VAR - Not the hero we want, the one we need

brian017

I'm fairly certain it'll be in next season. All the other major European leagues have it, and even UEFA are embracing it. The PL are the last big holdouts.

Irrational.

We cannot rely on the incompetent refs and linesmen to make judgement calls which can cost teams tens of millions of pounds. They're fecking pathetically, laughably bad. Even the Fulham goal, there was no way the linesman could see whether Mitrovic was offside as Schurrle was blocking his view, yet he flagged offside. Wanker. Even the Liverpool goal should've been pulled back as the ball wasn't stopped and played whilst rolling.

PoTMS

VAR would have seen Ramos sent off and Sterling's 'penalty' chalked off in the Champions League this week as well. Those two blunders were what VAR was brought in to solve.

In the Champions League we have to wait until the quarter final stage for clearly incorrect decisions to be corrected.
Don't think it's being introduced in the UCL until next season.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
VAR wouldn't overrule the decision. The image is 50/50, VAR only overrules crystal clear things.
It wasn't 50/50 though, he was on side.

It's like Mata's goal they disallowed when he had a toe or half a foot offside, whatever happened to that rule?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
VAR is working great in La liga, in Atletico game yday Godin winner flagged offside, despite him being 1 meter on. Easily corrected.

Premier League has the worst referees of any big league but doesn't have it... Dinosaurs

I'm watching less premier league games these days as it's soo frustrating with how poor so many decisions are.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Offsides never are 50/50. They have a line so it's offside or not. But they were right one this one.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
VAR wouldn't overrule the decision. The image is 50/50, VAR only overrules crystal clear things.
As per the WC system at least, VAR works on the basis that every offside is a black and white decision. The player is either offside or they're not. If VAR didn't overrule it it would be because he wasn't offside, not because it isn't clear one way or the other.

Looking at it he may have been offside after all, though even in that case VAR would still have helped by making it clear to everyone that this was the case. Liverpool still took the freeckick while ball was rolling, mind.

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
Mate I was at the first match in the ENIRE WORLD where the first VAR decision was used, Red Bulls 2, I know how it works.

I also know they would have looked at this incident which at least would have negated LFCs cheap counter. That 15 seconds changed the entire complexion of the match, all myself and everyone in this thread is saying we want the correct decision, if it benifits my club is irrelevant.

the_irish123

Mate I was at the first match in the ENIRE WORLD where the first VAR decision was used, Red Bulls 2, I know how it works.

I also know they would have looked at this incident which at least would have negated LFCs cheap counter. That 15 seconds changed the entire complexion of the match, all myself and everyone in this thread is saying we want the correct decision, if it benifits my club is irrelevant.
So you are saying VAR is good because it would kill their counter attack? That's one of the most problematic aspects of VAR.

Maticmaker

In my opinion, VAR won't solve all disputes/problems/incorrect decisions on the pitch, but it should improve the stats in terms of the % getting the right answer. Until everyone accepts this the system itself will still be controversial.

The application rules as to when and where VAR is used need to be tightened up and in particular how the ref's is attention drawn to a possible wrong decision. If anyone thinks players are not going to appeal to the ref to 'go to VAR' simply because they are told not to, then they are fooling themselves; refs need to be able to card players who are continually appealing, e.g. just like now when they start waving an imaginary card.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It'll speed up. Imagine how big a deal would be made if it went to VAR and they got it wrong. They're just being careful at the mo.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Took too long and I still wasn’t convinced they’d give a pen. Was shocked when they did to be honest.

On another day that wouldn’t be given. Just shows the subjective nature of these var calls to me

NinjaFletch

Took too long and I still wasn’t convinced they’d give a pen. Was shocked when they did to be honest.

On another day that wouldn’t be given. Just shows the subjective nature of these var calls to me
Seems odd to create a hypothetical situation where they get it wrong in order to whinge about one they got right, but ok.

Pace Abuser

Why didn't the ref look at it himself?
Because the ref had already decided it was a penalty. He double checked the offside and decided to call it back to the penalty decision or play play-on.

Once offside had been established he awarded the penalty.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think VAR is obviously a good move and it's beyond debate. The next debate will be whether they should show the incident replays on the stadium screen or not while the crowd waits.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Seems odd to create a hypothetical situation where they get it wrong in order to whinge about one they got right, but ok.
Slightly hypothetical ok, as @VeevaVee said, they took so long because they were making sure, which kind of implies it wasn’t really a clear cut decision, so I’m another day could go a different way.

Side note, I don’t know why people need to reply with passive aggressiveness to make a point, was there really need for your ‘but ok’ at the end?

SirAF

Ageist
It’s fine but they should just stop the clock - US sports style.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Takes far too long, and with a stadium like ours that has no big screens for the crowd to see what is happening, it is c*ap
I cant believe there are still people like you complaining about it. It will speed up, obviously, but the important thing is the decision was right.

El Zoido

Takes far too long, and with a stadium like ours that has no big screens for the crowd to see what is happening, it is c*ap
No VAR, no goal. We must prioritise the correct decision and not slightly irritating the fans in the stadium for 2 minutes.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Slightly hypothetical ok, as @VeevaVee said, they took so long because they were making sure, which kind of implies it wasn’t really a clear cut decision, so I’m another day could go a different way.

Side note, I don’t know why people need to reply with passive aggressiveness to make a point, was there really need for your ‘but ok’ at the end?
I reckon it was pretty obvious, possibly not from the ref's position though. I don't think taking their time implies it wasn't obvious, just that they wanted to make sure. If someone comes out next week and shows clips where Mata didn't even get touched VAR is under fire.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
No issue that it takes time if the correct decision is made
I get many people think that, if not most, but there is for me I'm afraid. Would much prefer to let the ref decide, and if he doesn't see something he doesn't see it, get on with the game. I can't see the clock being turned back now though, so you've nothing to worry about.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
VAR is great. Our implementation of it still needs some work, clearly. Over 2 minutes for that decision to be made is a bit unreasonable on my opinion, it's not like it was a particularly complex decision.

acnumber9

I don’t get this argument the decisions will be quicker when they’re more used to using it. Will time make the need to get it right any less important?