Variable Formation Draft - QF: Michaelf7 vs Gio

With players at their peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Michaelf7

Gio

Michaelf7 Tactics

My team will be playing a 4-4-2 Diamond Formation. Boniek will play as the more deep lying of the two strikers favouring the left hand side although he has freedom to drift. As most of my players are well known, I will first discuss Belodedici who is the least well known player on my team before mentioning some of my teams strengths and advantages that I think I will have in this match.

Miodrag Belodedici was the first player to win the European Cup with two different clubs and was an important player on both occasions that the European Cup/Champions League was won by an Eastern European club. In this post @Enigma_87 describes Belodedici as both a defensive organizer and a playmaker from deep.

Team Strengths

• The proven combination of Tardelli, Boniek and Platini who played together at Juventus.
  • Looking at Gio's squad, I think I'll have the edge in the midfield battle
  • Having two elite goalscorers in Platini and Romario
Gio Tactics

THE 3-5-2 FIT

The defence are all natural fits. Cannavaro excelled there for Parma while Förster is pretty much the quintessential man-marking stopper in a back 3. An additional layer of protection is offered by Shesternyov, who, as a defence-first sweeper, has the dynamism and pace to shut out much of the space Romario would look for. With Shesternyov's compatriot Yashin offering further premium insurance cover, collectively that's a tough unit for the Brazilian to unlock.

Manning the left flank is Brehme who won the World Cup in the same role and system. Matthaus inside him did the same. Zidane in the hole is well versed in operating with narrower Serie A / France attacks and has the technical and physical toolkit to navigate and unlock tight spaces. Rivaldo is pretty much textbook as a second striker who can roam wide. Like Brehme and Matthaus, he has won a World Cup in exactly the same system.

KEY TACTICAL BATTLES

Lothar Matthaus and Graeme Souness are tasked to take care of Platini.
By subduing the French playmaker, no easy task admittedly, Michael's ability to create chances will be seriously neutered. It'll be an absolute war of attrition in that midfield area so I'd envisage it's most likely that the more creative types (Platini and Zidane) will be cancelled out. In turn I feel that the game gets decided in wider areas where our wing-backs should provide the ammo to the attack to make the difference.

Chance creation will rely on players out wide. Andreas Brehme and Carlos Alberto should take control of their flanks, coaxing the ball into the feet of Rivaldo and Spencer to strike for goal. Both wing-backs and Rivaldo offer a viable route to goal through their pinpoint crossing to one of the greatest aerial threats of all time in Spencer. It's worth noting that only 1 of Michael's 10 outfielders break the 6ft mark whereas we have a big attack in Spencer, Rivaldo and Zidane, never mind the additional set-piece threat offered by our 3 central defenders.

Enigma_87

You know who
Two great teams. Mike's front 6 is just :drool: which leans it for him at this point

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
My only observation since Michael's formation was revealed is that the diamond should suit the way we are set up. The diamond is strong through the middle, but our back three gives us strength in numbers down the centre. And it should hand the initiative to our wing-backs - Brehme and Carlos Alberto - who are arguably the premier playmakers in their position.

There is a tactical precedent from the 2005 Champions League Final (sorry lads). In the first-half Milan's gold standard diamond eviscerated Liverpool's 4-4-1-1 with Kaka in particular running riot as they strolled into a 3-0 lead.

Liverpool's half-time switch to 3-4-1-2 made all the difference. The two deepest central midfielders Hamann and Alonso shut out the space for Kaka (see Platini). The wide central defenders could do a straightforward marking job on Crespo and Shevchenko that suited their skillsets. Meanwhile, both wing-backs Riise and Smicer started dictating the game, afforded space wide of Milan's diamond. Riise assisted the first goal with a cross from the left to Gerrard, while Smicer scored the second from the right hand side.

The switch to 3-4-1-2 nullified Milan's diamond and ultimately won Liverpool the Champions League.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Andy Brehme to Cábeza Mágica Alberto Spencer

Left foot, right foot, from the touchline or the inside-left channel, from deep or from the bye-line - none of it matters as it always ends up on the striker's noggin.

I imagine Brehme will get time and space (Romario ain't going to cover across to shut him off) to work those crossing angles.