Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthPredators4

You're right, you clearly don't have a clue what you are talking about, so I don't see the point in debating further. Comparing Tuanzebe to a 3 x Portugese league winning full Swedish international, Tuanzebe who is out on loan and only has 5 appearences for us, bearing in mind he's only 3 years younger, but yeah he's just a good, hilarious.
His trophies mean nothing when comparing or gauging a player's qualities. A CB with no pace, strength, heading is asking for trouble in the BPL, especially when playing a highline. Even Terry was absolutely murdered when AVB played it, resulting in poor results and a change of manager. He is being shielded by Mourinho's defensive tactics and will all be too apparent when he start to make mistakes, which he already did.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Clearly Ole preferred CB as he allow us to build from the back and play attacking football. His passing between the lines and his calmness when pressured has been mint.
Except of course the time he hammered the ball into his teammate Shaw when under pressure. He could have killed him

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Except of course the time he hammered the ball into his teammate Shaw when under pressure. He could have killed him
There is a pattern on this forum, few posters who defend Smalling no matter what, have a go at Lindelof (and other CBs too) for some weird reasons.

It's very obvious that Lindelof is good on the ball and in the last 3 games, everyone passed the ball really well, that doesn't mean Smalling can't and it's attack on Smalling. Right now he is injured and under Van Gaal Smalling showed he has decent passing range. So don't understand why Smalling fans gets so defensive when any CB is praised.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Ole again complimented Victor for his performance. Looks it'll be Victor plus one for our CB positions under Ole.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I really like him. Yeah he's not polished and yeah he can make mistakes, but there's a really good defender in there with heart who never gives up.

A-man

Anymore games to quote?
He has been the best CB this season. But people, like yourself, doubted his abilities against better teams. I rank Juventus as the best team United have faced in a few years and he was really good in both matches.

A-man

Top player? He was good but lets be serious. Buying him when we have Tuanzebe who is just as good, is a ridiculous decision. If you cannot see his glaring weaknesses as a CB, then i don't see the point in debating further.
How do you know Tuanzebe is just as good? He has hardly played any matches in the Premier League. I dont doubt he will come out as a good player, but so far we havent seen much of him. The pressure on this guy when he returns will be enourmous, as everybody expects him to be the next Rio.

SteveW

I quite like him for some reason. He is nice on the ball and has a positive way about him. I enjoyed his bursts forward and his passing since Ole came in.

However he fails to do either defensive role that I'd look for in an ideal partnership. He wins nothing in the air and lacks the pace to sweep up on the ground. He was to blame for pretty much all of Huddersfields best chances and goal.

I worry every time he needs to deal with height or pace. Because he just cant really do it. I see him as Blind 2.0 basically

Skills

Snitch
Been saying that everywhere - Bailly and Lindelöf should never pair together. Neither can head and both are rash or positioning is not good

One occasion today a high ball up to Wilson who was on his own against 3 defenders yet somehow Wilson emerged with the ball
Neither can Jones or Rojo (well Jones can but he's still pretty poor in the air). Smalling is the only CB at the club who is a good in the air.

SteveW

Victor is excelling in the ball playing centre back role and finally starting to look like a player who can give us a bit of what Rio used to. If we had a proper Vidic, Stam, Bruce like partner for him...
Rio's best attribute was searing pace. He could mop up just about everything on the ground while also being strong aerially. He could give attackers a run and then just burn them for pace. He was perfect cover for Vidic who could attack the first ball.

I struggle to see how Lindelof gives us what Ferdinand did.

haram

What he has shown against Juventus is a very good base in terms of defending across the ground. We need a commanding CB next to him which also allows him to play on the right.

Vic is not afraid to start attacks and play a pass. If Lindelof can become confident in being aggressive and playing on the front foot because he knows he has someone who can deal with any ball played in behind him, he'll become a very useful player in build up and winning the ball back quicker.

Mcking

Bailly has no traits to play him anywhere. You can't think about any specific partners for him because he doesn't excel at anything. He's just another Jones with being rush and headless chicken with terrible aerial duels. Not good in building up from the back either.

Lindelof has a specific trait none of our defenders have is that he's good with the ball in his feet. He needs a partner to cover for his weakness. You think about Bailly, you can't think of any specific partner to hide all his weaknesses of being rush, headless, terrible challenges and poor aerial duels.
Jones is good with the ball.

Jeffthered

Lindeholf still looks shakey to me. Nervous, and lacks that sense of authority and power required by top centre half (s).

But... I do think he can play. But he needs to step up his game because he isn't commanding a space in the team.

Hamadovich86

Hes a good defender who should be playing for a bottom half side or in Serie A somewhere. Physically hes not good enough, too slow and is prone to making silly mistakes. Unless he improves dramatically in the coming months he should be sold.

Djemba-Djemba

He's so bad in the air, by the end of the game there was a moment he didn't even bother challenging the Bournemouth striker for a high ball.

Just let him chest the ball and bring it down. Lindelof has quality on the ball but at the actual defending stuff he's still not good enough in my opinion.

Eugenius

"... Against Juventus..."

He was good at Old Trafford, but we were very lucky in Turin when most their chances came down his side - including him losing his man for their goal.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Rio's best attribute was searing pace. He could mop up just about everything on the ground while also being strong aerially. He could give attackers a run and then just burn them for pace. He was perfect cover for Vidic who could attack the first ball.

I struggle to see how Lindelof gives us what Ferdinand did.
Passing out from the back.

MAME DIOUF 32

I've posted this same point before: I don't see that he has any defensive instincts. He doesn't sense danger and I think even Gary Neville was more useful in the air on the odd occasion he played at centre back.

Lindelof is undoubtedly much improved and his calmness on the ball is welcome but I think we may already be seeing him at close to his best.

haram

"... Against Juventus..."

He was good at Old Trafford, but we were very lucky in Turin when most their chances came down his side - including him losing his man for their goal.
If you are talking about the Ronaldo goal he does that to every defender.

Lindelof has improved, I dont see why people dont want to give him a better platform to show his full potential.

Eugenius

If you are talking about the Ronaldo goal he does that to every defender.

Lindelof has improved, I dont see why people dont want to give him a better platform to show his full potential.
It happened to Lindelof because he's slow on the turn and terrible at judging the flight of the ball (further evidence as recently as yesterday) .

He's improved defensively from a complete liability to passable. As a pure defender he still has crippling deficiencies in his game which whenever he has to do any defending gets exposed. The difference is that we are now letting him show his strengths on the ball, and requiring him to do less defending under Jose. But he still has such obvious weaknesses that you can't build a defence on.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I like this kid - has had to overcome a lot of stick but is beginning to show he has some talent. His passing down the line is impressive now and he is improving all the time defensively. Aerially he loses far too many battles but down the flank on the counter he hasn’t been too shaky recently.

haram

It happened to Lindelof because he's slow on the turn and terrible at judging the flight of the ball (further evidence as recently as yesterday) .

He's improved defensively from a complete liability to passable. As a pure defender he still has crippling deficiencies in his game which whenever he has to do any defending gets exposed. The difference is that we are now letting him show his strengths on the ball, and requiring him to do less defending under Jose. But he still has such obvious weaknesses that you can't build a defence on.
No, it happened because Ronaldo has a killer instinct and only needs an inch to create a run for some space.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

This often happens when someone has a predetermined opinion of a player. They are micro analysed, game by game, and faults that exist in other, better thought of players, will be used to confirm an existing bias. That's not to say Lindelof is an incredible defender, but he certainly deserves more credit than he is getting.

Eugenius

This often happens when someone has a predetermined opinion of a player. They are micro analysed, game by game, and faults that exist in other, better thought of players, will be used to confirm an existing bias. That's not to say Lindelof is an incredible defender, but he certainly deserves more credit than he is getting.
Not at all. I have given credit to him for improving and when criticism was hyperbolic at times (e.g. the Rudiger goal vs Chelsea) I stuck up for him.

It's not micro analysis to point out yesterday he repeatedly lost his man on set pieces, barely won anything in the air, and conceded a dangerous chance by misjudging the flight of the ball. It's quite obvious flaws which are a repeated pattern in his game and fairly fundamental elements of being a CB.

Litch

I like this kid - has had to overcome a lot of stick but is beginning to show he has some talent. His passing down the line is impressive now and he is improving all the time defensively. Aerially he loses far too many battles but down the flank on the counter he hasn’t been too shaky recently.
Agree def improved. Not sure why people keep making reference to his lack of speed or strength because I'm yet to see either consistently. Forums are tough places when you start so poorly in your career here as they are unforgiving for that moment on. People will focus on what he can't do and minimise what he can do even when he's playing well.
Sad really......

Last edited:

OldPop

He's good enough to be our best CB when we play offensively, and we'll do that in the vast majority of matches, right? He's young, still learning and has developed rapidly. In addition, he seems wise, is mastered and willing to work, loyal and appreciated in the squad. Obviously, it's not enough for those who want to get their frustration here, but it seems that he is appreciated by both the coaches and teammates.

He's not perfect and he makes mistakes, it does all players, especially those who are still developing both physically and mentally. And he does, also surprisingly fast. With her wisdom and willingness to work, I'm convinced that he will only be better and better.

Although his length and perhaps the ability to jump high will always be a shortage for him, he compensates for it in other ways, and I'm also convinced that with more matches and experience of playing in PL he will do it even more. But he really needs a partner who is strong on the high balls as a complement.

Those who claim he's slow, weak and unable to develop have simply drawn too fast and wrong conclusions. Sometimes he loses to the very best attackers, but which CB does not? I do not know anyone who does not, especially in teams that are not completely superior to all their competitors, and one cannot say that MU is currently there.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Not at all. I have given credit to him for improving and when criticism was hyperbolic at times (e.g. the Rudiger goal vs Chelsea) I stuck up for him.

It's not micro analysis to point out yesterday he repeatedly lost his man on set pieces, barely won anything in the air, and conceded a dangerous chance by misjudging the flight of the ball. It's quite obvious flaws which are a repeated pattern in his game and fairly fundamental elements of being a CB.
Did you do it for all our other players? Lindelof certainly isn't alone in that, which suggests it's something beyond repeated, individual error. Even tactically astute players like Herrera have lost his man from set pieces in the last few games. Was there even a lot to win in the air beyond set play? Is he that out of line to players in a similar build to him.

Litch

Yep. Do we trust Ole's judgement on players or only when it agrees with ours? He clearly rates him and whilst he's not Rio, there's been many players that haven't been that's contributed. He also didnt come here as a 35m player in today's money to be 'the answer'.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think he's had the most touches in all three games under Ole.
No. Pogba and Shaw have by far the most.

Pogba - 111, 116, 114 touches in last 3 games.
Shaw - 85, 105, 118
Lindelof - 54, 67, 88

Herrera and Jones also had more touches when they started the game.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Victor is excelling in the ball playing centre back role and finally starting to look like a player who can give us a bit of what Rio used to. If we had a proper Vidic, Stam, Bruce like partner for him...
He's gives us nothing near what Rio did. Rio was slick on the ball, never looked rushed when he had it, handled pressing well and moved the ball upfield when needed, Victor is good on the ball, but no where near as good as Rio was.

Rio was a great defender too, while playing with Vidic made him better, he didn't need him to carry the defence. Best difference between the two was Rio made defending look easy, while Victor looks panicky and rushed.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Can't believe the praise he's getting on here. He nearly cost us 2 goals yesterday and funnily enough it was Bailly that saved his behind. Some even uttering Rio in same sentence as him on here. My word talk about delusional.

Lindelof isn't good enough if we want the title any season soon. Bailly could be if he cuts out the rash moments but Lindelof just isn't commanding enough and gets beaten far too easily. Poor signing for me.

Red_toad

Can't believe the praise he's getting on here. He nearly cost us 2 goals yesterday and funnily enough it was Bailly that saved his behind. Some even uttering Rio in same sentence as him on here. My word talk about delusional.

Lindelof isn't good enough if we want the title any season soon. Bailly could be if he cuts out the rash moments but Lindelof just isn't commanding enough and gets beaten far too easily. Poor signing for me.
It's the usual Caf build him up until he comes up against a strong fast strikers, who'll make him look shite. Useful squad member in games we'll dominate and he's not pressed too much. Still has a lot to learn and over come to become a top defender that you could build a team with. For me he's our 3 best central defender, but can still improve.

Eugenius

Did you do it for all our other players? Lindelof certainly isn't alone in that, which suggests it's something beyond repeated, individual error. Even tactically astute players like Herrera have lost his man from set pieces in the last few games. Was there even a lot to win in the air beyond set play? Is he that out of line to players in a similar build to him.
It's a core competency of being a CB. You have your CBs marking the best headers at a corner (ie Ake yesterday). If Herrera was bad at passing he'd get criticised. Same way you'd criticise Lukaku for not holding the ball up properly.

He's also not small. He's 6'2 - tall enough. Just bad at judging the ball in the air and not a good leap on him (similar reasons why Lukaku rarely wins flick ons for example).

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He has been the best CB this season. But people, like yourself, doubted his abilities against better teams. I rank Juventus as the best team United have faced in a few years and he was really good in both matches.
Debatable. During the Lindelof-Smalling combo that we've used most of this season, Lindelof was only better for a period of three matches (Juventus, Everton and Bournemouth). Smalling was better the rest of the time. Actually there may have been another match more recently that Lindelof shaded him, but can't remember the exact match. He did do fairly well against Cardiff and Huddersfield in these last few matches too. Obviously he's been one of our best two though, which is the key thing.

Neither can Jones or Rojo (well Jones can but he's still pretty poor in the air). Smalling is the only CB at the club who is a good in the air.
Jones is decent enough and comfortably our second best in the air, he's just not amazing.

Smalling - fantastic
Jones - decent
Rojo - below average
Bailly and Lindelof - terrible

meninred

The center back position is up for grabs.Ole is trying each one to see which pairing is better.It is clear that we dont have a commanding defender.In my mind one top defender is ok as we have four second defenders.True we can get alderweireld as his club put 25 mil release clause as a signal.The forum seems to trust him so he must be better .i didnt see him play much.. Anyway It seems it has narrowed down to four
Koulibally..mcguire..toby alder and legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.