Venus Williams at fault in fatal car crash

Fergies Gum

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
The UK has an offence of 'causing death by careless or inconsiderate driving', does the US has some equivalent? Could Williams be brought up on charges at some later date?

Last edited:

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Sometimes celebrities/wealthy persons get away with murder, literally. Leonard Little was a well-known case back in the late 90s. Killed a wife/mother while drunk driving, got a slap on the wrist. Earned a $17m contract two years later when he should have been playing edge rusher on the prison team, and got a DUI a few years later as well.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=1789026
http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/04123/309759.stm

I will not be surprised if Venus gets off very lightly. She might get sued in civil court though (and probable).

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Did anything ever happen to Kaitlin(Kathryn? I refuse to google anything to do with that fecking family) Jenner for killing someone a few years ago? Besides being called brave every few minutes.

She's a mega-celebrity, she won't be touched.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Sorry OP, I don't mean to be pedantic but the thread title states Williams is at fault, the Guardian article only quotes it as an allegation.

Innocent until proven otherwise, etc...

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I feel horrible for everyone involved. There is a chance of this happening everytime you get in the car.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Did you read the article? It sounds like an unfortunate accident.

Siorac

Sometimes celebrities/wealthy persons get away with murder, literally. Leonard Little was a well-known case back in the late 90s. Killed a wife/mother while drunk driving, got a slap on the wrist. Earned a $17m contract two years later when he should have been playing edge rusher on the prison team, and got a DUI a few years later as well.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=1789026
http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/04123/309759.stm

I will not be surprised if Venus gets off very lightly. She might get sued in civil court though (and probable).
I'd prefer that, actually. I mean, neither Williams going to prison nor she paying a lot of money to me will bring my loved one back. But the latter is still infinitely more useful to me than seeing her behind bars.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Not under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Last edited:

CircusMonkey

Did anything ever happen to Kaitlin(Kathryn? I refuse to google anything to do with that fecking family) Jenner for killing someone a few years ago? Besides being called brave every few minutes.

She's a mega-celebrity, she won't be touched.
Nah, instead they made him women of the year.

SteveTheRed

I read the police report says she was driving at 5mph, no alcohol,drugs or phone distractions. Feel like I need a diagram as to how this fatal accident occurred?!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Isn't Venus the Philip Neville version of the Williams?

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
She went through a red light and violated the right of way?
So a double fault.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
She went through a red light and violated the right of way?
So a double fault.
She allegedly went through a green light but got stopped by traffic on the intersection.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
There's no situation into which devilish can't force a Neville dig.
Actually Im praising Philip Neville here. Venus Williams is/was a better tennis player then he was as a player.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I'd prefer that, actually. I mean, neither Williams going to prison nor she paying a lot of money to me will bring my loved one back. But the latter is still infinitely more useful to me than seeing her behind bars.
Not saying she should go to prison because I haven't read the article yet but this point is as stupid as it gets, you're basically saying if you have money you can buy your way out of a murder charge?

Siorac

Not saying she should go to prison because I haven't read the article yet but this point is as stupid as it gets, you're basically saying if you have money you can buy your way out of a murder charge?
No, not a murder charge. Not any charge, really.

I'm just stating my personal preference - also note that it only applies to an offence like this, when she just ran a red light which is not the same as murder. Also, it's not something that should be codified in any way.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Well, not really. He's saying he'd prefer money. I would too.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
No, not a murder charge. Not any charge, really.

I'm just stating my personal preference - also note that it only applies to an offence like this, when she just ran a red light which is not the same as murder. Also, it's not something that should be codified in any way.
I get what you're saying, and I'd agree with you and @Scarecrow that money would be much better if I was the relative of that guy who died of no fault of his own, running a red light is and ending up killing someone no matter how unfortunate should result in the same punishment for all.

Imagine a week later and the same incident occurs but this time a student struggling to pay bills runs a red light and kills someone, she hasn't got any money so her only option is to spend the next 15 years in prison cos she couldn't afford to pay her way out of her crime, likewise to the relative of that person she killed, what if they wanted a few million instead of knowing the student went to prison? Could get awful messy.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I get what you're saying, and I'd agree with you and @Scarecrow that money would be much better if I was the relative of that guy who died of no fault of his own, running a red light is and ending up killing someone no matter how unfortunate should result in the same punishment for all.

Imagine a week later and the same incident occurs but this time a student struggling to pay bills runs a red light and kills someone, she hasn't got any money so her only option is to spend the next 15 years in prison cos she couldn't afford to pay her way out of her crime, likewise to the relative of that person she killed, what if they wanted a few million instead of knowing the student went to prison? Could get awful messy.
Well, I'm not proposing that there be a choice between a prison sentence and a monetary settlement, obviously. Just saying it in principle.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Didn't Matthew Broderick run someone over, killing them, in Ireland in the 80s?