree. That recent farce of Mike Dean not overturning that red card incident because it was his mate and he didn't want to make his job harder only goes to show how much of an utter disaster VAR is. I think with women reffing men's games, men won't be getting up in their faces like they do when it's a chinless weakling like Oliver. All the dick swinging between male refs and players will be gone, and hopefully what's left is someone who just calls 'em like she sees 'em.

You're right about the speed of the game, too, and she might have more of an issue keeping up with play. VAR should be used if the center ref calls for it, not operating on its own. So if she thinks she missed an incident off the ball, she can signal for VAR to have a look, that kind of thing. I hate how VAR checks every player off the ball in a goal incident to see if they can find any reason to call the goal back, and it's even worse with their fecking offside lines they draw.

Just let the game flow, get refs who don't need to swing their dicks to show they are in charge, and use VAR for those clear and obvious errors, emphasizing both clear and obvious.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That’s mad. Can’t believe I’ve watched so much football over the years and never once see that happens before.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
There was a weird offside check in the Chelsea game. Kept on focusing on Jackson for a good minute even though the ball went nowhere near him. :confused:

ItDoesntEvenMata

I completely agree. That recent farce of Mike Dean not overturning that red card incident because it was his mate and he didn't want to make his job harder only goes to show how much of an utter disaster VAR is. I think with women reffing men's games, men won't be getting up in their faces like they do when it's a chinless weakling like Oliver. All the dick swinging between male refs and players will be gone, and hopefully what's left is someone who just calls 'em like she sees 'em.

You're right about the speed of the game, too, and she might have more of an issue keeping up with play. VAR should be used if the center ref calls for it, not operating on its own. So if she thinks she missed an incident off the ball, she can signal for VAR to have a look, that kind of thing. I hate how VAR checks every player off the ball in a goal incident to see if they can find any reason to call the goal back, and it's even worse with their fecking offside lines they draw.

Just let the game flow, get refs who don't need to swing their dicks to show they are in charge, and use VAR for those clear and obvious errors, emphasizing both clear and obvious.
Why would a female ref have trouble keeping up with the speed of the game if she'd passed the same fitness test as other prem refs?

Admittedly, she might struggle to match the thoroughbred prowess of say Jon Moss but I think this was a bit of a silly oversight just because she's a woman

Wing Attack Plan R

Why would a female ref have trouble keeping up with the speed of the game if she'd passed the same fitness test as other prem refs?

Admittedly, she might struggle to match the thoroughbred prowess of say Jon Moss but I think this was a bit of a silly oversight just because she's a woman
Because men are faster, in general. It's not hard to understand.

Flying high

I didn't watch the match, so they may have shown a replay that cleared it up, but city's 2nd looked offside to me? No mention of a check on the highlights though.