VAR and Refs | General Discussion | May 15: Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season

cyberman

Suppose it would be interesting to see of opinions align on this issue when you compare the one Bruno got versus the one Jota got.
To be fair they’re completely different. If Bruno ran half the pitch and decided to fall then they would be similar.

ShinjiNinja26

Why are people bringing up the Jota one like it’s in any way comparable? Bruno got clipped and went straight down from the contact, whereas Jota got clipped stayed on his feet and took another couple of steps before launching himself to the floor like he’d been shot.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
To be fair they’re completely different. If Bruno ran half the pitch and decided to fall then they would be similar.
I dont think they're all that different. Both won fouls because of minimal contact. Bruno can argue the contact was enough to make him go down, Jota can argue it was enough to make him lose balance and eventually go down.

In neither case was the contact enough to send either of them to the ground. But since when has that been important anyway?

Both are given again and again, week in week out.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Why are people bringing up the Jota one like it’s in any way comparable? Bruno got clipped and went straight down from the contact, whereas Jota got clipped stayed on his feet and took another couple of steps before launching himself to the floor like he’d been shot.
So Bruno made it look better?

cyberman

I dont think they're all that different. Both won fouls because of minimal contact. Bruno can argue the contact was enough to make him go down, Jota can argue it was enough to make him lose balance and eventually go down.

In neither case was the contact enough to send either of them to the ground. But since when has that been important anyway?

Both are given again and again, week in week out.
We 100 percent know it wasn’t enough to send Jota to the floor, he choose to throw himself down.
That’s the difference. You see pens like Bruno’s every week in every other game. It’s not even some fleeting contact, he gets him right on the top of the foot.
It’s not even in the same universe

Edit if Jota when down right away then I agree it’s a pen. But he didn’t and nothing I can do changes that.

Last edited:

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool
It’s his left foot that’s clipped. And he does that thing where he feels the contact then refuses to put any weight on the foot that the keeper touched to make it look as though he was tripped up. It’s a textbook dive but looks more obvious than usual because he had gone so far past the keeper when his diving instinct kicked in.
And you are defending Fernandes? Said at the time, both Liverpool pens against Newcastle had contact on the attacker, go down easy, but contact, that is diving according to a lot of United fans until it is Fernandes and then contact means fair penalty.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
And you are defending Fernandes? Said at the time, both Liverpool pens against Newcastle had contact on the attacker, go down easy, but contact, that is diving according to a lot of United fans until it is Fernandes and then contact means fair penalty.
The obvious difference is Bruno didn’t take a step after contact, before deciding to hit the deck. They both could have been dives but only Jota left absolutely no doubt.

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool
The obvious difference is Bruno didn’t take a step after contact, before deciding to hit the deck. They both could have been dives but only Jota left absolutely no doubt.
so they were both dives, both could of stayed up, just difference in how they dived. I just think views should be consistent. I think all 3 were penalties, very soft, but contact made to the players foot and if they don't go down, they don't get the pen.

Pogue Mahone

so they were both dives, both could of stayed up, just difference in how they dived. I just think views should be consistent. I think all 3 were penalties, very soft, but contact made to the players foot and if they don't go down, they don't get the pen.
I said they both could have been dives. We don’t know if Bruno dived. We do know he was kicked on his foot and immediately went down. So he gets the benefit of the doubt, which we can’t give to Jota who clearly chose to fling himself to the ground after the initial contact.

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool
I said they both could have been dives. We don’t know if Bruno dived. We do know he was kicked on his foot and immediately went down. So he gets the benefit of the doubt, which we can’t give to Jota who clearly chose to fling himself to the ground after the initial contact.
Ok, we all know Fernandes could have easily stayed up, he's better at executing the dive, but as I said, entitled to go to ground when clipped, not getting pen otherwise.

mctrials23

Whats been astonishing is that pretty much every Liverpool fan I have spoken to hasn't entertained the idea that Jotas was a dive. Lots of United fans have accepted that Brunos was.

Pogue Mahone

Ok, we all know Fernandes could have easily stayed up, he's better at executing the dive, but as I said, entitled to go to ground when clipped, not getting pen otherwise.
He definitely could have stayed up. Where he gets the benefit of the doubt from me is that being kicked on the foot can hurt like hell and it could have been that which caused him to hit the deck. Obviously none of us know whether the impact was painful or not. But we can’t rule that out. Which is another way the incident last night differed from Jota.

Oranges038

Clear bias will say it’s a penalty. The rest of the football world will say it’s a dive.

Exact same as Jota for me. Blatant cheating.
Pretty much it. Although some of the people in here saying it was a pen, probably also thought Diaz pen was soft or he dived last week, same for Jota.

When you here the words clever, waited, knew what he was doing etc.. pretty much means he bought it. Whatever way you want to look at it, it's cheating, plain and simple.

cyberman

Here’s where it falls down for me, that’s a pen for Bruno in today’s game. It just is. Posters in this thread are pretending otherwise for some strange reason or trying to reset the clock to 1994 to argue otherwise. He was hit on top of the foot by a trailing leg, it’s a pen. Bruno just ensures it is.
Where Jota differs is that he stayed on his feet. If he went down it’s a pen since you can’t prove he wasn’t impeded..but he stayed on his feet. There’s extra steps to evaluate and it wasn’t a pen since it then becomes a clear dive.
This thread reads as if it’s a neutral forum with fans trying to argue just to argue. These same posters will be on here again arguing a once in 1000 every game instance that are constantly given against us is justified because it technically goes against the rules and all they’re asking for is consistency

Edit just a reminder

Last edited:

RedRocket9908

Where he gets the benefit of the doubt from me is that being kicked on the foot can hurt like hell and it could have been that which caused him to hit the deck. Obviously none of us know whether the impact was painful or not. But we can’t rule that out. Which is another way the incident last night differed from Jota.
Exactly, it wasnt a dive as he didny throw himsrlf to the floor like Jota did he was kicked in the foot and went down instictively.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Here’s where it falls down for me, that’s a pen for Bruno in today’s game. It just is. Posters in this thread are pretending otherwise for some strange reason or trying to reset the clock to 1994 to argue otherwise. He was hit on top of the foot by a trailing leg, it’s a pen. Bruno just ensures it is.
Where Jota differs is that he stayed on his feet. If he went down it’s a pen since you can’t prove he wasn’t impeded..but he stayed on his feet. There’s extra steps to evaluate and it wasn’t a pen since it then becomes a clear dive.
This thread reads as if it’s a neutral forum with fans trying to argue just to argue. These same posters will be on here again arguing a once in 1000 every game instance that are constantly given against us is justified because it technically goes against the rules and all they’re asking for is consistency

Edit just a reminder

Looking at that footage, Bruno is clearly clipped. I wouldn't call this a definite stonewaller but I'd 100% be upset if that wasn't given for Chelsea.

IRN-BRUno

I thought it was soft but even the Wigan manager admitted it was a penalty.

"At the time, I wasn't so sure, but I've no complaints.
I have since seen a slow motion replay, and what I will say is when you attempt a tackle like that - and there is contact - then it's going to be a penalty."

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
That's such a farce. So the process appears to have been: ref on the pitch didn't give it, VAR with the benefit of replays told the ref to give it, then the PGMOL review panel with the benefit of replays admit they got it wrong the first time.

Clear. As. Mud.

Hammondo

I say all dives, contact was minimal.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
That's such a farce. So the process appears to have been: ref on the pitch didn't give it, VAR with the benefit of replays told the ref to give it, then the PGMOL review panel with the benefit of replays admit they got it wrong the first time.

Clear. As. Mud.
Mad :lol:

Longshanks

In the current era the Bruno penalty has to be given. Doesn't make it right though. Much like the Jota and Diaz ones last week, contact was minimal player throws themselves to the floor, penalty awarded.

VAR was a perfect opportunity to clamp down on simulation but instead it has encouraged it. Players know if there is any contact and the ref gives it, it won't get overturned.

mctrials23

I thought it was soft but even the Wigan manager admitted it was a penalty.

"At the time, I wasn't so sure, but I've no complaints.
I have since seen a slow motion replay, and what I will say is when you attempt a tackle like that - and there is contact - then it's going to be a penalty."
Thats the manager saying that he didn't think there was any contact at the time but when he saw it later he realised there was contact and any contact like that in the box is given as a penalty when the player goes down. I doubt he agreed with it even on second viewing.

re. Calvert Lewin, looking forward to players sliding in with straight legs and studs up and not getting reds now....

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Highlight re: Everton would be if they had Dermot Gallagher speaking on the decision last week - because he will have supported it, then watching him also support the overturn of the ban.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Highlight re: Everton would be if they had Dermot Gallagher speaking on the decision last week - because he will have supported it, then watching him also support the overturn of the ban.
He can’t win!

Righteous Steps

If you kick someone on the ankle in the box its normally a penalty, bizarre people think players shouldn't go down.

Lost bear

Luton's controversial equaliser, looks like a foul on the keeper to me

Not to me. The forward is not obliged to get out of the keeper’s way so that he can get to the ball. I think the goalkeeper just misjudged it. He’d done really well coming out until that point.

That said, goalkeepers being a protected species, I fully expected VAR to disallow it.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Luton player is backing into the keeper with his arse not just standing is ground, I fully expected that to be given as a foul tbh
Just another decision that shows how pointless VAR is as no one knows who will agree on the outcomes anyway

RedRocket9908

Luton player is backing into the keeper with his arse not just standing is ground, I fully expected that to be given as a foul tbh
Just another decision that shows how pointless VAR is as no one knows who will agree on the outcomes anyway
Its one of those where you can guarentee that if the on-field decision had have been no goal VAR wouldnt have overturned it.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's a pretty obvious foul in my book, he's not standing his ground, he's actively backing into the keeper, it's a foul.