Verratti

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’m surprised England is appreciating him so much. There is no obvious headline stat to focus on. Half the time it’s as if England struggles to see beyond ‘G+A’.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I’m surprised England is appreciating him so much. There is no obvious headline stat to focus on. Half the time it’s as if England struggles to see beyond ‘G+A’.
Come on, England is the country of Football, there is plenty of sophisticated followers. Don't put everyone in the same bag. :lol:

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Caf was clearly in love with Modric during his peak.

arnie_ni

I will have to watch Scholes during that period again. I don't think he was as elegant in possession as Verratti.
I'm not sure there is many in world football are tbh.

Hes right up there with the best ever in that regard at least from my lifetime imo.

I absolutely love him

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Come on, England is the country of Football, there is plenty of sophisticated followers. Don't put everyone in the same bag. :lol:
Most conversation or comparison between two midfielders often seems to want to simply separate them by G+A. Or tackles/interceptions. Not so much the things that Verratti excels at. I rarely see that stuff as a topic of discussion, and even if a player is good at it - the consensus is that he ‘needs to add goals to his game’.

You can look at the thread I created on Curtis Jones a year or so ago. Many people saying he has talent but ultimately they struggled to get h or his usefulness due to him not being a G+A player.

JPRouve

Scout
Most conversation or comparison between two midfielders often seems to want to simply separate them by G+A. Or tackles/interceptions. Not so much the things that Verratti excels at. I rarely see that stuff as a topic of discussion, and even if a player is good at it - the consensus is that he ‘needs to add goals to his game’.

You can look at the thread I created on Curtis Jones a year or so ago. Many people saying he has talent but ultimately they struggled to get h or his usefulness due to him not being a G+A player.
Thinking about it, you are right. No one supported me when I put Xabi Alonso in the PL CM Top 10 and Carrick has been generally underrated. :D

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Caf was clearly in love with Modric during his peak.
Modric really is the best exemple of that, he had terrible stats while at his prime. He was so good at dictating the tempo of a game, amazing player.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
We badly, i mean badly, need a verratti or modric in MF.

You could see when Bruno came on today he started playing the passes. Something which Matic and Mctominah couldnt do.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Shame injuries have held him back, I wonder how much of his smoking habit and night life might impact that.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Shame injuries have held him back, I wonder how much of his smoking habit and night life might impact that.
It's impossible to quantify, but needless to say it certainly couldn't have helped. He's unfortunately very unreliable, and when he's fit it's his temperament that can get the best of him. He also happens to be pretty much the only quality midfielder PSG have that's playing like it.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Poch is shit, get it through your head.
Doing a good job at psg so far, but that isn’t the point. The point is that if we are to land such a brilliant minfielder in Verratti, he would be more comfortable playing under a manager he has played under before. if we have a midfielder like Verratti, he will completely transform United midfield.

—————verratti
————fred - Pogba
——————Bruno
greenwood ————-sancho/Rashford

:drool:

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Bring Pochettino here and he is the slightest chance that we can land Verrati. He is an amazing midfielder that goes underrated because he doesn’t have high assist or goal stats.
There is litteraly NO reason far Verratti to leave with Pochettino. None. Aucune. Zilch. Nada. You're delusional, as usual.

kaku06

It’s a huge shame he wasted his whole career at psg and in ligue 1 literally the whole career. From a young prodigy at pescara if I’m not mistaken to psg till retirement. Could have played for any other big club in any other big league but the guy chose to spend his whole career in a plastic club in a farmers league. Unambitious as feck. Tried to leave once but the Qataris made him apologise in a special interview at gun point.

Scottynaldinho

He's 30 now. We can get a good 4,5 years from him if we can get him for cheap.

Pipe dream I know, but a midfield of Casemiro, Veratti and Bruno would be perfect.

JPRouve

Scout

Pipe dream I know, but a midfield of Casemiro, Veratti and Bruno would be perfect.
He extended his contract this week.

Kaos

Eh? Are we even linked with him? Or is this just a bump on the back of a fantasy?

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
One of the most overrated players of all time?

Did nothing of note at PSG despite his talents, went missing one way or another whenever was needed, buggered off to Qatar at the age of 30.

His only real achievement is being a key player in Italy's Euro win.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG

Did nothing of note at PSG despite his talents, went missing one way or another whenever was needed, buggered off to Qatar at the age of 30.

He played hundreds of games, you have eyes, you don't need "achievements" to assess if we was overrated or not, it's a lazy approach.

He was a great midfielder with some limitations and an injury issue. Probably the best in the last decade to defuse a press, terrible when he was supposed to shoot, great passer but with a lack of range, that was Verratti, not a perfect midfielder but a great one.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
He played hundreds of games, you have eyes, you don't need "achievements" to assess if we was overrated or not, it's a lazy approach.

He was a great midfielder with some limitations and an injury issue. Probably the best in the last decade to defuse a press, terrible when he was supposed to shoot, great passer but with a lack of range, that was Verratti, not a perfect midfielder but a great one.
That really is the perfect description. I might rate Modric over him when it comes to beating the press, but Verratti is definitely up there as well.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid

Its not unfair to point out that Verratti lacks merits for a midfielder who supposedly was one of the very, very best in his position, especially considering he went missing a bunch of times in high pressure games too, either through injuries, suspension, or mediocre performances.

He was a good midfielder, but i don't think he was ever at the level with some of those he was compared with during his time at PSG, hence overrated, in my view.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Him playing in the French league for all of his prime will always be used against him, but, for me, he's one of the best midfielders I've seen live. People will also look at PSGs humiliations in Europe, but, as an individual, I saw him come out on top against the likes of Fabregas, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Modric, etc, and that was because he was just as good.

He had flaws. I always liken him to de Jong and Arthur. Three of the most press resistant midfielders I've seen, but all had a limited passing range and couldn't shoot. Their assets were keeping the ball under pressure and advancing it through carrying rather than passing.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City

He was a class player and a fantastic midlfielder who chose the wrong club/league. His career will never reflect his talent, a true shame.

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
Him playing in the French league for all of his prime will always be used against him, but, for me, he's one of the best midfielders I've seen live. People will also look at PSGs humiliations in Europe, but, as an individual, I saw him come out on top against the likes of Fabregas, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Modric, etc, and that was because he was just as good.

He had flaws. I always liken him to de Jong and Arthur. Three of the most press resistant midfielders I've seen, but all had a limited passing range and couldn't shoot. Their assets were keeping the ball under pressure and advancing it through carrying rather than passing.
I think De Jong is arguably the world’s best CM at the moment. Given his qualities, age and profile, I’d certainly struggle to name another player clearly superior in his position.

I also think Veratti was among the best in the world in his position in recent years. His biggest issue is mentality - as he’s prone to poor decision making when it comes to tackling and is guilty of picking up silly cards and suspensions. He does provide absolutely 0 goal threat, but I’m not sure I’d be critical of him for that.

Arthur is just a massive disappointment.

On another note, but I think Banega was/is massively underrated and is a player in a similar vein to the above.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I was a huge Banega fan, too, @Calidad . I used to watch a lot Valencia in the early 2010s just to watch him.

SambaBoy

I was a huge Banega fan, too, @Calidad . I used to watch a lot Valencia in the early 2010s just to watch him.
I always find these metronomes/press resistant midfielders struggle when they play at the very highest level due to their lack of physicality.

Banega never made a jump to the biggest clubs, Arthur didn't forge a proper career in Europe despite the hype, De Jong has shown bits and pieces at Barca but nothing more. Veratti has always been lauded as this press resistant midfielder but it's hard to judge as he's never played for one of the top clubs in a top league and has always been injured/missing when PSG are in the CL later stages. The same was written about Jorginho when he was at Napoli but whilst he was a good player at Chelsea, he never really set the world alight.