VAR and Refs | General Discussion | Forest go into meltdown

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Knee high studs in lunge isn't a red now?

Ref must be looking at the screen going, why has this been reviewed? Presumably VAR order the overturn ?

What's he supposed to have missed?

Anustart89

Knee high studs in lunge isn't a red now?

Ref must be looking at the screen going, why has this been reviewed? Presumably VAR order the overturn ?

What's he supposed to have missed?
I just don’t understand what they’re doing. They’re now saying that a wild knee height lunge with two feet off the ground is never in a million years a red card based on that going to review and being deemed a clear and obvious error, presumably because it wasn’t studs that made contact, and then next week they’ll be wondering why players are flying into tackles like that.

They’re legitimising dangerous tackle with their officiating and next week someone’s going to get their leg snapped in two and everyone will go “we have to outlaw dangerous tackles like this!!!”

Lecland07

Nowhere near a red. If that was, every single time someone kicks the ball near a player the would have to be red carded.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I just don’t understand what they’re doing. They’re now saying that a wild knee height lunge with two feet off the ground is never in a million years a red card based on that going to review and being deemed a clear and obvious error, presumably because it wasn’t studs that made contact, and then next week they’ll be wondering why players are flying into tackles like that.

They’re legitimising dangerous tackle with their officiating and next week someone’s going to get their leg snapped in two and everyone will go “we have to outlaw dangerous tackles like this!!!”
I don't understand the review in the first place. Then once it's reviewed, I don't get what the referee can possibly see that would justify the change of card.

Then you see this from March:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vid...3/ref-watch-was-allan-red-card-the-right-call

You can only laugh really :lol:

Zen

I don't understand the review in the first place. Then once it's reviewed, I don't get what the referee can possibly see that would justify the change of card.

Then you see this from March:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vid...3/ref-watch-was-allan-red-card-the-right-call

You can only laugh really :lol:
That's a good one for the comparison.... it was a joke but absurdly justified as to where the game is, there are loads of others. But that's identical. If things like this get consistently overturned, then cool. But they won't.

But then it only takes one to take a weird movement leading to a serious injury and we'll be straight back to square one again. I'll take this overturn as an absolute anomaly, and down to KdB not actually rolling over and crying like a baby for 5 minutes.

Bulldog United

If you take players out with no intention of playing the ball to stop a threatening attack, a red card should always be on the table. There's no doubt challenges like todays can lead to serious injuries, and it's not an accident when you're deliberately taking a player out like that.

It would have the added benefit of keeping McTominay out suspended for large parts of the season.

Danny

Nowhere near a red. If that was, every single time someone kicks the ball near a player the would have to be red carded.
Don’t be daft, it’s a late, high, cynical and stupid challenge and the ball is way gone. He’s lazy in that situation. Also, wasn’t just a little trip it’s a lunge.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
That's a good one for the comparison.... it was a joke but absurdly justified as to where the game is, there are loads of others. But that's identical. If things like this get consistently overturned, then cool. But they won't.

But then it only takes one to take a weird movement leading to a serious injury and we'll be straight back to square one again. I'll take this overturn as an absolute anomaly, and down to KdB not actually rolling over and crying like a baby for 5 minutes.
The Allen one is a less dangerous tackle by quite a bit imo, upgraded from a yellow to a red! Saint Maximin is going far slower and whilst it's a lunge from Allen, it's lower than Trippiers. It's a much more marginal call.

De Bruyne is going at speed and is taken out by a knee high lunge. Just because Trippier didn't injure De Bruyne, on this occasion, doesn't mean it wasn't dangerous. It's a red and I expect they'll be some trouble about how VAR has been used and the decision itself.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
i'm proud the ref had the courage to reverse his decision after realizing trippier is a good lad who didn't mean any harm

Nowhere near a red. I wish those cynical challenges were sending off offences, but its not the way the rules are written. It's good to see VAR being used properly for once.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Well well well... Not that I'm complaining mind.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
VAR could move the line, so it actually touches the defender in which case it would have been offside. VAR could make it offside, if they wanted to. It's so close though, you should be giving benefit of the doubt to the attacker. It's just the inconsistency that's the problem. Same deal for the Lukaku goal disallowed in the League Cup final, move the vertical line on his arm a couple of pixels, hey presto, he's then onside.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

That's interesting.
His arm is out to brace himself from running into Adams, nothing unusual about that. Plus the distance between them means it's unlikely to be given as handball.

After that it's hard to see, but looks like Adams handballs it next and then McT. Again nothing really unnatural, the ball is just ricocheting around.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
There’s no chance that’s a penalty and I’d say the same if that went for the the opposition. Shouldnt be giving penalties for stuff like that.

Gums

Well done by the referee, who clearly indicated no penalty. Otherwise, VAR may have gotten involved.

Superunknown

They need to eliminate slow motion, in my opinion.

Tackles are made in real time. When the ball is travelling in the air and a defender reacts to it, they react to it in real time. When a ball strikes a hand after another player takes a shot, that happens in real time.

Slowing things down is always going to make things look much worse or even sinister at times. But, that's not how the game is played. The game is played at speed. It's illogical to slow it down to make a judgement call. The metric you're then applying to judge a player is not the same one that it applied when they're actually playing the game.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Unless the rules have changed this season I'd have expected that to be allowed as it's in line with loads of other decisions we've seen over the last few seasons where a defender plays the ball to stop it going to a player in an offside position and then inadvertently plays them back on.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Unless the rules have changed this season I'd have expected that to be allowed as it's in line with loads of other decisions we've seen over the last few seasons where a defender plays the ball to stop it going to a player in an offside position and then inadvertently plays them back on.
It’s a fecking terrible interpretation of the laws of the game. Makes a complete farce of the whole purpose of the offside rule.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It’s a fecking terrible interpretation of the laws of the game. Makes a complete farce of the whole purpose of the offside rule.
Yep, people complain about it every time it happens.

This goal in the nations league final being the example that stands out in my mind. Defender obviously only slides in because of Mbappe but then his touch ends up playing Mbappe on.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

This goal in the nations league final being the example that stands out in my mind. Defender obviously only slides in because of Mbappe but then his touch ends up playing Mbappe on.

Why the hell can’t they fix something which is so obviously broken? Just cannot get my head around technology being introduced to football which is supposed to better enforce the laws of the game, only to so obviously undermine them.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Why the hell can’t they fix something which is so obviously broken? Just cannot get my head around technology being introduced to football which is supposed to better enforce the laws of the game, only to so obviously undermine them.
I don't know what rule you could put in place to stop that though? Gotta be on side the last time your team touches the ball maybe?

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
They need to eliminate slow motion, in my opinion.

Tackles are made in real time. When the ball is travelling in the air and a defender reacts to it, they react to it in real time. When a ball strikes a hand after another player takes a shot, that happens in real time.

Slowing things down is always going to make things look much worse or even sinister at times. But, that's not how the game is played. The game is played at speed. It's illogical to slow it down to make a judgement call. The metric you're then applying to judge a player is not the same one that it applied when they're actually playing the game.
I’ve been saying this for years. No sports are played in slow motion. If the ref can’t catch it in real time on a second look then let the original call stand. That being said McTominays two handballs in one play was so blatant but wasn’t getting called.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
How did city get away with that third goal being disallowed. Ederson had clearly released the ball that should be standing every day of the week. 3-0 would have been a different game.

arnie_ni

I don't know what rule you could put in place to stop that though? Gotta be on side the last time your team touches the ball maybe?
That's the way it used to be.

Even today, rashford passed the ball to sancho and then actually ended up taking it on himself. Years ago the flag just goes up the second the pass is intended for someone offside and its a FK out.

At least in that scenario sancho didn't Try to get the pass, but in the mbappe one above, the ball is intended for him and he makes a move towards it, shouldn't matter what happens between the pass and him receiving it at that stage, it's offside.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

They changed the law so it would now be offside:

It is then explained that "deliberate play" is when a player has control of the ball and has the potential to gain possession, pass to a teammate or clear it by kicking or heading.
Actually the Mbappe goal should have been disallowed even under the old "interpretation" imo. The spirit of the law was obviously totally broken.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Mendy got away with a mistake yesterday..., it was a goal, essentially.

Less convinced by the Havertz offside. If the vertical line on the defender is moved a pixel or two, he'd be on. Similar to Rashford one.

Ederson mistake goal must be disallowed due to unsporting conduct? Don't see anything else wrong with it.

Anustart89

Mendy got away with a mistake yesterday..., it was a goal, essentially.

Less convinced by the Havertz offside. If the vertical line on the defender is moved a pixel or two, he'd be on. Similar to Rashford one.

Ederson mistake goal must be disallowed due to unsporting conduct? Don't see anything else wrong with it.
He's released the ball and the throw is blocked by the Palace player. There's no "the ball must be one yard from the keeper" law that states that he's too close when he's playing the ball once it's left Ederson's hands. It's not a bounce that's intercepted either so Ederson's not deemed to still be in control of the ball, and he hasn't dropped the ball for a kick which would also make him still in control of the ball.

In any case, that situation is tailor-made for VAR now that we have it. Let it play out, see if a goal is scored, then call it back and slow it down and see if Ederson's released the ball when the opponent makes contact with it. Instead the idiot referee blows his whistle as the ball is going in the net and thus VAR can't step in and look at it. Idiots.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
The issue with the Ederson play was that the referee called the foul before the Palace player scored, so VAR can't reverse that decision. Similar thing happened in the Dortmund City UCL match two seasons ago, when Bellingham won the ball off Ederson cleanly but Ederson went down and the ref called a foul before Bellingham scored in the empty net. Had the ref not called the foul, VAR would've definitely reversed that decision.

The ref was way too quick to call it then and now, VAR couldn't do anything.