VAR - Not the hero we want, the one we need

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
VAR in it's current form is a disgrace! If it stays like this, football can do one.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
For all the emotions critics (that it gets out of the game), I don't remember being more emotioned since Terry the cnut lost the pen in Moscow. While Skomina was reviewing the incident, my heart just went bumping faster than if I had been running full speed. And then I was screaming when Rashford pulled the ball in the net.
Anyone who says VAR robs the game of emotion is insane. If anything it piles on the drama. I was absolutely bricking it. :lol:

Revan

Assumptionman
Anyone who says VAR robs the game of emotion is insane. If anything it piles on the drama. I was absolutely bricking it. :lol:
Yep, I got so fatigued and almost having a heart attack than I don't even remember how Rash took the penalty. I guess he shot hard or so cause Buffon dived in the same direction (I think).

Schneckerl

Yes- it’s so exciting waiting around minutes on end watching a replay a thousand times to see if they’ll disallow a great goal. Fun times & not a momentum killer at all
I don't know about you, but waiting for the VAR decision today really gave me the chills.

Minimalist

I don't think anyone expected it to be given but the fact is, very few of the footballing world seems to understand what a proper handball call in the box is (and the various scenarios).

It's the consistency that kills people.

BUT FCUK IT! FCUK OFF PSG! Couldn't happen to a more perfect team. Wankers.

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
VAR will hurt us in the future, but feck me I'm so in love with it. Without it the absolute most of people probably wouldn't even have mentioned it after we had dropped out, but that peno was legit as hell.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Thread title change :lol::lol:
I absolutely hate PSG but i can't help to feel bad for them, this is unbelievably wrong...

Revan

Assumptionman
Couldn't have happened to a nicer team :)
Funny thing is that it happens to them always. It is like they find an innovative way of going out every year.

Next year they will be even less confident.

Revan

Assumptionman
Thread title change :lol::lol:
I absolutely hate PSG but i can't help to feel bad for them, this is unbelievably wrong...
It was pen same as it was the one vs Croatia. Soft, but both were pens.

Problem is that handballs are a very gray area and most of people have their own interpretations for them. Referees have directives though what to count as a pen and what to not count.

RG 11

Have always been in favor of it. Glad to see us not getting shafted by officials for once in Europe thanks to VAR :D

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
VAR will hurt us in the future, but feck me I'm so in love with it. Without it the absolute most of people probably wouldn't even have mentioned it after we had dropped out, but that peno was legit as hell.
It already nearly hurt us in the past with that Mata offside. But that's fine as it was the correct decision, so fair enough really.

Good point regarding the handball. As per the rules a good decision but not an incident we'd have neccessarily picked up without VAR. Perfecto.

Revan

Assumptionman
And Cakir gives it. Again, it was penalty. Florenzi is an idiot, he did a Smalling (but Smalling is smart cause he doesn't do it with VAR)

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
It was pen same as it was the one vs Croatia. Soft, but both were pens.

Problem is that handballs are a very gray area and most of people have their own interpretations for them. Referees have directives though what to count as a pen and what to not count.
You know what, i'm starting to agree, Kimpembe is not playing like a defender on this. Last seconds of a season defining game, you're a CB just take the ball straight in the face, lose 5 teeths but don't turn around flaying your arm in the penalty box...
It is very harsh but yeah technically not wrong. More games for United in the race for Top 4 : yay !

Pagh Wraith

Roma properly fecked by VAR. We will just have to accept that as long as humans are involved there will always be mistakes.

montpelier

I didn't think it was a penalty for us, mind,

Unless your interpretation favours the attackers a lot & then you see it on the VAR in slo-mo.

''What do you want him to do with his arm?'' - after he's had the ball (which isn't going anywhere good) wellied at him, basically.

Josep Dowling

One of them when it goes for you great but it’s absolutely gutting if it goes against you.

el3mel

Best thing to ever happen for football !!

Well till they get a wrong decision against us. :D :D

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
VAR did its job. By the letter of the law its a pen. What has VAR got to do with it?
Exactly. People can certainly criticise the law itself which is very harsh but VAR did exactly what VAR is supposed to do.

Rafaeldagold

Have to admit I didn’t even realise anything was up for review & it’s pretty hash in all honesty..

But couldn’t happen to a nicer oil money club

montpelier

VAR did its job. By the letter of the law its a pen. What has VAR got to do with it?
By the letter of the law its a pen. - can be, if you want to believe every contact between ball & hand is a penalty.

VAR in slo-mo several times is obviously different from one view in real time. Though having typed that, I'm not sure this one is altered much, tbf.

It just looks horrific for me, the ball hits him & he's got his back turned.

Or everything is a penalty & there's no argument. I don't like that idea, though.

Le Red

Pro-VAR: people who like matches to be decided by the players.
Anti-VAR: people who don't mind to see matches decided by the referee.

It's simple like that.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
By the letter of the law its a pen. - can be, if you want to believe every contact between ball & hand is a penalty.

VAR in slo-mo several times is obviously different from one view in real time. Though having typed that, I'm not sure this one is altered much, tbf.

Or everything is a penalty & there's no argument. I don't like that idea, though.
Not a comment on VAR, but one of my pet hates in football is watching defenders put both arms behind their backs. Totally unnatural movement, it looks awful and just goes against everything you naturally try and do when you play football. However the handball law is worded in my opinion it should only be handball if the defender is intentionally moving a hand/arm to the ball or making themselves bigger with a movement other than those normally used to run or balance.

mancan92

Refs have been told that any player that makes themselves bigger with the use of their hands and makes contact with the ball then give the penalty.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Absolutely the correct decision as well. If you can't jump without putting your arm out then don't do it. Ball was on target otherwise. It's hit your arm that you've chosen to put there because it helps you get your body in a certain position. It's your own fault.

Lindelof runs around with his arms behind his back. Up to the defender to lower their risk by doing that or not performing moves that require the arms to be out.

Would be hugely unfair for it to be any other way, because every defender could do the funky chicken and elbow it out the stadium.

Revan

Assumptionman
Roma properly fecked by VAR. We will just have to accept that as long as humans are involved there will always be mistakes.
Florenzi pulled the shirt of Porto's striker. Porto's striker probably wouldn't have caught the ball (same as how Dalot's shot might have gone out) but you never know. Clear penalty, Florenzi has only himself to blame.

Tingen

Florenzi pulled the shirt of Porto's striker. Porto's striker probably wouldn't have caught the ball (same as how Dalot's shot might have gone out) but you never know. Clear penalty, Florenzi has only himself to blame.
I think he is referring to the pen not giving to Roma 2 mins later which was also very clear IMO. The defender trips the attacker from behind in a very clumsy challengde

Revan

Assumptionman
I think he is referring to the pen not giving to Roma 2 mins later which was also very clear IMO. The defender trips the attacker from behind in a very clumsy challengde
Absolute dive IMO. Porto's defender did nothing there.