Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

LJJT

Absolutely brilliant tonight, showed what he’s capable of. If he can make that sort of performance his typical standard then we can maybe waste some money else where on other positions on the pitch

Litch

The near post was completely open for their goal tonight and that was his side. Simple as.

He defended very well one on one through the game and was our best defender. But his positioning should've been better for the first goal.

None of what I said is wrong.
Maybe not but sometimes don't always have to say it in the context of his performance. Someone always has to piss on someone's parade.....

Trollholken

Promising performance from Victor today. Showed more assertiveness in his one-on-one defensive, which has been a weak spot of his often times.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Maybe not but sometimes don't always have to say it in the context of his performance. Someone always has to piss on someone's parade.....
Nah I get that. But if I bring this up after a bad performance people say it's kneejerk.

My observation is based off all his time here and the bit I watched at Benfica of him.

There's no way Bonucci or Chiellini concede that goal tonight. They headed everything that went in their box and that's because their positioning was almost perfect everytime and they reacted to danger extremely well. That is something Lindelof does not do.

A-man

Great game tonight m especially considering he was facing Dybala and Ronaldo. I think he is better against team who play more technical football on the ground instead of the PL football with a lot of balls in the air.

sp_107

Great game tonight m especially considering he was facing Dybala and Ronaldo. I think he is better against team who play more technical football on the ground instead of the PL football with a lot of balls in the air.
True.. he is like Veron

Meep

Maybe not but sometimes don't always have to say it in the context of his performance. Someone always has
Nah I get that. But if I bring this up after a bad performance people say it's kneejerk.

My observation is based off all his time here and the bit I watched at Benfica of him.

There's no way Bonucci or Chiellini concede that goal tonight. They headed everything that went in their box and that's because their positioning was almost perfect everytime and they reacted to danger extremely well. That is something Lindelof does not do.
Well actually they have midfielders doing a far better job than ours. Following forwards that retreat to lose their markers. Something Matic (and Pogba) forget to do all the time.

Litch

I know but it's unfair to compare him with those two. Like I said I get what your saying but in the context of the game and his time here, was good to see finally a performance in him.

sammyhol

I'm tending to agree with this tbh. He had a really good game tonight, but everything still looked like a last gasp block or an uncoordinated tackle. He worked his arse off but looked like an average player playing out of his skin rather than a top player cruising. Basically, the complete opposite of top defenders at their best such as Ferdinand, Ramos, Chiellini etc.

Devil may care

His performance was the only positive for us in that game, easily his best outing in a United shirt.

Bubz27

Well actually they have midfielders doing a far better job than ours. Following forwards that retreat to lose their markers. Something Matic (and Pogba) forget to do all the time.
They do, but they didn't need to because they cleared everything that came in their box.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He's a really good defender when the balls on the floor, probably needs to adapt to the aerial side, but based on this - he could definitely make it here.

Bubz27

I know but it's unfair to compare him with those two. Like I said I get what your saying but in the context of the game and his time here, was good to see finally a performance in him.
Yeah, hopefully he builds on it and keeps going.

buckooo1978

great tonight

read the game well and sensed danger

was pleased to see his bravery too battling Bonucci and taking a kick in the head for his trouble

A-man

I'm tending to agree with this tbh. He had a really good game tonight, but everything still looked like a last gasp block or an uncoordinated tackle. He worked his arse off but looked like an average player playing out of his skin rather than a top player cruising. Basically, the complete opposite of top defenders at their best such as Ferdinand, Ramos, Chiellini etc.
You mean it’s not enough to have a good game against one of the best teams I the world, you also need to do it with some grace? :nervous:

Trizy

Credit where it's due, he was a monster tonight.

1 good game in 40 doesn't make you a good defender though. Hopefully he can push on from here.

sammyhol

You mean it’s not enough to have a good game against one of the best teams I the world, you also need to do it with some grace? :nervous:
Fair play to the lad. Had a great game. MOTM for me without a doubt. But for me it just had the whiff of an average player having a great game rather than a top quality, techinically capable player playing at his natural level.

Think of the dozens of times our top attacks were shut out by a masterclass by a pretty average mid-table centre half having the game of his life. We are never clambering to sign these players when it happens. It happens all the time.

I don't want to take anything away from his performance, but I think it just speaks absolute volumes of how far we have fallen that the one glimmer of hope after a game like this is a battling performance of a centre half who to me isn't of the quality necessary to compete consistently at this level.

Reactions: Niall

Ekeke

They take over in those situations.

The midfielder passes the player onto the CB who is otherwise doing nothing else. Its different if hes already tracking someone else's run, then the midfielder needs to stay with the player. But when the CB is standing in the area where the oncoming player is running, its now his responsibility because he's goalside and can affect the player a lot more, than someone running back from midfield who isnt goalside.

It is and always was Lindelof's responsibility. And eventually later in the game he did well in those situations.

Stubble

Its totally unfair to compare a young developing defender to these 2 seasoned pros. Central defenders are often at their best in their early and even mid 30's Lindelof is still learning his trade and did an excellent job tonight. Same with Bailly - young central defenders will make mistakes (especially positional ones) , period !
People are wrong to write these guys off, i think they will both go on to be excellent defenders. An Alderwerield etc would certainly be a safer short term option but these guys need to be part of the setup.

Bubz27

Its totally unfair to compare a young developing defender to these 2 seasoned pros. Central defenders are often at their best in their early and even mid 30's Lindelof is still learning his trade and did an excellent job tonight. Same with Bailly - young central defenders will make mistakes (especially positional ones) , period !
People are wrong to write these guys off, i think they will both go on to be excellent defenders. An Alderwerield etc would certainly be a safer short term option but these guys need to be part of the setup.
No I totally get that. But this trait of doing things with panic isn't a great one. The best, even when they were developing, have a sense of authority and calmness.

I really hope Victor proves me wrong, but I don't see him as a top, top option going forward.

Silas

Snuffed out danger well today against a top attack, I thought.

predator

Youth NITK
Yes he'll definitely fair better against continental sides than premier league sides because he reads the game well and his time in Portugal as a youngster was a big factor in this. Sadly because we are so shite all round we won't see him against said teams much longer, instead fighting for a mid mid table spot in the league.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He was scouted and rated highly for his above average ability at reading the game when the ball is on the ground - which is why he did so well tonight and against Chelsea. He still struggles with the unpredictable nature of the ball in the air which is against most premier league teams.

Mick321

Played very well, his best performance for us, was encouraging. He'll probably get dropped now.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I didn't really expect him to deal with all the situations in the second half. Usually all those situations would have led to a goal. That is a leap from earlier performances, especially considering the quality of those going at him. I mean, he should be doing this every game, because it isn't such a big deal to put in a performance like that. It will rightly be hugely overstated, because we are desperate for him to work out and he might use this game to build himself some consistency and confidence. He has previously been fecking up in the exact same situations he found himself in today, but he was a man and shut his side down, no thanks to Shaw.

Ekeke

Yes he'll definitely fair better against continental sides than premier league sides because he reads the game well and his time in Portugal as a youngster was a big factor in this. Sadly because we are so shite all round we won't see him against said teams much longer, instead fighting for a mid mid table spot in the league.
He didnt read the game well in the first 20 mins when Juventus players ran in behind him 3 times, or on the goal where he positioned himself in the worst position possible.

He grew into the game though. But reading the game is not his strength. Its also been evident from all the goals this season where an opponent had made a run and got to the ball before he could cut it out.

Ekeke

He was scouted and rated highly for his above average ability at reading the game when the ball is on the ground - which is why he did so well tonight and against Chelsea. He still struggles with the unpredictable nature of the ball in the air which is against most premier league teams.
Can you print up the rest of the scouting report?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He started wobbly, he and Matic seem to get muddled up with eachother's runners all the time.

Once Matic got out his way and he had a clear marker to deal with he did really well, thought the last 30 minutes he was fantastic.

Funnily enough he plays much better with a higher line, seems our whole team does..

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I thought he was probably our best player bar DDG tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.