Vibe with Five - Rio Ferdinand Podcast

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
So Rio has a podcast with Stephen Howson and Joel Beya. It's actually a decent listen as they're able to relate to footballers a bit more than the average interviewers do. The Holgate and Godfrey one was particularly enjoyable as an Everton fan - they both seem like great lads with a lot of determination. The Morrison ep is worth a watch/listen too.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

LARulz

Also sounds like Rio is in favour of a WC every 2 years? He has Wenger on his show to discuss it tomorrow which is fine and think good, but he had a random Instagram live today for 5 mins where Javier Mascherano came on to say he likes the idea and that's it

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Also sounds like Rio is in favour of a WC every 2 years? He has Wenger on his show to discuss it tomorrow which is fine and think good, but he had a random Instagram live today for 5 mins where Javier Mascherano came on to say he likes the idea and that's it
I imagine a lot of influential voices have been well rewarded for their support of a WC every 2 years.

Just can't see how anyone who has played in the modern game and knows the impact overplaying has/has any care for the Euros would support this. It's just overkill to plump up FIFA's oversized pockets.

Dante

Average bang

00:00; - Intro
03:19; - The Manchester Derby
6:35; - What next for Man United and Ole?
21:39; - Man United Player Reactions
27:39; - City in Cruise Control
28:39; - Man United have no identity
30:34; - Are the players to blame?
36:15; - Rios Birthday/Shirt Giveaway
37:09; - Arsene Wenger & the future of Football
38:49; - David Moyes & West Ham
43:27; - Liverpool
45:17; - Virgil van Dijk
51:00; - Arsenal
55:40; - Big Players Egos
59:14; - Patrick Viera & Crystal Palace
1:01:47; - Can Antonio Conte do anything this season?
1:03:59; - Brendan Rodgers to United
1:07:17; - Who will manage Man United next?
1:08:31; - Newcastle
1:09:39; - Outro

flameinthesun

Rio explains his point really well regarding Ole and kudos to him.

Howson pretty much makes no sense. Spends a minute going on some high horse rant about not wanting a manager to get sacked to the point rio even asks him what is he trying to say. Then says it wasn't the performances/results against villa, west ham, young boys, leicester etc as they can happen....apparently...but it was that we played defensive against pool and city which is why he thinks Ole has gone as far as he can...pretty sure the reason we were 4 nil down to pool was due to playing suicidal attacking/pressing. No clue.

Really like this podcast, it would be even better without Howson!

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

GueRed

If they scrap the Euro's and copa america

I'm all for a World Cup every two years.

The minute or so after 12:45 is spot on. We are fitting our tactics around the players we have instead of fitting the players around the tactics. It comes down to the fact that for whatever reason Ole cant teach the players to follow his philosophy. After 3 years that's disgraceful.

Thunderhead

Supports
City

Howson pretty much makes no sense. Spends a minute going on some high horse rant about not wanting a manager to get sacked to the point rio even asks him what is he trying to say. Then says it wasn't the performances/results against villa, west ham, young boys, leicester etc as they can happen....apparently...but it was that we played defensive against pool and city which is why he thinks Ole has gone as far as he can...pretty sure the reason we were 4 nil down to pool was due to playing suicidal attacking/pressing. No clue.

totally agree with this, didn't even know that Xavi had gone to Barca

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I have typically enjoyed Ferdinand's punditry across the board.

The only real exception was when he defended Mike Ashley purely for business reasons and due to Sports Direct exclusively selling his clothing brand.

LARulz

Howson really did embarrass himself even more than I thought he could on that. Surprised Joel didn't take him to town

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I always thought that pundits simultaneously talking about the need for incredibly high standards at the club and and by its players, while also wanting to retain manager who clearly isn't up to the job and those same high standards (at least anymore) was daft.

Solskjaer was a tremendous player, an amazing servant for the club and seems like such a nice, likeable guy. As someone who isn't a Man Utd fan but admired the club when I was a kid growing up, I wanted him to succeed and get the club in the position where they could challenge for / win big trophies again. But clearly, most of us know that simply doesn't have the managerial ability to succeed long-term in the job, take the club on to next level etc. There are a huge number of people who aren't up to managing Man Utd long term, so that's not exactly a disgrace.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Rio made a complete fool of himself throughout the Euros with his ridiculous arrogance. His comments prior to the Scotland game and Italy game were both disrespectful and idiotic.

Rio is a moron.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
A lot of mutual respect between Rio and Kompany.

Rio made a complete fool of himself throughout the Euros with his ridiculous arrogance. His comments prior to the Scotland game and Italy game were both disrespectful and idiotic.

Rio is a moron.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Rio is better than Carvalho07’

lsd

The Oracle

Rio is a moron.
To be fair pretty much all English do this and is why it's so much fun when they fail

Edit

I wrote that not really knowing what he said but having a pretty good idea then just googled it and yes so much more hilarious when they lose

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
To be fair pretty much all English do this and is why it's so much fun when they fail

Edit

I wrote that not really knowing what he said but having a pretty good idea then just googled it and yes so much more hilarious when they lose

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
English pundit gets excited about his countries chances. What. A. Clown.

Strats

Bit of a bump in a old thread but thought Rio gave a great insight(starts with a discussion about Rio preferring to face Henry rather than Bergkamp, starts around 33:20) in how vital awareness and communication is in the back four can be, describing his relationship with Gary Neville on the pitch.

Also highlighted how lack of of the above is a massive flaw in Wan Bissakas game which we saw yesterday when Nketiah scored. Seems like its a quite a problem since he repeatedly loses- or isnt aware of where his man is on crosses.

Do also want to point out that Joel Beya can be likeable at times, but is also at the same time insufferable and clueless, not just based on todays episode. Proved how little he knows when discussing Weghorst and made some weird comparison to Ibrahimovic, and came to some conclusion that if Weghorst is available then some better player must be. Reminds me about one of my mates who is just loud but has no idea what he's talking about.

Last edited:

TheRedHearted

Bit of a bump in a old thread but thought Rio gave a great insight(starts with a discussion about Rio preferring to face Henry rather than Bergkamp, starts around 33:20) in how vital awareness and communication is in the back four can be, describing his relationship with Gary Neville on the pitch.

Also highlighted how lack of of the above is a massive flaw in Wan Bissakas game which we saw yesterday when Nketiah scored. Seems like its a quite a problem since he repeatedly loses- or isnt aware of where his man is on crosses.

Do also want to point out that Joel Beya even if he can be likeable at times, but is also at the same time insufferable and clueless, not just based on todays episode. Proved how little he knows when discussing Weghorst and made some weird comparison to Ibrahimovic, and came to some conclusion that if Weghorst is available then some better player must be. Reminds me about one of my mates who is just loud but has no idea what he's talking about.
Shaws done it a bunch for us too, doubling on a man in the middle while leaving the winger wide open. The wingers always look so happy to get such a meal on a plate

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Didn’t know this had its own thread, it’s a great listen - despite the cringe intro.

Withnail

Anyone who's watched AWB over the past few seasons should be aware he's often out of position defensively and loses his man when crosses come in. He's a great tackler but he's a bad defender and is fairly useless going forward. We got well and truly ripped off with that deal. He should be gone in the Summer and we'll be lucky to get 20m for him.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Anyone who's watched AWB over the past few seasons should be aware he's often out of position defensively and loses his man when crosses come in. He's a great tackler but he's a bad defender and is fairly useless going forward. We got well and truly ripped off with that deal. He should be gone in the Summer and we'll be lucky to get 20m for him.
He seems to be in decent form post World Cup. Might be good time to leverage that into tricking a sucker into buying him on deadline day.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
The first goal we Lost was a trade Mark AWB’s mistake

flameinthesun

Do also want to point out that Joel Beya can be likeable at times, but is also at the same time insufferable and clueless, not just based on todays episode. Proved how little he knows when discussing Weghorst and made some weird comparison to Ibrahimovic, and came to some conclusion that if Weghorst is available then some better player must be. Reminds me about one of my mates who is just loud but has no idea what he's talking about.
Gotta say though....the intro was hilarious ha we gotta take the L, I would have done the same as him if we had won!

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Good podcast. Football podcasts in general are great.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
To be fair I’m not watching them regularly but Howson does seem to (thankfully) appear a bit less lately?