VAR and Refs | General Discussion | Forest go into meltdown

CoopersDream

I'm not 100% sure, from playing over the years I've had loads of instance where the referee would say "the last touch came of your player, he's not offside". That seems to have changed in the last few years.
I'm pretty sure that blocks and such always counted as offside even before. The main difference to the rule nowadays in this regard is the deliberate play thingy which actually makes the attacker onside a lot more than they would have been previously.

I will say that this particular situation is fairly unusual though and quite difficult to spot directly and would probably have been missed by the linesman more often than not.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
By adding all that wording and different phases of play and all the active/inactive players. It also complicates the decision making procedure and puts in wording like control and distance etc. It's like handball that means referees can interpret the rules differently from game ro game.

We've already seen goals like that one allowed, disallowed and argued over. How is the referee/linesman supposed to consider all of the below in a short space of time and come up with the right call every time.

*‘Deliberate play’ (excluding deliberate handball) is when a player has control of the ball with the possibility of:
  • passing the ball to a team-mate;
  • gaining possession of the ball; or
  • clearing the ball (e.g. by kicking or heading it)
If the pass, attempt to gain possession or clearance by the player in control of the ball is inaccurate or unsuccessful, this does not negate the fact that the player ‘deliberately played’ the ball.

The following criteria should be used, as appropriate, as indicators that a player was in control of the ball and, as a result, can be considered to have ‘deliberately played’ the ball:
  • The ball travelled from distance and the player had a clear view of it
  • The ball was not moving quickly
  • The direction of the ball was not unexpected
  • The player had time to coordinate their body movement, i.e. it was not a case of instinctive stretching or jumping, or a movement that achieved limited contact/control
  • A ball moving on the ground is easier to play than a ball in the air

Sticking a foot out is deliberately playing the ball, if the last touch comes of an opposition player you're not offside, it should be as simple as that.
The rules are the same, but situations can/will be interpreted differently from game to game as we already see with red card situations, handball for penalty etc etc.

In terms of the referee/linesman, why would it matter, it's the subject of a VAR review. If the linesman flags for offside or not is irrelevant for scenarios like this where.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Ref is called to the screen in the Leipzig game and still decides to stick with his wrong decision . It’s just rubbish everywhere

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
CL refs take the biscuit for arrogant "I'm not changing my mind" cnuts. Two pathetic decisions in the Leipzig and PSG matches.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Which has nothing to do with what half of the pitch the ball it was in?
Since my suggested rule change entirely involves the automatic scrapping of the debate whether the player has control or not...intent or not when the ball comes from the opposing half, it has actually everything to do with it. You may think my proposed rule change is silly, but I am not quite sure how you can consider it has nothing to do with it.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Should have been a pen and a dogsa red

Anustart89

Should have been a pen and a dogsa red
Nah yellow, attempt to play the ball inside the box isn't red. But can't believe they didn't check at all what level of contact was made with player/ball.

Main gripe with VAR is how they pick and choose what to review in the first place. Let the teams decide a limited amount of times what to force a check on and if they don't have any remaining challenges when a Henry handball happens then tough titties.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Nah yellow, attempt to play the ball inside the box isn't red. But can't believe they didn't check at all what level of contact was made with player/ball.

Main gripe with VAR is how they pick and choose what to review in the first place. Let the teams decide a limited amount of times what to force a check on and if they don't have any remaining challenges when a Henry handball happens then tough titties.
It’s a standard red if they give a pen. It was a tap in without the foul.

Swedish_Plumber

Can’t remember the last time we got a decision in a CL big game. Seems like we get fecked every time.

Not even those as well. All the little calls seem to go against us too.

Anustart89

We need our players to stay down longer. We just get straight up and take the corner.

How the feck is the review over in an instant?
That's it. Stay down, make the physios come on which will force them to watch the incident. Not like Pellistri being off the pitch for 30 seconds would seriously hamper our ability to score the subsequent corner.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
This club is a meme. Referees love abusing us

YikesSchmeics

I cannot remember us having a worse run of bloody crap decisions.

We cannot buy a break at the moment.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Tbf it looked like the sort of thing that's supposed to be given as a handball these days.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Never a penalty, how the feck is that deliberate handball?

No consistency in how games across competitions are being refereed.

Thom Merrilin

This ref and VAR team should lose their jobs. There's been no consistency and an embarrassing double standard on display today. They've ruined the game.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Why are they showing it in slo mo ffs. In real time it was headed at him like a bullet from half a yard. feck football and VAR

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Another game, another terrible decision. Holy crap referees are the most incompetent people on the planet.

Unam333

I just want to say, that was an absolute nonsense penalty call. Eriksen tried NOT to touch the ball by putting his arm along his body.

Ralaks

Using a ref from a country where they dont even use VAR, he likely relished the idea of trying it out, they should not be allowed to ref in matches with VAR, because they have zero experience how it should be utilized, and absolutely no balls to make their own decision.

bullshit call mind you, he was like max half a meter from it

SER19

After money, officiating has been the most ruinous thing for football. Its just terrible. All round terrible.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Oh be quiet, all of you. It's a fecking penalty. What kind of idiot spreads their arms out like that in the box? You know, you fecking know, to keep your arms down. He's not sliding in, he's not stretching, he has no reason to put them out. Just keep your arms down, you absolute clown.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Why are they showing it in slo mo ffs. In real time it was headed at him like a bullet from half a yard. feck football and VAR
I’m so over VAR. give that but not the spurs one a few weeks back. What’s the fecking point?