g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Varchester City 18/19 discussion

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Not so long ago it was 4 points and I was thinking we were never going to catch up since you were winning every game. To cut the GD so quickly and get ahead by 7 points has surprised me.
We imploded since Chelsea beat us. We look a shell of the side from last season right now.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
You have by far the deepest squad in the Premier League, how can you possibly be suffering from fatigue?

It's not even January.
He didn't say they were tired. Just that they got traumatised by us defeating them. :D

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
You have by far the deepest squad in the Premier League, how can you possibly be suffering from fatigue?

It's not even January.
Well you say that but look at key areas. Danilo has been out most of the season meaning Walker has played every game (plus the WC) and now he's clearly burned out. Mendy has been out for months again so we have no actual left back. De Bruyne missed four months meaning the two Silva's had to play every game and they've had a share of injuries. Fernandinho is our only DM and he's played every minute bar his current injury.

When we drew away at Lyon we had Raheem Sterling in central midfield...

Alabaster Codify7

I think they're imploding. I dont see Pep as a mentally strong manager who can rally the troops and come from behind rather than cruise in front position.

Teams are starting to have a go at them now, and succeeding. Liverpool are sickeningly going to walk the league now IMO.

Bojan11

I haven't been watching their games, but from what I hear KDB has not been performing well since his return from injury.
They been poorly since Silva has been injured. Forget all this talk of Sterling. It was Silva who was controlling the games and pulling the strings.

Alabaster Codify7

Well you say that but look at key areas. Danilo has been out most of the season meaning Walker has played every game (plus the WC) and now he's clearly burned out. Mendy has been out for months again so we have no actual left back. De Bruyne missed four months meaning the two Silva's had to play every game and they've had a share of injuries. Fernandinho is our only DM and he's played every minute bar his current injury.

Whose problem is that? You have a blank chequebook and are capable of signing SUBSTITUTES for £60m that would walk into most other teams. Pep has gone into the market for players simply to cover a current first-teamer who has suffered a relatively short-term injury.
Maybe he should be handling that blank chequebook more intelligently, then?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Bizarre to think that they've lost more in their last four league games than they had in their previous 53.

I still suspect they've got too much quality not to hit their stride again at some point and you imagine Liverpool are due a slump, but whether they've left themselves too much work to do is another question.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Whose problem is that? You have a blank chequebook and are capable of signing SUBSTITUTES for £60m that would walk into most other teams. Pep has gone into the market for players simply to cover a current first-teamer who has suffered a relatively short-term injury.
Maybe he should be handling that blank chequebook more intelligently, then?
I was responding to someone asking how we could be burned out with our squad. What you posted is irrelevant hindsight nonsense regarding the point.

untitled_6899

On a separate note, Foden wasn’t really getting much playing time when City were winning so he’s pretty much doomed now that they’re struggling

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
He didn't say they were tired. Just that they got traumatised by us defeating them. :D
He didn't say traumatised either :lol:

This doesn't really explain losing 3 on the bounce when you consider the sheer depth of City's squad. You should have more than enough cover to deal with losses to key personnel, that's the whole point of squad strengthening.

That said, every club goes through a barren spell at some point in the season so it's not completely over yet. Liverpool has to go to the Etihad in a couple of weeks - a title decider in every sense of the word - and then to Old Trafford shortly after.

City needs to get their asses in gear and sharpish.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I actually think their demise is massive for the league. It was beginning to look like the other teams should not bother turning up. It's important that the fear they put into the other teams is minimised. People were talking about City winning 5/6/7 in a row.
We all know Liverpool aren't invincible. I actually think it's better for us and the league if Liverpool win it. As unpalatable it feels.

vodrake

The talk of dynasties and dominating the league for years to come died off pretty sharpish

padr81

Supports
Man City
I don't buy it.
We've been switching off at crucial times which might suggest fatigue, but more importantly imho we've messed up final balls from rushing our play after conceding,

in all 3 losses, we've looked very good till conceding, then straight after we've been unable to find the right pass, tried to rush the killer pass.

We dominated chelsea till we conceded, then we offered nothing, against palace we dominated the ball after going behind but created feck all, missing the final ball and today after Leicester scored, we resorted to trying to cross, a few desperate long shots and completely abandoned our normal play style. Just imho of course but fatigue and injuries are no excuse to lose after leading against both palace and Leicester.

We need a vast improvement in attitude as opposed to fitness imho or Liverpool are going to murder us.

fil1542

Supports
Jose Mourinho
If City can't win the league with their current squad it would be truly embarrassing.
Even though I dislike Guardiola as much as anyone here, I would not agree. In a competitive league like the Premier League, especially in the last few years with all of the top six clubs hiring top class managers and - except Tottenham - spending insane amounts of money, it is incredible difficult to win back-to-back Championships. As the current Champion you are the team to beat, everyone knows exactly how to play and tries to adapt to your style. Also, every opponent is highly motivated when playing against you always putting in a little extra effort and extra aggression. On the contrary for your own players it is very difficult to keep up the intensity and desire for such a long time especially when winning so much and being so successful. Yo just need to look at Chelsea who won the title with Jose and Conte and struggled heavily the following season. So for me it is not surprising that almost no one could win two a titles in the row in the recent past. If I am not wrong, apart from Sir Alex and the worst manager in the history of football, no other manager was able to do that in the Premier League era.

Having said that, City has lots of world class players with super-quality, a top manager and unlimited funds. It wouldn´t surprise me at all if they break the bank in the January transfer window again, go on and win the league. Liverpool did not look as convincing as for example City last year so I am sure they will drop a fair amount of points, too and if City beats them at Etihad they still have a good chance to win the title.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
I actually think their demise is massive for the league. It was beginning to look like the other teams should not bother turning up. It's important that the fear they put into the other teams is minimised. People were talking about City winning 5/6/7 in a row.
Couldn't agree more. Many teams were seemingly coming to terms with the loss before game even kicked off.

KGBhoy

They need to buy Van Dijk and Salah in January. Splash 500m on them. This should solve the Liverpool problem too.

Deleted member 101472

No Fernandinho and no David Silva again, no surprise whatever about the result when those two play city are a different animal

Canagel

Maybe City just aren't that good under pressure aside from the injuries. Liverpool obviously exposed some their weaknesses last season and this year stayed right with them in the title race - something we failed to do last season. A lot of their dominance was physiological like @Adisa mentioned. Teams were beaten before the game started . They don't like to be under pressure and perhaps this is why they're struggling.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
We all know Liverpool aren't invincible. I actually think it's better for us and the league if Liverpool win it. As unpalatable it feels.
:lol:

Your heart broke into a million little pieces typing that...didnt it?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
:lol:

Your heart broke into a million little pieces typing that...didnt it?
Of course. But I really do believe it. Teams were beginning to think the best they can finish is second. Teams played City with no belief they could even score, never mind win.
We all know Liverpool aren't special and only having a great season. No one will go into next season believing they cannot finish above Liverpool or beat them.

K2K

Of course. But I really do believe it. Teams were beginning to think the best they can finish is second. Teams played City with no belief they could even score, never mind win.
We all know Liverpool aren't special and only having a great season. No one will go into next season believing they cannot finish above Liverpool or beat them.
Klopp is a great manager. He might not dominate but this will surely not be his last title.

I can see him wanting to stay at that club for a long long time too.

Tragedy all round.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
What an overreaction to a couple of defeats. There’s still 19 games left to be played and if they beat us in a week they’ll be 4 points off top trailing two sides who’ve never won the PL.

TheScriptwriter

Supports
Juventus
You people realise Liverpool is playing Arsenal and City next right? They could very well be back to 1 point above City after those games.

K2K

What an overreaction to a couple of defeats. There’s still 19 games left to be played and if they beat us in a week they’ll be 4 points off top trailing two sides who’ve never won the PL.
In 2016 neither Leicester or Spurs had won the league.

Once City fell behind they kept falling further behind. Their past title wins counted for nothing.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We're going to take credit for their bad form anyway. :D
I can see why you might think this way but I'm afraid you are mistaken. It may have escaped your attention but since the evil one was kicked out of Old Trafford, City has gone on to lose to both Palace and Leicester in rather uncompromising fashion.

I mean what seems more likely to you:

a) City gets outplayed at Chelsea before ultimately losing the game, beginning a period of rot that would see them lose their next 13 games

or

b) Mourinho gets sacked which begins the following turn of events; the stars align, the dead rise from their graves, pigs begin to fly, City fall off the map.

Bojan11

Pepus gone by May and Mou in?

We've seen crazier things, plus City is plastic.
No chance.

The ex Barca lot at City didn’t want his type of football when they were at Barca and that was when he was at his best.

crossy1686

career ending
City look like they're having the blip most (including myself) predicted they would have last season but never did. The style Pep wants to play is so intense its unsustainable over a season, drop a world cup summer on top of that and you've got injuries and fatigue by Christmas instead of March, when everyone can see the finish line.

Starting to think that this season will be more like Pep's first season than anything else now and we're going to have to hope Spurs don't be Spurs and Liverpool do a Liverpool. Either way, something is going to give this year.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
I can see why you might think this way but I'm afraid you are mistaken. It may have escaped your attention but since the evil one was kicked out of Old Trafford, City has gone on to lose to both Palace and Leicester in rather uncompromising fashion.

I mean what seems more likely to you:

a) City gets outplayed at Chelsea before ultimately losing the game, beginning a period of rot that would see them lose their next 13 games

or

b) Mourinho gets sacked which begins the following turn of events; the stars align, the dead rise from their graves, pigs begin to fly, City fall off the map.
:lol: This is too good!

Carolina Red

Staff

It really is amazing that you’ve got so little depth in the squad, all things considered.