Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

crossy1686

career ending
He's the one who isnt alert and moving. Ander is taking care of the outside of the box and gets physical with the player to impede his run on the first ball. After that he's not with the player, he's taking care of the outside of the box.

Our CBs set up to the right of the rest of our players in the box, in a line, they werent marking anyone. Lindelof especially was there on his own with Jones slightly closer to the player who beats Pogba to the first header. Lindelof and Jones are marking space not players and those are our CBs.

Looking at it again its another ball thats dropping inside De Gea's 6 yard box. There are definitely keepers who would have come out to put pressure on the player or tried to claim it
I think you're being incredibly critical on people who had marginal parts in conceding the goal. It would have simply been dealt with if Pogba would have won the arial battle or Herrera would have continued tracking the player he half followed into the box. In their position, I would have left it too, thinking he had the situation under control.

Ekeke

Yeah, but Herrera is on the opposite side of his agenda so you can imagine how difficult this must be for him.
Sure I'll agree when you guys invent the player Lindelof was marking. Unless your answer is God, there was nobody. He was marking the space

Ekeke

I think you're being incredibly critical on people who had marginal parts in conceding the goal. It would have simply been dealt with if Pogba would have won the arial battle or Herrera would have continued tracking the player he half followed into the box. In their position, I would have left it too, thinking he had the situation under control.
Why are you assuming thats what Ander was told to do? Ander came on for Fred, took over his responsibilities.

Can you find me some examples of Fred marking the players making runs for headed balls on other set pieces we defended? Doesnt sound likely to me.

Edit - Btw it was Zanko, a guy 6'2. And I'm supposed to believe Fred would have been marking him on a set piece? He's 5'5... (thought it was Mounie before, but thats who won the header against Pogba)

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
Why are you assuming thats what Ander was told to do? Ander came on for Fred, took over his responsibilities.

Can you find me some examples of Fred marking the players making runs for headed balls on other set pieces we defended? Doesnt sound likely to me.

Btw it was Steve Mounie, a guy 6'2. And I'm supposed to believe Fred would have been marking him on a set piece? He's 5'5...
Yeah, feck it then. Sell Lindelöf, he's shit anyway, can't even zonal mark like some relic CB from the 1980's. Let's just ignore everything else that was going on around him because we're not going to assume anything but instead go with against the grain opinions so we sound more informed and observant than we actually are.

Ekeke

Yeah, feck it then. Sell Lindelöf, he's shit anyway, can't even zonal mark like some relic CB from the 1980's. Let's just ignore everything else that was going on around him because we're not going to assume anything but instead go with against the grain opinions so we sound more informed and observant than we actually are.
Who said any of that? Yesterday I said Smalling & Lindelof had conceded our least amount of goals, despite being used in the most of our big matches (compared to Jones, Rojo and Bailly) and should be our starting CBs in the best CB pairing thread.

Doesnt mean I wont make a note of when he makes a mistake.

meninred

As one mentioned it maybe time to try him as defensive midfielder as we dont have a trully good one.

Fracture90

Been giving him a lot of stick since he came here, but those few games at the start of the season where he was shaky aside, he has really stepped up.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Yeah it looked like we were zonal marking with the two center backs infront of goal and he was late reacting to the second ball for their goal, otherwise a good proactive performance.

Those are the kinds of mistakes that have been haunting us all season so hopefully we get them cleaned up soon.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Jones was to his left, thats not his area. He starts off with the player that jumped against Pogba, Pogba moves in and leaps with him so Jones backs off back into his space.

Lindelof ball watches instead of being alert and moving.

So yes you'd be 100% completely correct, if Jones was standing where Lindelof was and vice versa. But actually Lindelof was marking the space where the goal came from. Could have been helped by his goalkeeper. He wasnt
But the ball does not really drop into «his» zone. It drops close to it. And he does get close. But do to the nature of the situation he is not able to get there quickly enough. It would be incredible defending if he did. He has his back to his own goal when Huddersfield cross the ball (naturally). Zanka has the advantage of facing the goal, and being able to move in between the lines at full speed. In these type of situations you rely on the people man-marking.

He also needs to read the situation to get an understanding about where Mouiner will head the ball. I’m not sure one should label it «ball watching. Its not on a Chris Smalling level of ball watching anyway.

He actually look towards Zanka before turning towards Mounier, but at this point he will note that Herrera is tracking him. When Mounier heads the ball Lindelof immediatly moves towards the zone where Zanka arrives, but has a disadvantage compared to Zanka who is facing the goal and at speed. This is exactly why you should not stop tracking «your» man moving in between the lines at speed.

Pogba could have done more and Herrera should have done more, but that goal is really not at Lindelof. You just look like you have a biased, unjust agenda when claiming that it was.

Last edited:

OldPop

Lindelof made an excellent effort again and to claim that the goal that was released where his fault is simply ridiculous. Bad luck for us and well done by Huddersfield, it wasn't more complicated than that.

And it's fun to see when he is running forward, it will definitely pay off sooner or later but still the teammates seem a little shocked when he does.

Is pretty sure Ole wants him to develop it more because it gives a new opportunity to attack and create disorder for the opponents. In any case, when we meet teams in the bottom half of the table

Kostov

He has improved since the early days, and i’m very pleased with that, but you can always count on him losing a header.

Also on today’s goal I feel he could have done better, Herrera too.

Foxbatt

When you are marking an opposing player you stick with him no matter what. If Herrera had done it they would not have scored. This was the second time Herrera did it in this match.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Not convinced by his overall defending and defensive abilities. He is easily dominated by physical players, which opens us up and we need more men to come back to help out defending quite often. Can't fault his effort in dealing with this though, so maybe with some time he'll make improvements on how to deal with those situations more effectively in his own way. A bit more pace could help him but he lacks that as well. Which also makes him a bit unreliable when we want him to cover for his RB bombing forward. I've seen Dalot get some criticism for his defending this game but half of that could have been avoided ealier if Lindelof were a bit more proactive with helping out further up.

The thing I really like about him is that he seems to be mates with a lot of the guys, and that helps in him being a part of the team even if he isn't at the top level. Easier to come in and do a job when that is the case. What he has showed is that he at least can be a squad player and a great option against teams who'll sit back all game.

Ekeke

When you are marking an opposing player you stick with him no matter what. If Herrera had done it they would not have scored. This was the second time Herrera did it in this match.
He isnt. Unless you believe 5'5 Fred was asked to man mark a 6'2 CB.

simmee

He isnt. Unless you believe 5'5 Fred was asked to man mark a 6'2 CB.
:lol: It's not FIFA, the instructions can change depending on the player. Or do you think Fellaini would have the same instructions as Fred if he had replaced him?

Ekeke

:lol: It's not FIFA, the instructions can change depending on the player. Or do you think Fellaini would have the same instructions as Fred if he had replaced him?
Yes. He would take over his responsibilities, thats what players are told on the touchline who to pick up etc.

simmee

Yes. He would take over his responsibilities, thats what players are told on the touchline who to pick up etc.
So if Fellaini replaced Lingard he would stay at the halfway line for a defensive corner?

Ekeke

So if Fellaini replaced Lingard he would stay at the halfway line for a defensive corner?
No, he'd be a free man like normal. Marking the space like Lindelof

He wouldnt be given someone to mark from a freekick that the player he was replacing wasnt marking. Otherwise not only would he be marking a new player, but he'd have to go and tell another player to mark someone else from a freekick.

el3mel

He has been great ever since this Juve match and really looks like we'll get the money paid for him worth it. He's the constant in our defense now and we should check for his partner.

L1nk

Whilst i don't think he's doing anything spectacular, he just looks more solid now, it looks like how he should of been playing from the very beginning, before it all looked shaky, now he looks transformed in this sense.

No, he'd be a free man like normal. Marking the space like Lindelof

He wouldnt be given someone to mark from a freekick that the player he was replacing wasnt marking. Otherwise not only would he be marking a new player, but he'd have to go and tell another player to mark someone else from a freekick.
Players often come on with instructions for others. Of course they can all change who they're marking mid game.

Andersons Dietician

Starting to look more like the player that was at Benfica, hopefully he continues to improve but it’s great having our defence just pushed up now, it makes such a difference to us and how quickly we win the ball back and how quickly we can attack.

Red_toad

Whilst i don't think he's doing anything spectacular, he just looks more solid now, it looks like how he should of been playing from the very beginning, before it all looked shaky, now he looks transformed in this sense.
He's getting a lot of time on the ball now, as he isn't being pressed as much. Ole's system suits him very well. We'll have to see how he goes against better opposition in the current set up. I'd say we're a tad too open for when we're not playing relegation fodder and our defenders will certainly have to earn their wages when there's a step up in class.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He lost out on several crosses. Not the best today.
Yeah, it's clear that we will need a commanding central defensive purchase if Linda is going to be a consistent starter. I think you can see he's starting to adapt quite well now - doesn't get bullied anymore and he's really good on the ball. Yes, he's not very good in the air, but we can give him a partner who is.

Kamprad

Yeah, it's clear that we will need a commanding central defensive purchase if Linda is going to be a consistent starter. I think you can see he's starting to adapt quite well now - doesn't get bullied anymore and he's really good on the ball. Yes, he's not very good in the air, but we can give him a partner who is.
He can still improve his heading ability. I think his ”assist” on the first goal yesterday will do good for his confidence in the air. I’ve criticized him many times but these last two games he has been promising I have to say. And Ole seem to like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.