VAR and Refs | General Discussion | Forest go into meltdown

Red4ever27

That may just be the worst VAR decision I can ever recall. Is there a clear agenda against us or am I just being biased? That was ridiculous, they really will look at anything to do us over.

Cpt Negative

Said it before - ETH doesn’t cause a fuss on decisions, so they keep fecking us over. Klopp goes mad over reds and they get rescinded

IRELANDUNITED

Wasn’t there an offside in a Liverpool v Wolves game last season when a Wolves defender headed the ball away with Salah offside behind him? The goal was given, somehow, because Salah wasn’t intervening with play? HOW THE F*CK WAS THAT NOT INTERVENING WITH PLAY BUT MAGUIRE WAS THERE?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Half the teams in the league build their wide/deep free kick routines around having players in offside positions actively block defenders off, and almost never get called for it.

But that goal's disallowed? :lol:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Surprised at the reaction on here. I actually think it was the correct call. Not clear an obvious, but correct.

Still very unlucky though. Our luck just isn't flowing is it ?
Maguire swings a leg at it but is miles away and doesnt effect anything does he?

BarcaSpurs

Seemed a pretty clear decision tbh, very unlucky but got to the objectively correct outcome.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Surprised at the reaction on here. I actually think it was the correct call. Not clear an obvious, but correct.

Are you really surprised? This is a board that thinks the refs have an agenda to keep United from winning.

It was clearly offside, but it's pointless to argue with anyone about it.

Stan Jefferson

We need to go back to basic football. Feck the technology
it’s ruining the game, wether it goes for you or not in my opinion. I find myself increasingly not bothered about watching games these days and I know I’m not the only one. If you can’t react to what’s happening because you know they’re going to go through it with a fine tooth comb every time desperate to try and disallow it then you may as well just watch the highlights on match of the day.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

Expect he doesn't touch the ball. He doesn't stop the defender from getting the ball. He's not in the way of the keeper. And the funniest part is VAR asked the ref to check the screen... like what? If it's offside, it's fecking offside, no? You're literally making rules up if you don't actually know what you're checking.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Seriously, a hairline call on a player who didn't touch the ball while the guy who was always getting the ball was onside? fecking what?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Ever since the onana none penalty and the media backlash the officials have obviously set out to feck us over because it's every week this is happening now.

Take the fine and go after VAR.

IrishMcD

I actually can’t believe the co commentator on tnt (Jenas is it) trying to justify the decision again. Like clearly we are getting feck all, all season.
I can’t believe Jenas gets hired by different channels. He’s up there with Owen Savage and McManaman for levels of absolute shite talk

arnie_ni

Maguire swings a leg at it but is miles away and doesnt effect anything does he?
Could argue the back post defender gets drawn into him rather than dropping off to garnacho. Wouldn't be convinced it's clear and obvious though.

And again, it happens every fk or corner.

Thom Merrilin

Are you really surprised? This is a board that thinks the refs have an agenda to keep United from winning.

Maguire was clearly in an offside position. It's absolutely not clear that he had any material impact on the play though.

Sgreddevil

I think the VAR has come to a ridiculous point of nitpicking on millimetres and subjectivity. It has totally distorted the original intent of the football rules. Offsides are there to prevent a disadvantage to defenders. In such situation where it is not obvious at all and need to look at millimetres of line, VAR should not have overturned the decision at all unless it is an obvious advantage given to attacker that leads to goals. I rather we scrap VAR and just let referee decide on all on field decisions.
Nowadays I feel that every time man utd scores a goal, VAR will look at every possible angle to find a fault and disallow it. I wonder if that is a conspiracy going on because we get overturned at least a goal every game. How unlucky can that be

Jev

It's so subjective, underscored by how ridiculously long it took to make the call. Which just underlines the arbitrariness and pointlessness of VAR. Refereeing football is not an exact science, it's interpretation. VAR doesn't correct calls, it just changes them, usually with a mindset of: Can we find some excuse to rule out this goal?

How anyone can think that improves the game is beyond me.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
4 minutes to find something to try and disallow the goal. Still go back to that City goal when Akanji (?) moves his foot towards the ball and it gets given.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

So clear that VAR couldn’t actually decide and had to send the ref to the monitor.

Obvious WUM is obvious.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Our next goal could be the Beckham halfway line lob and I wouldn't celebrate in fear of var

I'm quite sure If you actively attempt to play the ball you're offside even when not touching it. We had a goal disallowed for it a few weeks back and I was equally mad, but it was the right call in the end as far as I know.
It's the consistency.

T_Model101

So let's get this right, the onfield decision is onside?
And Maguire flicking a leg out, thus impeding the defender and being a mm off was a clear and obvious error that was missed?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Maguire had literally ZERO impact on that passage of play. Can someone explain to me how if VAR could not decide - it was still a clear and obvious mistake so they needed to have the on-field referee review it again?

It’s hard not to believe there is not something more sinister at play this season, it stinks to high heaven.
The referee always gets sent to the monitor for those sort of subjective offsides. That's just the way their protocol works.

gregwar

A "subjective offside" ffs.

They're just making it up as they go along :lol:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It's the consistency.
Yeah, the inconsistency is obviously infuriating, but this decision in isolation was probably correct.

Our striker was torpedo'd in the oppo's box last week and the var did nothing :wenger:

Hughes35

It's so subjective, underscored by how ridiculously long it took to make the call. Which just underlines the arbitrariness and pointlessness of VAR. Refereeing football is not an exact science, it's interpretation. VAR doesn't correct calls, it just changes them, usually with a mindset of: Can we find some excuse to rule out this goal?

How anyone can think that improves the game is beyond me.
Oh agree 100%. I hate VAR with a passion. That's a different conversation though.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Maguire was clearly in an offside position. It's absolutely not clear that he had any material impact on the play though.
He literally made physical contact with the only defender who could stop Garnacho from receiving that cross. If the plays were reversed you would be livid.

eire-red

I'm quite sure If you actively attempt to play the ball you're offside even when not touching it. We had a goal disallowed for it a few weeks back and I was equally mad, but it was the right call in the end as far as I know.
It's onside if your name is Akanji though.

The absolute state of officiating in this league.

Hughes35

Expect he doesn't touch the ball. He doesn't stop the defender from getting the ball. He's not in the way of the keeper. And the funniest part is VAR asked the ref to check the screen... like what? If it's offside, it's fecking offside, no? You're literally making rules up if you don't actually know what you're checking.
You don't need to touch the ball to impact play. He's dragging other players out of positions they would otherwise occupy.

Hammondo

Seen it now, it's definitely offside. You can hate the new rules, but there is no point hating the decision.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Wasn’t there an offside in a Liverpool v Wolves game last season when a Wolves defender headed the ball away with Salah offside behind him? The goal was given, somehow, because Salah wasn’t intervening with play? HOW THE F*CK WAS THAT NOT INTERVENING WITH PLAY BUT MAGUIRE WAS THERE?
Exactly the one that came to mind
Puts the defender in a silly position of risking leaving it, to get the offside, or clear it then see matey able to score.