Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

It is true none of the countries are among the best in the world, but England and Argentina are still ok teams and Swedens defence has been very strong.

I agree with most of that, except I thought Smalling and Lindelof did pretty well during the final half last season. I think the rotations of centrebacks, midfielders and wingers in combination with weird positions for some players have made this team a mess.

Last year I totally agree, because United conceded very few goals. This season however the defence has been worse in combination with DDG has not been at the same level as last season so there is clearly a problem there. However I also believe there are way bigger problems in the midfield and also there is no good attack. The whole team look dysfunctional atm.

What do you mean by sandwiched? I think player by player United have a good midfield, but it is just not working.
The defense has been worse because of Mourinho and the clubs pursuit of other players. What was fairly solid last season wasnt what we started the season with, and there was a big commotion in the summer about not signing a new CB after which Mourinho complained that the season is going to be hard with these players.

He then went into the season starting neither of the 2 CBs who were starting most often last season. Before Smalling or Jones even got a chance we were already in a slump conceeding goals.

And we still havent gone back to Smalling and Jones as a duo, which served us well for most of last season. Instead of going back to it Mourinho quickly went to playing CMs at CB. If anything he's stubbornly doing everything possible not to go back to what saved him last season because without the Smalling and Jones 2 man combination we wouldnt have come anywhere near 2nd.

And now we're finding that out because defiantly picking everything but that has sent us to 10th.

Kamprad

Today there’s a rumour in swedish press that United is considering a transfer of Lindelofs partner in the national team, Andreas Granqvist, in january. Granqvist currently play in the swedish second division. If this is true this club has some serious problems at the moment.

Prodigy24

Today there’s a rumour in swedish press that United is considering a transfer of Lindelofs partner in the national team, Andreas Granqvist, in january. Granqvist currently play in the swedish second division. If this is true this club has some serious problems at the moment.
Just read that too and almost fell off my chair. Has to be utter bs though, can't see it happening at all.

IMakeThingsUp

Just read that too and almost fell off my chair. Has to be utter bs though, can't see it happening at all.
Ha! Granqvist is actually pretty good. Immensely much better than Lindelöf and ticks all the boxes. Tall, strong, pretty decent with his feet, experience. A bit slow though.

Ekeke

Granqvist would be inexpensive and alongside Smalling instantly we'd have a solid defense. We could look for a big money signing in the summer after getting back on track

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Granqvist would be inexpensive and alongside Smalling instantly we'd have a solid defense. We could look for a big money signing in the summer after getting back on track
Is he any better than what we have ? We are probably making the same mistake that happened with Lindeloff.

Ekeke

Is he any better than what we have ? We are probably making the same mistake that happened with Lindeloff.
He was one of the best CBs in the world cup. He's old, thats the issue. If he was 24-25 and playing like he does he'd be fine. But since hes older hed be a short term option.

Yes he can actually defend well so he's better than any of our CBs other than Smalling

Kostov

He was one of the best CBs in the world cup. He's old, thats the issue. If he was 24-25 and playing like he does he'd be fine. But since hes older hed be a short term option.

Yes he can actually defend well so he's better than any of our CBs other than Smalling
Hold on a minute, it's fecking Granqvist, not Rio Ferdinand we are talking here. He is as average as it gets, couple of solid games at the WC doesn't make him better than he really is. He played for Krasnodard and Genoa for a reason.

Ekeke

Hold on a minute, it's fecking Granqvist, not Rio Ferdinand we are talking here. He is as average as it gets, couple of solid games at the WC doesn't make him better than he really is. He played for Krasnodard and Genoa for a reason.
He made Lindelof look competent and gave Sweden a good defensive record

Prodigy24

Ha! Granqvist is actually pretty good. Immensely much better than Lindelöf and ticks all the boxes. Tall, strong, pretty decent with his feet, experience. A bit slow though.
He's not bad, and he had a great World Cup next to Lindelöf. But still, he's old and slow. If we're looking for players from Superettan to improve our defence then we are in big trouble.

tomaldinho1

Thank you for a dose of reality. Signing players who look 'good' at a WC is suicide, especially when you know deep down they are average players. There is no way on earth we should even be discussing Granqvist as an option for us.

Kostov

He made Lindelof look competent and gave Sweden a good defensive record
Looking half decent against South Korea, Mexico and Switzerland during an international tournament means very little compared to actual club football, played week in week out. As you said even Linedelof looked decent, and we know how out of depth he has been in England. Look at the clubs he has played during his career, Wigan and Genoa are the highlight of his career, and you are telling me this guy is better than Bailly, Jones and even Rojo, who for all their flaws are much more proven on a higher level?

Kamprad

The upside is that he and Lindelof is a stable pair already. Their confidence together is good. Good in the air. Strong physically. Strong mentally. But thats not enough.
Downsides are far too many for this club. He’s got some serious lack of pace. The same with agility/flexibility. Opponents would run past him like a cone in training. Imagine him playing against this Liverpool side.... He has never played for a club of this size and he just isnt good enough and has never been good enough. Its a totally different story playing for United vs playing in Swedens national team. But a very likeble guy and a strong leader.

Ekeke

Looking half decent against South Korea, Mexico and Switzerland during an international tournament means very little compared to actual club football, played week in week out. As you said even Linedelof looked decent, and we know how out of depth he has been in England. Look at the clubs he has played during his career, Wigan and Genoa are the highlight of his career, and you are telling me this guy is better than Bailly, Jones and even Rojo, who for all their flaws are much more proven on a higher level?
Because he hasnt had Granqvist here holding his hand. Even Rojo? He's the worst of the 3. No CB in the league was dribbled past more than he was last season.

A-man

He his better than any defender in United imo, but age is catching up and becoming slower. The reason for playing in Krasnodar was an annual 3-3.5 million euro after tax.

A-man

As you've replied to me really. The CB area behind them is suspect. Attacking is not coherent or controlled, so getting forward is hard for the MF players, attacking moves just break down to leave them out of position all the time.

Some good players in there now though, like you say.
Thanks for the clarification and I agree with you.

IMakeThingsUp

He his better than any defender in United imo, but age is catching up and becoming slower. The reason for playing in Krasnodar was an annual 3-3.5 million euro after tax.
Excluding cash handouts when they did well... or so ive heard.

Kostov

Based on his glorious career path from Wigan to Krasnodar? What the feck guys, it’s a fecking nobody and he is 33. Our lot is bad but let’s be reasonable.

Kostov

Because he hasnt had Granqvist here holding his hand. Even Rojo? He's the worst of the 3. No CB in the league was dribbled past more than he was last season.
Who’s going to babysit both of them when they face the absolute shock of actual club football? Smalling again?

And mentioning Rojo and stats in the PL, while Granqvist is playing where exactly?

Ekeke

Who’s going to babysit both of them when they face the absolute shock of actual club football? Smalling again?

And mentioning Rojo and stats in the PL, while Granqvist is playing where exactly?
As one of the best CBs at the world cup. Which Rojo wasnt.

A-man

Based on his glorious career path from Wigan to Krasnodar? What the feck guys, it’s a fecking nobody and he is 33. Our lot is bad but let’s be reasonable.
Based on what I have seen, naturally.

And it’s a bit narrow-minded and ignorant to call him a “fecking nobody”.

Last edited:

Kostov

As one of the best CBs at the world cup. Which Rojo wasnt.
Luckily we know better than judging a player based on 6 games during an international tournament.

Vlaar was one of the best CB during the previous WC, finishing 3rd, much better than the Swede, yet we know how that ended.

Ekeke

Luckily we know better than judging a player based on 6 games during an international tournament.

Vlaar was one of the best CB during the previous WC, finishing 3rd, much better than the Swede, yet we know how that ended.
How do you think they qualified?

Kostov

Based on what I have seen, naturally.

And it’s a bit narrow-minded and ignorant to call him a “fecking nobody”.
Based on what you have seen, a 33 year old Granqvist who has spent his career in relegation candidates and midtable Russian team, is good enough for Manchester United? Ok then.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Thank you for a dose of reality. Signing players who look 'good' at a WC is suicide, especially when you know deep down they are average players. There is no way on earth we should even be discussing Granqvist as an option for us.
But, building your team around a guy who had two good games at a WC is perfectly sound and bullet proof for some

As for this guy, not arsed

IMakeThingsUp

To summarize Granqvist:

Is he world Class? No.

Would he be as good or better than our current CBs? Yes, he would probably not make a fool of himself.

Is he worth signing long term? No.

Is he worth signing short term? Probably not as he would be available first until January and he is not a big upgrade.

Still miles better than Lindelof though.

A-man

Based on what you have seen, a 33 year old Granqvist who has spent his career in relegation candidates and midtable Russian team, is good enough for Manchester United? Ok then.
Tbh I’m not sure why you are so impressed by the defence of a mid table PL team, with 12 conceded goals in 7 matches, only two teams conceded more.
If he is good enough for United? That’s up to anybody to decide, but imo he is better than all current CB at United. If he is worth bringing in? Just like Zlatan, he is not the future but he has the attitude and leadership skills that all in United’s defence, incl DDG, lack. If he, as a new player in the team, can utilise that, it is worth to bring him in short term.

Kostov

Tbh I’m not sure why you are so impressed by the defence of a mid table PL team, with 12 conceded goals in 7 matches, only two teams conceded more.
If he is good enough for United? That’s up to anybody to decide, but imo he is better than all current CB at United. If he is worth bringing in? Just like Zlatan, he is not the future but he has the attitude and leadership skills that all in United’s defence, incl DDG, lack. If he, as a new player in the team, can utilise that, it is worth to bring him in short term.
What makes you think this Granqvist guy who has done nothing of note at top level football would look any better in this chaotic atmosphere we have at the back? Did your extended observations of his performances in the Russian league make you think he can adapt to the most intense league at the age of 33?

And putting the name of Zlatan alongside Granqvist is laughable. Zlatan was a world class player for over a decade, Granqvist peak was playing for Genoa.

montpelier

Yeah, Granqvist was the leader & organiser of the Sweden defence at World Cup isn't it?

That's the Sweden defence that had Lindelof in it.

You can only despair at who scouted that one, really.

A-man

What makes you think this Granqvist guy who has done nothing of note at top level football would look any better in this chaotic atmosphere we have at the back? Did your extended observations of his performances in the Russian league make you think he can adapt to the most intense league at the age of 33?

And putting the name of Zlatan alongside Granqvist is laughable. Zlatan was a world class player for over a decade, Granqvist peak was playing for Genoa.
The idea is of course that he could bring order in the chaos. That would be his purpose. Individually there are decent players in a United but as a team it is dysfunctional.

I think the Zlatan and Granqvist comparison went too far over your head to even be possible to explain.

Kostov

The idea is of course that he could bring order in the chaos. That would be his purpose. Individually there are decent players in a United but as a team it is dysfunctional.

I think the Zlatan and Granqvist comparison went too far over your head to even be possible to explain.
The idea of bringing Andreas Granqvist so he could bring order in the chaos is fecking laughable. To be a leader in your national team surrounded by average players might be one thing, but bringing him to sort out players who have won more in 2 years than he has done in his entire career is laughable to say the least.

Zlatan despite being a leader was a world class player and proven winner in every top European league. What has that in common with Granqvist, feel free to elaborate.

A-man

The idea of bringing Andreas Granqvist so he could bring order in the chaos is fecking laughable. To be a leader in your national team surrounded by average players might be one thing, but bringing him to sort out players who have won more in 2 years than he has done in his entire career is laughable to say the least.

Zlatan despite being a leader was a world class player and proven winner in every top European league. What has that in common with Granqvist, feel free to elaborate.
No point to talk about him or Swedish defence in that degrading manner, when in fact United have conceded 12 goals against relatively poor teams in 7 matches. Maybe the worst defence in the PL atm.

I leave this discussion with you as I have seen in this and other threads that you lack basic knowledge about football and I don’t see any point at all to continue. I am happy for you that you are satisfied with United’s defence and that you are thrilled with the last 2 years victories. I wish you a good day.

Sylar

So far, hes been a flop. I havent seen anything to say 'yeah, hes got potential, he will grow with x y or z'.
Eg Bailly, if he stays injury free, matures and has a run in the team could be a mainstay for years. (about the same age)

I was expecting at least his passing to be top notch, where he could take the ball, walk out of the defence under pressure and start an attack when needed. In a United shirt, I havent seen it. He doesnt even look like a 'Jose' type signing for CB that weve seen him normally go for.

Status
Not open for further replies.