VAR and Refs | General Discussion | Forest go into meltdown

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
But nobody needed that confirmation. We all knew the Rodri penalty was soft. A correct decision in a similar situation shouldn’t be a cause for surprise or outrage. Again, it’s just a daft way to make that point. England fans don’t go around posting a screenshot of the Lampard non-goal vs Germany every time a goal is awarded.
Apparently not. As I said, in the article you referenced where Liverpool came out as the team most fecked over that City penalty wasn’t considered an unfair or incorrect call.

Bertie Wooster

Apparently not. As I said, in the article you referenced where Liverpool came out as the team most fecked over that City penalty wasn’t considered an unfair or incorrect call.
Yep, this is the point.

Absolutely nothing wrong with some United fans making those points as, otherwise, who the hell is going to do it? The manager / club don't. The media only highlight decisions that go in our favour, and are noticeably silent / dismissive when we've been screwed. Now there's an article / study claiming those terrible decisions that went against us were actually correct.

As I said, nothing wrong with some United fans actually putting the other side out there for once and fighting the myth that we get far more decisions in our favour.

cyberman

Wasn’t there a stat recently showing that we are one of the teams who have benefitted the most from VAR decisions this season?

My gut instinct from watching us this season is also that we’ve been a little hard done by, but let’s face it, none of us are objective, and every single fan of every single club feels that way.

EDIT: Sorry, misremembered that one, apparently it showed Liverpool have been most hard done by.
I’d understand if there was uproar or some acknowledgment of always being on the wrong side of decisions that are rarely given but are consistently given against us, but there’s not? It’s constantly being justified and you can’t really blame people for pointing it out. Casemiro would have been booked / red is a meme but it’s 100 percent true.
It’s just frustration but it’s a constant theme throughout the season.Football is a lot more comfortable than it should be with hanging Utd out to dry as examples of how the rules can be applied in their strictest sense.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
That ESPN article was utterly preposterous. They said we were net positive in VAR decisions. Zero decisions incorrect against us and two in our favour which were incorrect.

One was the Onana one which we then saw two of the same incidents the following match day, neither of which were mentioned in those stats. The second was the Havertz dive which Taylor gave and VAR overruled. The commentators were in agreement it was a dive, Mike fecking Dean said it was a dive, Dermot fecking Gallagher said it was a dive but apparently that was objectively a bad decision and was included in those stats as a VAR mistake.

No mention of Højlund getting hauled to the floor by Gabriel with zero challenge for the ball. No mention of Garnacho having two hands around his waist pull him back and literally pick him up with zero challenge for the ball. No mention of Højlund’s disallowed goal where there was no clear view of the ball actually out of play but VAR guessed and ruled it out setting a precedent which was completely ignored the next time it happened and they decided that actually when you don’t have a conclusive angle you cannot rule the goal out. Twice.

acnumber9

Liverpool have had the least penalties awarded against them in the league and are second for most received. They must be a remarkable team for that to be true and still be the most fecked over team.

Dansk

The point seems to be that because a soft penalty was once given against United, we should continue to give soft penalties for eternity because balance. It’s just a daft way of making your point.
If it was once, you might have had a point. If there was anything remotely resembling a general balance between soft and harsh decisions across teams, it would be rational to chalk it up to innocuous inconsistency from the referees. But there is no such balance. It's a very consistent and undeniable trend that some teams are treated as harshly as the rules can possibly allow for (and sometimes harsher still), and other teams are afforded every conceivable leniency, with a number of objectively incorrect decisions in their favour that vastly outweighs any realistic chance of happenstance. It's very much valid to point this out, because it has been going on for far longer than mere coincidence can possibly account for.

As bad as refereeing is in the PL, it's every bit as bad that there are fans and pundits who seek to look smarter than the rest by claiming that the things we can all see, every single week, do not in fact take place. It is beyond any possible dispute that certain teams are routinely given a helping hand by the refs, and others are routinely swindled. If it was supposed to be "swings and roundabouts," we're approaching lottery-winning odds, and it's just not rational to believe it. It's abundantly clear that the referees in England make decisions based on which teams are affected. It's undeniable. To say otherwise is frankly a declaration of idiocy and delusion. It has been so consistent for so long that nobody can deny it and expect to be taken seriously.

Last edited:
Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Wasn’t there a stat recently showing that we are one of the teams who have benefitted the most from VAR decisions this season?

My gut instinct from watching us this season is also that we’ve been a little hard done by, but let’s face it, none of us are objective, and every single fan of every single club feels that way.

EDIT: Sorry, misremembered that one, apparently it showed Liverpool have been most hard done by.
The ESPN article about VAR errors this season?

The one when they said there were only 20 errors this season by VAR?

And Liverpool were hard done by because 4 of those 20 were in their games?

A mate in work and my cousin are Liverpool fans. Even they laughed when they read that ESPN article.

Jev

If it was once, you might have had a point. If there was anything remotely resembling a general balance between soft and harsh decisions across teams, it would be rational to chalk it up to innocuous inconsistency from the referees. But there is no such balance. It's a very consistent and undeniable trend that some teams are treated as harshly as the rules can possibly allow for (and sometimes harsher still), and other teams are afforded every conceivable leniency, with a number of objectively incorrect decisions in their favour that vastly outweighs any realistic chance of happenstance. It's very much valid to point this out, because it has been going on for far longer than mere coincidence can possibly account for.

As bad as refereeing is in the PL, it's every bit as bad that there are fans and pundits who seek to look smarter than the rest by claiming that the things we can all see, every single week, do not in fact take place. It is beyond any possible dispute that certain teams are routinely given a helping hand by the refs, and others are routinely swindled. If it was supposed to be "swings and roundabouts," we're approaching lottery-winning odds, and it's just not rational to believe it. It's abundantly clear that the referees in England make decisions based on which teams are affected. It's undeniable. To say otherwise is frankly a declaration of idiocy and delusion. It has been so consistent for so long that nobody can deny it and expect to be taken seriously.
You were the one who actually believed there is a genuine conspiracy for Liverpool to win the league, right? And you’re accusing me of idiocy and delusion?

Last edited:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Newcastle got a VAR pen for shirt pulling yesterday. It's almost never enforced, why has that one been sent to VAR and not dozens of others? Even if It's right by the letter of the law..

Josep Dowling

Because a bad decision was made. The fact that the referee then makes the correct call in a similar situation in another game doesn’t make the call against United better or worse.
I think the tweet is proving how bad of a decision that Hojlund foul given as a penalty was. It was Michael Oliver in VAR that made the decision as well. A truly awful decision but still not as bad the Garnacho offside against Arsenal which cost us the game.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I think the tweet is proving how bad of a decision that Hojlund foul given as a penalty was. It was Michael Oliver in VAR that made the decision as well. A truly awful decision but still not as bad the Garnacho offside against Arsenal which cost us the game.
And again not as bad as the Gabriel foul on Højlund.

Oranges038

Watching the highlights.

Robertson jumps into the back of Toney and somehow Liverpool get a free kick out of it. It's 3-0 at the time, but it's ridiculous that it's not a penalty.

90 + 5min

Don’t forget the handball not ruled against Tottenham. The same game where they easily could have had a red for a tackle on Bruno that wasn’t even looked at by VAR.
Problem is that our club is silent. There haven't been any reaction when it comes to games when we got decisions against us. It is just like apathy party. Nothing said from manager. From players. From owners. Just silence.

Liverpool get one decision against them and whole club is behind and talking about integrity and all that. Pushing that into media so it is talked about. I wish we could be a club to do exactly that. Show others how we are being treated. Difference is we are right. We could have at least 10-12 more points right now.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Problem is that our club is silent. There haven't been any reaction when it comes to games when we got decisions against us. It is just like apathy party. Nothing said from manager. From players. From owners. Just silence.

Liverpool get one decision against them and whole club is behind and talking about integrity and all that. Pushing that into media so it is talked about. I wish we could be a club to do exactly that. Show others how we are being treated. Difference is we are right. We could have at least 10-12 more points right now.
I think the problem is that from the Glazers down through Arnold there just wasn’t anyone arsed about that sort of thing and if you’re going to start calling the PGMOL and EPL out you kinda have to have their backing.

In contrary I hope the likes of Ratcliffe, Berrada, Brailsford and co will be as incensed as we are and demand answers.

Fitchett

Once again, you are absolutely spot on. I am a season ticket holder in East stand, have been supporting United for 61 years, and worked as a Performance and Data analyst, dealing with statistics, probabilities etc. Both my eyes and my statistical knowledge tell me that everything you state is how I see the level of corruption in English football.

90 + 5min

I think the problem is that from the Glazers down through Arnold there just wasn’t anyone arsed about that sort of thing and if you’re going to start calling the PGMOL and EPL out you kinda have to have their backing.

In contrary I hope the likes of Ratcliffe, Berrada, Brailsford and co will be as incensed as we are and demand answers.
Players and managers don't need someone to hold their hand if they want to say something that is actually good for the club. There have been so many opportunities where tenHag and players should have raised their voices. It is okey to collect wages, but not stand for what would be correct. When it comes to our club, they feel so indifferent that I actually start to think it wouldn't matter for them to be in Premier League or Championship. So I hope that changes we have done is going to mean different mentality towards this issue.

arnie_ni

The ESPN article about VAR errors this season?

The one when they said there were only 20 errors this season by VAR?

And Liverpool were hard done by because 4 of those 20 were in their games?

A mate in work and my cousin are Liverpool fans. Even they laughed when they read that ESPN article.
There's 20 errors a gameweek

lex talionis

But it was a deliberate action by the defender. Yes, the ball came to him and yes, he did not intend to play it back, but he made it deliberate attempt to play the ball. That he misplayed the ball to the Sheffield United player is irrelevant.

Maclooch

I loathe VAR, but credit must be given for the Holgate red card; that is one of the times VAR should step in.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Should have been a second yellow. Not sure why VAR can't intervene for that. It's daft.

BarcaSpurs

Is it me or do referees themselves literally never give straight red cards anymore unless Var intervenes? That Holgate was one so ridiculously obvious.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Should have been a second yellow. Not sure why VAR can't intervene for that. It's daft.
But the first wasn't a yellow. Only given because Morris asked for a yellow before, which should be a yellow for him. He's gone and asked for yellows twice since as well.

So where do we start giving yellows through VAR?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Referee probably thought he was doing Luton a favour by leaving Casemiro on.

90 + 5min

We know that discussion have already started about Casemiro. Club needs to stop this with some statement.

SER19

this is one of the worst officiated games ive ever seen. Nobody could watch this and believe the rules are the same for both teams. Hojlind has once again been absolutely ripped to the ground without even getting a free, meanwhile every time Morris fancies a lie down he gets a free kick. Weve substitied a third of our team to avoid the blatant bias that means we get yellows when they dont.

This type of officiating decides games far more than penalties/red card/wrong decisions for goals and is as close to feeling like playing against 12 as it can be. Luton players feel and demonstrated it in their energy and conduct, the crowd feed on it too. Just an awful, weak, cowards performance

90 + 5min

We always have stupid, wierd and strange decisions against us. I have no idea how and why.