Varchester City 18/19 discussion

Canagel

City were consistently the biggest scorers under Pellegrini and had by far the best players.

Mancini they were buidling up and had to make the CL for the first time under this stewardship. He had a much tougher job than Guardiola.

The next manager will be given millions if not billions, if he doesn't dominate the league he'll have done a terrible job.
They will always win titles as long as they continue to spend but I don't expect them to keep the same level of domination. They won with Pellegrini in the 1st year but Liverpool and Chelsea were there until the end. It wasn't complete domination.
The second year they dropped slightly and Chelsea won the PL.

b20times

Spend as much as they want, we are still massive and they are small time and bitter.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The best thing I can say about him is that even with the money they have spent, I don't think they would be this good under any other manager.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Don’t know how anyone can justify what they do when it’s literally only possible because of bribery. Yes, they’re obviously well run, but they’re actually cheating.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
They have an absolutely fantastic football team. No one is catching them this season. It'll be back to back titles for Pep there. The sooner he falls out with someone/fecks off from there the better. His tactical set up, player development and entertainment factor are all top class. The only silver lining is that Liverpool aren't winning the league this season.
Not sure which is worse - City or Liverpool.
What am I saying. Only one thing could be possibly worse and that would be the goonners.

God. I hate football.....

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
They're a very good team, hopefully Guardiola gets bored with them and moves somewhere else. They have a strong core of players with a lot of them still being very decent ages, that said there are quite a few I think will struggle once Guardiola moves on. City are just a very efficient team, I think they'll walk the league again, it's crazy how easily they've coped without De Bruyne. One thing that gives me a bit of hope that no matter who they appoint after Guardiola it'll be a significant step down. I don't think we'll ever see this kind of domination post-Guardiola again.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We attempted to sign Pep but he opted for City and the oil money. Hardly surprising all things considered.
I've never seen it anywhere that we tried. I remember before the Wolfsburg game when Ed briefed that LVG was the man and they were not interested in Pep because he's short term gig kind of guy.

AltiUn

What am I saying. Only one thing could be possibly worse and that would be the goonners.

Liverpool are worse by miles, I'd cut off my foot if it meant they'd never lift another trophy again.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Don't mind Arsenal.

Liverpool is easily the worst for me.

Posh Red

I've never seen it anywhere that we tried. I remember before the Wolfsburg game when Ed briefed that LVG was the man and they were not interested in Pep because he's short term gig kind of guy.
Depends what you believe because I’ve heard some people say he has agreed to go there years in advance. But Fergie asked him before we got Moyes and he turned us down and went to Bayern.

steffyr2

You don’t think that. Not really. If money was all that mattered then we wouldn’t be outplayed by the likes of Bournemouth, Brighton and West Ham.

Money takes a team a long, long way. It doesn’t guarantee a football team. Or an attractive style of football. Or record points tallies. A brain like Guardiola plays a huge part in that. Which you know.
At some point it does. When there's the money to buy the best player at every position, and then buy 2 more best players at each position to be sure.

Utd halfheartedly is buying players -- young -n- learning defenders who are likely to make mistakes, no wing players, a few midfielders who are prone to injury. Teams can find weaknesses to exploit, and sometimes it works. Enough money and there are no weaknesses.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Liverpool are worse by miles, I'd cut off my foot if it meant they'd never lift another trophy again.
Yeh. I have to agree but not too sure about the foot though. Perhaps something I use less often....

I have grudging respect for City.
For Liverpool no respect at all.
As for the goonners I dislike them more than hate itself.

AltiUn

Yeh. I have to agree but not too sure about the foot though. Perhaps something I use less often....

I have grudging respect for City.
For Liverpool no respect at all.
As for the goonners I dislike them more than hate itself.
I'm the opposite, I have plenty of respect for Arsenal and Liverpool because they're actual clubs to me, they're organic and actually built their way up. City are the PR model of some rich Qataris who piggy-backed off the Manchester popularity, which is because of us. Great team, well run club but I haven't a shred of respect for them.

Dante

Average bang
"This is how it feels to be City..."

:( Feck me. This is how it feels to be a City fan back when United were ripping it up.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I read somewhere that we approached him on 2 separate occasions, once before Fergie retired and then again after Moyes was sacked. No idea if any of it is true.

GeorgieBoy

They aren’t even a level above us at the moment; but multiple levels. That doesn’t really seem like it will change until Pep moves on which is a scary thought.

On the bright side:
1.Stops Liverpool winning things.
2.Its all a bit hollow isn’t it? From the empty seats to the stadium named after an airline. The forced atmosphere and the plastic flags. Their cup final is still United and always will be. They’re the best team in the country with the best players in the league and you could walk up 15 minutes before KO today and get a ticket like that...

Raw

Only way we could ever hope to catch up to them is if Pep leaves. It's pointless otherwise.

Stacks

They are making the EPL boring. Their gold difference is just stupid and the thrashings they issue to teams makes their matches uncompetitive. I dunno what can be done to halt this as they have a fairly young team. I am positive Pep will get Jaded and maybe manage Brazil or something.

El Zoido

Funny and also depressing how many people are convinced Pep is going to leave after next season. The reality is he could do another decade.

Raw

Funny and also depressing how many people are convinced Pep is going to leave after next season. The reality is he could do another decade.
I don't know, I don't think he'd leave after next season but maybe for another 3-4 years. I can't see him staying for a whole decade.

RedorDead21

Neville and Carragher did seem to be saying everything but "best ever team in this country" afew weeks back on MNF

AltiUn

Dunno about next season but judging by his career path so far and some of his comments on managing other teams someday, I don't think Pep is gonna stick around that long.

RedorDead21

Dunno about next season but judging by his career path so far and some of his comments on managing other teams someday, I don't think Pep is gonna stick around that long.
And George Clooney will never settle down.....

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Makes for a boring league having this lot around.

Raw

Makes for a boring league having this lot around.
It's astonishing that there are 3 undefeated teams after 11 games, first time it's happened in PL history, and yet it still feels like City are just gonna run away with it and not make it an interesting title race at all.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Hey EPL fans......

EPL is a one team shite league. Bundesliga is the bestest most competitive league.

*Runs away

padr81

Supports
Man City
"This is how it feels to be City..."

:( Feck me. This is how it feels to be a City fan back when United were ripping it up.
You'll never know how it felt, a struggle for you guys is 6th or 7th and the occasional trophy. Our struggles were League One. No LVG or even Moyes will feel like that.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
It's astonishing that there are 3 undefeated teams after 11 games, first time it's happened in PL history, and yet it still feels like City are just gonna run away with it and not make it an interesting title race at all.
Indeed. We’re unbeaten, only two points off and yet I have zero confidence in us putting up any real title challenge.

Hazard Warning

Supports
Chelsea
Teams in the lower half of the table should just not show up to the game vs city and take the 3-0 loss that they would be awarded, it would be better for their goal difference.

As a Chelsea fan, I’m enjoying how we are doing and how quickly we have adapted to Sarri’s football, but ourselves and Liverpool are nowhere near this City team. It’s funny how some people are saying they won’t be or aren’t as good as last season’s 100 point team, when in reality they are actually playing better than last season :lol:

Can we all have a whip round and pay Pep to go manage some team far away from England?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I'm the opposite, I have plenty of respect for Arsenal and Liverpool because they're actual clubs to me, they're organic and actually built their way up. City are the PR model of some rich Qataris who piggy-backed off the Manchester popularity, which is because of us. Great team, well run club but I haven't a shred of respect for them.
Actually that is a fair point. But I still hate the goonners.

clarkydaz

in a recent interview he said he understands how people can manage in England for a long time, as the pressure and intrusion is nothing compared to Spain.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Only way we could ever hope to catch up to them is if Pep leaves. It's pointless otherwise.
The unveiling of a European Super League, to which both City and PSG will not be invited, is a very realistic alternative to Pep leaving.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
City have got to be frustrated that they haven't opened up a similar lead to the one they had last season given how much better they are than Liverpool/Chelsea and the rest

Whiskey Red

Supports
Liverpool
in a recent interview he said he understands how people can manage in England for a long time, as the pressure and intrusion is nothing compared to Spain.
Well then, it's time to start camping on his door step :lol:

Gomes

It's much more to do with the club he is managing. Nobody still cares that much about City. The "somehow" extremely friendly media help as well.

Reactions: SteveJ

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Consider this, if you will:

City has indeed outspent their competition by a considerably large margin and will undoubtedly continue this trend in the years to come - this is an undeniable fact - the question is, does domestic dominance, a large collection of trophies and possessing one of the greatest club sides the prem has ever seen, justify that spending?
Not sure I understand the question - to whom? The spending is sovereign wealth exercising soft power. If it enables the owners to keep open doors and shift any wayward glances at their practices than it's probably worth the $2bn they've sunk in.

Personally would prefer they'd 'invested' in humanitarian efforts or charities, but that's not quite as media-grabbing as a football team, sadly.