Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eugenius

I have been as critical as anyone, but he was fine today. Rudiger was Pogba's man all game, hard to blame Lindelof if he scores.

A-man

For supposedly a ball playing defender, he sure loves a back pass to De Gea. Needs to look up and take initiative sometimes instead of pushing it to your goalkeeper
Especially since it most of the time ends up with DDG wasting the ball to the opponents with a poor long kick. Better Lindelof takes more chances. He has better precision. Maybe they are told by Mourinho to not lose the ball?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Not true. Pogba gets screened by Luiz and wants to switch his man with Victor. Communication is not good enough and in these types of sits it takes half a second for a team to get fecked. Well played by Chelsea and both Pogba and Victor should talk this over a couple of times. Maybe just not on the field nxt time...
Not true.
You don´t switch man. It is basically impossible.

You ensure that you don´t get in a situation where you get blocked. You do that by being closer to your man, more aggressive and competetive in your own box.

A-man

He's just shit, isn't he.
Nowhere near the standard we need. Name one top club in Europe he would start for?
Well now he’s not really playing in a top club but in a club around 10th position in its national league. Not many, if any, in United would start for a European top club. Maybe DDG in one or two of the top clubs and maybe Pogba in one or two, but not more than that.

JK-27

He's rubbish, simple as. Switched off at the second goal. As the ball pinged back off the post from Luiz's header, Lindelof is right on Barkley but he literally stands still watching the ball, whereas Barkley reacted. Watch the replay. It is unforgivable for a defender to be standing still ball watching in their own box.

Devil may care

That has to come from within. Honestly, different level of player entirely, but Madrid were able to attain great success pairing Ramos and Pepe, 2 utterly headstrong characters.
That's true, two rash CB's together but it worked, I just think he's still young for a CB ad if partnered with a calm head it could aid him in settling down and maturing.

Johan07

You don´t switch man. It is basically impossible.

You ensure that you don´t get in a situation where you get blocked. You do that by being closer to your man, more aggressive and competetive in your own box.
I agree that Pogba should have done better. Never said otherwise. But so should Victor, who almost helps Luiz with what is essentially a "pick and roll" in basketball without the ball.
Try to be aggressive and follow your man with Luiz palm and hair suddenly in your face. Its not so easy, and Victor needs to be aware of the situation even if its just a "hey" from Pogba. This takes two tenths of a second max, and there is no time for "conversations" here.
Its funny though, people get on Smallings ass when he grabs players in the area. Which he does a lot. But he does not lose his player like this. Ever. Because its a doghouse in the PL in the penalty area. So Pogba needs to do better. Victor too. Its a team effort this.
And so should Lukaku (do better), who is supposed (it seems) to be the free man and is supposed to attack the ball. Rashford is out of position too, Its not so easy as just to blame Pogba for this, which was my original point.
EDIT
Sorry, I thus disagree that its basically impossible to switch markings at a corner. I argue that it is the opposite for a well drilled team. This is going to happen (screens) in the PL. You need to be able to cope with it. Communication is everything.

Ekeke

He's rubbish, simple as. Switched off at the second goal. As the ball pinged back off the post from Luiz's header, Lindelof is right on Barkley but he literally stands still watching the ball, whereas Barkley reacted. Watch the replay. It is unforgivable for a defender to be standing still ball watching in their own box.
Its not just him though and its not just a defender's responsibility to be defending a set piece long ball at the end of the game like that. We have like 5 players in the box with 4 Chelsea ones. Smalling goes for the ball, the other 4 should be alive enough to deal with the rest. But only Lindelof is in a position to defend if what happens happens. Everyone else is too far forward and not moving towards the ball. He doesn't do well, no. But if Lindelof managed to block a shot there and stop us conceding it'd have been a hero play. As he's the only one in a decent defensive position to compete for it. He doesnt do it.

roseguy64

Not true. Pogba gets screened by Luiz and wants to switch his man with Victor. Communication is not good enough and in these types of sits it takes half a second for a team to get fecked. Well played by Chelsea and both Pogba and Victor should talk this over a couple of times. Maybe just not on the field nxt time...
Not true.
You're talking about the first goal not the second.

Aloysius's Back 3

He just never has composure even when he doesn't make a mistake.

For example we could be under team pressure for ten mins- only for the ball to end up with Lindelof & he ends up slicing it up the pitch to a complete random outcome. Then the pressure starts again.

It's why I miss my boy Blind - felt like he played with a cigar on one hand.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I don’t get that he played well yesterday. Weak on the first goal and he looks like he needs babysitting. I don’t see that he’s very good on the ball either. How the hell was he scouted for months and all the defects in his game weren’t noticed?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I don’t get that he played well yesterday. Weak on the first goal and he looks like he needs babysitting. I don’t see that he’s very good on the ball either. How the hell was he scouted for months and all the defects in his game weren’t noticed?
I don't get it as well. He wasn't good enough today imo, he's been passenger ever since he joined us, Smalling did everything for him and today is the same thing. 1st half was awful, 2nd half was better than 1st half but does't justify enough to be called decent or okay performance. He's nowhere near to called "ball playing", his passing ability is nothing special even today as well just play to de gea or sideways most of the times, he's not comfortable with the ball and get panic easily and today proves it once again.

Although I like the moment when he stopped Giroud once, that was good unlike the Brighton game that he was just ball watching not following his man. But one good moment and couple of free header/unchallenged clearance isn't going to be enough to convince me.

I'm not trying to be critical or scapegoating him, but if some of our fans think he played well then I need to post this.

meamth

played really well particularly driving the ball forward and his safe passing play.

But he was so out of breath and lacking focus on the 2nd goal. Understandable because of the final whistle looming, but Vidic would have destroyed Luiz for that header.

Overall, encouraging stuff and I certainly still have patience in him.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Watched the game again and I have to say he was shaky at times but he showed glimpses of being a proficient ball playing defender especially when we went through that surge of confidence during the second half. Well done.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He just never has composure even when he doesn't make a mistake.

For example we could be under team pressure for ten mins- only for the ball to end up with Lindelof & he ends up slicing it up the pitch to a complete random outcome. Then the pressure starts again.

It's why I miss my boy Blind - felt like he played with a cigar on one hand.
And he moved like he'd smoked a few too many before the game too.

Seriously, give it up. The majority will always see Blind as a nothing player here and I can't see him ever doing anything to convince people otherwise within the remainder of his career. Also he's overrated as a ball playing CB. There are actual CBs around that are better defensively, better physically and better at passing. These are the players we need, not Daley Blind.

A-man

I can’t remember a single time he did that even though Chelsea put pressure sometimes. I honstely think he should take many more chances with long balls instead of passing Smalling or DDG who both will end up slicing the ball to a “complete random outcome” if they are under the slightest pressure.

Litch

Some fans eh? Even when he plays well, he still gets lambasted. Whilst there might be CB's that are better out there, we are losing games because of the defence.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
And he moved like he'd smoked a few too many before the game too.

Seriously, give it up. The majority will always see Blind as a nothing player here and I can't see him ever doing anything to convince people otherwise within the remainder of his career. Also he's overrated as a ball playing CB. There are actual CBs around that are better defensively, better physically and better at passing. These are the players we need, not Daley Blind.
Say what you want about Blind but that last section is absolute nonsense. You won't see another centreback get the forwards in behind defenses as often as he did.

As for Lindelof, I thought he played quite well yesterday. There's a lot of confirmation bias when it comes to players we don't like. Nuts people are trying to blame him for the first goal. He needs upgrading but he's not nearly as bad as many make out.

Litch

Say what you want about Blind but that last section is absolute nonsense. You won't see another centreback get the forwards in behind defenses as often as he did.

As for Lindelof, I thought he played quite well yesterday. There's a lot of confirmation bias when it comes to players we don't like. Nuts people are trying to blame him for the first goal. He needs upgrading but he's not nearly as bad as many make out.
Confirmation basis...I like that.

izec

Decent as usual when he isnt shit. We are waiting for the MOTM performance that will never happen. Iceman is also a funny nickname, he is anything but cool. He is a nervous wreck. If we had 2 Lindelöfs as Cbs, we would concede with every second ball getting thrown into the penalty box. It is like he played as a striker all his life and we try to convert him to a CB. Or maybe he isnt used to defend and lets his partner do most of the dirty work, while he steps up when the ball flies into his legs. Calling him a defender is disrespectful to all the great ones we had at the club.

Iceman ? more like the Ghostman,because everything goes fecking through him.

We've made some pointless signings over the years but he's right up there.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Thought he played well yesterday

Mcking

He and Smalling are the main problem and you can probably add matic into that too. Our defenders are simply not technically skilled enough to play for a team with ambitions of winning major competitions. We cannot build from the back as they simply pass it back to DDG who hoofs it up the pitch. There is an area of the pitch which we never venture into, just in front of our centre backs. As soon as an opposing player even looks like they are going to close them, they quickly pass it backwards.

It’s glaringly obvious that this is the big issue.

Lindelof had an ok game today, I mean he played Alonso (I think) in the first half onside where with a better touch he would have been 1 v 1 and was at least at partial fault for the lack of communication with Pogba for their first goal and was nowhere near the man he was marking who scored the second but by his standard he had an ok game.
Yea, I think Bailly passes superbly between the lines. Is absolutely calm and never seems to pass back, give away possession nor hoof it.
He's rarely ever at the wrong place and is so great at set pieces. Our best defender.

Bobski

Excellent last 70 mins from him, assertive for a change, defended with hunger.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Best performance he's ever had for us tonight.

Ekeke

Had a very weak first 15-20 mins of the game where Juventus players kept running in behind him. Also caught out in no man's land on the Juventus goal. However, he also had several good tackles and tracking runs back after that first 20 mins. Overall he was okay and had a good second half

Raw

Really poor on his part for the Juve goal but the rest of the game he was fantastic. I do see some promise in him, hopefully a better manager can realise it.

Kag

I feel bad (not really) for having to caveat this by saying I still think he’s shite but that was genuinely a great second half. Looked like a proper defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.