VAR - Not the hero we want, the one we need

red4ever 79

Yeah they may do eventually. I think they want to protect refs over the decision making process is all.
I would be supportive of big screens so the fans can also see the replays whilst the wait, other wise it makes them restless when something takes an age. Also I want to see the officials impose a rule that forbids players from surrounding them whilst they wait for instructions/reviewing the incident.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
No VAR, no goal. We must prioritise the correct decision and not slightly irritating the fans in the stadium for 2 minutes.
It's not just about that. It's cold out, and standing around for about 3 minutes in it won't do anybody any good.

Shaguar2k

Waiting for a VAR decision is so much more exciting than a lot of other minutes in a typical football match... and with a correct decision. All great

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I reckon it was pretty obvious, possibly not from the ref's position though. I don't think taking their time implies it wasn't obvious, just that they wanted to make sure. If someone comes out next week and shows clips where Mata didn't even get touched VAR is under fire.
Yea I agree with all that really and can see why they’d want to see different angles to make sure.
Will that ever change though? They will always have to make sure so I can’t see the time it takes to get a decision reducing, especially as this was a supposed clear cut call.

NinjaFletch

I would be supportive of big screens so the fans can also see the replays whilst the wait, other wise it makes them restless when something takes an age. Also I want to see the officials impose a rule that forbids players from surrounding them whilst they wait for instructions/reviewing the incident.
I think that's why the pitch side monitor is a good idea. Gives the ref a chance to get away from the players and make a decision without having people shouting at him.

At least half of this two minutes seemed to be spent with him telling people to shut up.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I get many people think that, if not most, but there is for me I'm afraid. Would much prefer to let the ref decide, and if he doesn't see something he doesn't see it, get on with the game. I can't see the clock being turned back now though, so you've nothing to worry about.
When a truly terrible decision will be given against us, you'll change your tune no doubt. Like a goal for the CL run-in that is clearly offside.

Sigma

I don’t get this argument the decisions will be quicker when they’re more used to using it. Will time make the need to get it right any less important?
How long did it take you to say the 3 times table the first time you did it? I'm sure you could say it much faster the 10th time.

red4ever 79

I think that's why the pitch side monitor is a good idea. Gives the ref a chance to get away from the players and make a decision without having people shouting at him.

At least half of this two minutes seemed to be spent with him telling people to shut up.
Cant stand seeing Ashley Young following officials around trying to intimidate them. They dont do it in Rugby so why the F*ck should they be allowed to do it here.

acnumber9

How long did it take you to say the 3 times table the first time you did it? I'm sure you could say it much faster the 10th time.
What a ridiculous question. It’s not the first time a group of referees have watched a football match on a TV.

Sigma

What a ridiculous question. It’s not the first time a group of referees have watched a football match on a TV.
The more times you do something in the same environment, the more efficient you get at it.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
The more times you do something in the same environment, the more efficient you get at it.
Are they going to watch the replays on speed x2? The time it takes to watch a replay is the the time it takes. That can’t be changed. They can remove the amount of times it’s viewed or the amount of angles seen. Will that make the decision less accurate? Possibly

acnumber9

They’re watching a football match on a TV screen making decisions they’ve made thousands of times. Is it a foul or not? Your analogy might fit if they were a child, who hadn’t watched a football match before and didn’t know the rules.

Sigma

Are they going to watch the replays on speed x2? The time it takes to watch a replay is the the time it takes. That can’t be changed. They can remove the amount of times it’s viewed or the amount of angles seen. Will that make the decision less accurate? Possibly
They’re watching a football match on a TV screen making decisions they’ve made thousands of times. Is it a foul or not? Your analogy might fit if they were a child, who hadn’t watched a football match before and didn’t know the rules.
The communication between the referees will become quicker and more streamlined. The referees will have more confidence in their use of the system as they use it more, meaning they may not have to view it many times etc.

We've already seen countless examples at the World Cup of referees attaining the correct decision in a timely manner because they are experienced with it.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t get this argument the decisions will be quicker when they’re more used to using it. Will time make the need to get it right any less important?
They're scared of making mistakes at the moment. Once everyone is comfortable with it they'll be able to make decisions a bit quicker. No referee wants to be the one who can't even get a decision correct from a TV replay! Especially for offsides which are more black and white.

I think VAR is obviously a good move and it's beyond debate. The next debate will be whether they should show the incident replays on the stadium screen or not while the crowd waits.
Can't do that at Old Trafford or Anfield - there are no screens!!!

It works in Rugby and Cricket - but unfortunately there are too many idiots who still go to football.

acnumber9

They're scared of making mistakes at the moment. Once everyone is comfortable with it they'll be able to make decisions a bit quicker. No referee wants to be the one who can't even get a decision correct from a TV replay! Especially for offsides which are more black and white.
Why will that change though? Do you think in two years if they rush a decision and get it wrong they won’t be criticised?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
The communication between the referees will become quicker and more streamlined. The referees will have more confidence in their use of the system as they use it more, meaning they may not have to view it many times etc.

We've already seen countless examples at the World Cup of referees attaining the correct decision in a timely manner because they are experienced with it.
I don’t want to seem argumentative but what is this system people talk about? It’s just a 2 way headset. Replays get watched, they say over headset to ref what they think.
It’s hardly a system to be streamlined in my view

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think VAR is obviously a good move and it's beyond debate. The next debate will be whether they should show the incident replays on the stadium screen or not while the crowd waits.
Agree, the debate as to whether or not to introduce VAR has effectively been won at this point. Now they have to figure out the best version of VAR and to my mind that will need to involve giving the fans more information about the decisions made. Replays on the screen are a quick and easy way to take a step in that direction.

Plus if we accept the idea that waiting for a decsion can be tense and exciting (as a couple of posters have mentioned above) then I would have thought replays on screen would help create that feeling among the crowd too.

acnumber9

How will communication become quicker and more streamlined? They’re talking to them through a mic. What communication method is quicker?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
This makes me nervous too, so they’ll just care less about mistakes and amount of times incident is reviewed in the future because the system is already implemented now and mistakes happen, they won’t be the first to do so

How will communication become quicker and more streamlined? They’re talking to them through a mic. What communication method is quicker?
Megaphone.
Watch video on fast forward.
Not care about making a bad call as much because it’s not a new system so less views are needed.

Obvious ways to improve the speed of var calls

I don’t want to seem argumentative but what is this system people talk about? It’s just a 2 way headset. Replays get watched, they say over headset to ref what they think.
It’s hardly a system to be streamlined in my view
It's not good from a spectators perspective. It does need to be quicker. When watching from home, we could do with either more replays, we got one in 2/3 mins - or (and I understand why it doesn't happen now, whilst still learning) we should have a direct feed to see what the VAR team are reviewing.

NinjaFletch

Agree, the debate as to whether or not to introduce VAR has effectively been won at this point. Now they have to figure out the best version of VAR and to my mind that will need to involve giving the fans more information about the decisions made. Replays on the screen are a quick and easy way to take a step in that direction.
Cricket has the conversation between the third umpire and the umpire miced up and played to the stadium. I dunno if that would work in football, authorities are always hesitant to give information in case it causes a riot, but it would be an improvement for me.

red4ever 79

I was thinking telepathy. Maybe they’ll start using shorthand.
Haha. I think we are all agreed it needs speeding up whatever way they do it, and they clearly need to do something inside the stadiums. You cant have fans sat their scratching their ar*ses wondering whats going on for a few mins whilst officials play walkie talkie with each other. Get a big screen in all stadiums and show the replays

ROFLUTION

Watching it again you could argue Lukaku is offside in the first pass (clearly is) and that he then influences the path of the tackling defender, who has to run out of Lukakus path and therefore then comes Late Into tackling Mata.

Not sure id reverse it though. Just mentioning it to show that VAR is still a system where a lot of subjectivity and 50/50 decisions still will be present.

Kostur

海尔的老板
People getting angry with the obvious learning curve of using VAR are hilarious.

Back to your bloody caves. And yes, the whole process of using it gets quicker with time, I've seen it over the course of two seasons in the Polish league. Unless English refs are some kind of brainlets who cannot learn anything then yes, it will get quicker.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It's not good from a spectators perspective. It does need to be quicker. When watching from home, we could do with either more replays, we got one in 2/3 mins - or (and I understand why it doesn't happen now, whilst still learning) we should have a direct feed to see what the VAR team are reviewing.
Yea, basically we need something to keep us interested, at home it’s not as bad, we have at least one replay and a little idea of what’s going on.
At the stadium it’s bad, people have no idea what’s going on.

And all this to judge subjective calls, I know a lot of calls are clear cut but there’s many that are not.

I think serious dangerous play such as elbows, head butts, clear ball to hand hand balls VAR could be used for. The issue of where the line is for serious dangerous is still there and subjective though.
I disagree with introducing it for offsides(without the correct technology, freeze framed skewiff camera angles can’t count) and for 50/50 fouls.

I can see why people would like VAR but I can’t warm to it.

acnumber9

People getting angry with the obvious learning curve of using VAR are hilarious.

Back to your bloody caves.
What learning curve? Maybe it’s them living in caves if they haven’t watched a replay in a football match before.

red4ever 79

Back to your bloody caves. And yes, the whole process of using it gets quicker with time, I've seen it over the course of two seasons in the Polish league. Unless English refs are some kind of brainlets who cannot learn anything then yes, it will get quicker.
Do they show replays inside the stadiums for the fans in Poland?

cyberman

What learning curve? Maybe it’s them living in caves if they haven’t watched a replay in a football match before.
They're taking too long discussing it with each other. They don't have to go into detail over every little thing.
The ref seems to be explaining every freekick he gives today.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Do they show replays inside the stadiums for the fans in Poland?
No, obviously not.

Or maybe you're clueless. VAR is hardly ever a process of just one passage of play, they're usually forced to check previous passages of play, just like the one with our goal. You've had a foul on Mata, Fred being offside and also I presume them checking whether Lukaku was absorbing the goalkeeper/defender's attention in the play and then it's the ref who decides whether he did or not. You've got three different decisions to make here, hence the time. Rewinding those passages takes time and getting used to, probably the ref who's doing the VAR review needs time to adapt to the technology it takes (remember the blunder with broadcasting which put some hilariously shit lines in our game earlier this season or the last season?).

NinjaFletch

Watching it again you could argue Lukaku is offside in the first pass (clearly is) and that he then influences the path of the tackling defender, who has to run out of Lukakus path and therefore then comes Late Into tackling Mata.

Not sure id reverse it though. Just mentioning it to show that VAR is still a system where a lot of subjectivity and 50/50 decisions still will be present.
He isn't as the laws currently stand. You have to be actively challenging for the ball and impeding the player's ability to play it.

Although Lukaku gets close to the opposition player he is standing still and isn't in his path. You'd be very unlucky to be given offside for that on video replay.

acnumber9

No, obviously not.

Or maybe you're clueless. VAR is hardly ever a process of just one passage of play, they're usually forced to check previous passages of play, just like the one with our goal. You've had a foul on Mata, Fred being offside and also I presume them checking whether Lukaku was absorbing the goalkeeper/defender's attention in the play and then it's the ref who decides whether he did or not. You've got three different decisions to make here, hence the time. Rewinding those passages takes time and getting used to, probably the ref who's doing the VAR review needs time to adapt to the technology it takes (remember the blunder with broadcasting which put some hilariously shit lines in our game earlier this season or the last season?).
Yeah I’m clueless because it took the ref’s two minutes to see what could be seen live. If two minutes is a reasonable and required amount of time then why the need to insist it will get quicker?

ROFLUTION

He isn't as the laws currently stand. You have to be actively challenging for the ball and impeding the player's ability to play it.

Although Lukaku gets close to the opposition player he is standing still and isn't in his path. You'd be very unlucky to be given offside for that on video replay.
Only seen it once on replay, but not sure he's standing still and is not in his path.