Varane - Maguire partnership

Devil may care

The moment when Tricao went past Maguire and Varane was straight across to cover bodes well for their understanding going forwards.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
They were okay.

Maguire got rinsed by Trincao and Varane bailed him out while Varane got bullied by Saiss and only for a once-a-season save from De Gea we probably would've lost.

FujiVice

De Gea has looked quietly fantastic so far this season. Seems to come out of his area more, hasnt made a mistake yet, and pulled off some vintage DDG saves. Hope to see this continue.

Denis79

I enjoyed how calm and composed they were in their first game. Beside varane being outmuscled for the header that lead to De Gea world class save, they both played almost the perfect game. I have no doubt that we will be top or near the top of least goal conceded in all of Europe top league if these two play consistently.
I think he was shielding the space so De Gea could rush out for the ball, De Ge doesn't leave his line often though. Luckily he didn't, those saves were just wow!

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Love the idea of them together.
Like what I've seen so far, especially with them having tons of time to develop a partnership.

MasterCode

Varane must feel at home with Maguire, that is pretty similar to his old partner.
Are you comparing Harry Maguire and Sergio Ramos. You've got to be kidding me. Harry Maguire don't even have the recovery Ramos has today let alone 2 or 3 yeara ago.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
They were okay.

Maguire got rinsed by Trincao and Varane bailed him out while Varane got bullied by Saiss and only for a once-a-season save from De Gea we probably would've lost.
:lol: you could think of literally dozens of games where you replace Rio and Vidic with Varane and Maguire there, only it wouldn't come with such an absurdly sour tone. Both centre backs going through a game without being out-done by a forward once each, playing on their weaknesses, is pretty unusual...

Troozi

I'm not saying they're going to be level of Rio / Vidic because those guys were the best! but I've got that same feeling watching Varane / Maguire as I as I did watching Rio / Vidic all those years ago.

It just feels like this is the start of a great partnership at the centre of defence, and its something that's been missing for years. Add Luke Shaw with he massive improvements last season, AWB and hopefully a back on form DeGea, and we could have a really strong defence that's needed to be winners.

RUCK4444

I thought they were good, only their first actual game together as well.

You can tell they will dovetail together nicely, both commanding in the air as well which is good to see. Some progressive passing attempted from Varane as well, missed a few but good to see him playing it out to the wings a few times, we need a bit of that.

Excited to see how they develop as a partnership moving forwards.

KennyBurner

Love how he passes the ball quickly to AWB without taking the extra touch. He is also very composed on the ball and can dribble while under pressure. Maguire could learn a lot from him.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Are you comparing Harry Maguire and Sergio Ramos. You've got to be kidding me. Harry Maguire don't even have the recovery Ramos has today let alone 2 or 3 yeara ago.
Both a front foot defender, good at passing, the alpha/leader, aggressive, and sometimes can be turned easily. Ramos has better acceleration, but Maguire better at header.

Not exactly carbon copy, but lots of similarities.

Skeezix

The moment when Tricao went past Maguire and Varane was straight across to cover bodes well for their understanding going forwards.
I observed that too. That only comes from experience, which Varane has a lot considering his young age for a CB.

Gone are the days of getting mini heart attacks everytime the opposition has a set piece opportunity.

Varane around town

They looked good. Varane visibly adds a class and calmness and we were missing with Maguire and Lindelof.

I thought Varane looked really impressive on the ball. He moved it nice and quickly and was demanding that the players in front of him started moving and gave him some options. I think we can put a big tick next to the CB department and look to strengthen other areas of the squad over the next few seasons.

eire-red

The looked really good together, and complimented one and other. Noticable that AWB had a brilliant game defensively alongside Varane.

Maguire and Shaw have a real good understanding, if Varane can bring AWB up another level then our back 4 is looking rock solid.

Gator Nate

The best part was how settled Varane looked from the start. He literally just slotted in from another league.

lsd

The Oracle
Varane was excellent in his debut and he needed to be as none of the other back four were covering themselves in too much glory bar Wan Bisakka's goal line clearence.

The worry is that is the way it is going go be and we will look at him to be that good every game not just doing his job but having to rectify the errors of his team mates

The United

Both are top 5-6 centre backs in the world (I consider VVD, Ramos, Marquinhos and Dias to be the other 4), so definitely good times ahead. Varane is probably the best possible partner for Maguire because of his speed.

If AWB and De Gea up their levels this season, I don't think we'll concede many. Shaw is also just phenomenal, best in the world for me.
Funny because Shaw and Maguire are the ones who need to get their level back at this moment.

Rojofiam

Funny because Shaw and Maguire are the ones who need to get their level back at this moment.
I assume you base that on the last 2 games, since against Leeds everyone was fantastic. I don't think 2 games are a cause for concern. They're genuinely world class players and will soon be back to their form, but I can't even say that they're in "bad form" to be honest. They'd need to put in bad perfmormances for a at least month for that. They were both amazing at the EUROs too so I don't think we should be worried about them.

The United

I assume you base that on the last 2 games, since against Leeds everyone was fantastic. I don't think 2 games are a cause for concern. They're genuinely world class players and will soon be back to their form, but I can't even say that they're in "bad form" to be honest. They'd need to put in bad perfmormances for a at least month for that. They were both amazing at the EUROs too so I don't think we should be worried about them.
I am basing on that they seem lacking fitness at this moment more so that most.