Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldPop

Somehow, I'm still not convince he'll become a world class CB. But his progress is very encouraging.
No one knows for sure. On the other hand, he is still a very young CB so if he is allowed to continue playing at this level and gain more experience, I think he can be top class.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
He’s had about 8 matches where he’s ranged from “better than jones” to “leader”. So not shit but still got a long way to go. I’m still concerned by his arial prowess and his positioning. He’s been very good in his usage of the ball and against teams who primarily play on the ground. He’s done enough to warrant being picked but I’d like to see longevity in his consistency before I start getting excited, so I’ll reserve judgement for now
He's been playing well since Mourinho. I don't even know why some of you are getting triggered over being called out on this.

And I command that poster for digging all those posts abs exposing the lack of patience some posters have. It's the same stories over and over, instead of showing a bit of patience with our new signings and give then time to bed in and allow them to make mistake, the first instinct from posters on these boards is to react dramatically and go on hyperbolic rants about how shit said players are.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
This isn’t really one of those told ya so situations. Lindelof looked like an absolute car crash last season and that’s a fact.

He looks a lot better now, genuinely. But there are still misgivings about his ability to head away balls into the box. Even last night (Bailly is even worse at this) we struggled to clear a couple of first half crosses. But maybe a partner that can head the ball will help him out.
I've got to admit, while I was reading all those quotes about past posters shitting on him, I was surprised to see a post of yours up there. You're usually one of the most rational posters on these boards and didn't expect a post like that from you especially since I've seen you show patience and never rushed to shit on players as it's often the case on the Caf.

You've always advocate for people to look at the players circumstances(players playing under bad managers, stiffling systems which expose everyone etc) and our squad not being as shit as made out to be, so reading that post was a bit surprising.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He's been playing well since Mourinho. I don't even know why some of you are getting triggered over being called out on this.

And I command that poster for digging all those posts abs exposing the lack of patience some posters have. It's the same stories over and over, instead of showing a bit of patience with our new signings and give then time to bed in and allow them to make mistake, the first instinct from posters on these boards is to react dramatically and go on hyperbolic rants about how shit said players are.
Oh come on, he was pants for over a year and looked ill equipped to handle the premiership. He’s still got glaring deficiencies in his game.

As youre up on your high horse and maybe can’t hear up there, I’ll reiterate that I recognize he’s played well since Ole came in, finding some kind of consistency. But for me he’s still got some way to go

This isn’t really one of those told ya so situations. Lindelof looked like an absolute car crash last season and that’s a fact.

He looks a lot better now, genuinely. But there are still misgivings about his ability to head away balls into the box. Even last night (Bailly is even worse at this) we struggled to clear a couple of first half crosses. But maybe a partner that can head the ball will help him out.
I'm not sure he was as bad as that. He looked like a good footballer dropped in a league that was much faster and more physical than he was used to, almost like a youth player getting his first taste of the seniors. He was always going to get better as he got used to it but the question was, and still is, how much better.

Talk of him being junk and we should sell him were and still are rubbish.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I believe he's the worst defender i've ever seen play for United in a Premier League match. His positioning is terrible, he's fairly slow, not intelligent, and clearly isn't very good at passing. If he ever plays for United again I can only imagine it's because there's not a single other option or we just don't give a fucc.
This aged well.

OldPop

I'm not sure he was as bad as that. He looked like a good footballer dropped in a league that was much faster and more physical than he was used to, almost like a youth player getting his first taste of the seniors. He was always going to get better as he got used to it but the question was, and still is, how much better.

Talk of him being junk and we should sell him were and still are rubbish.
Agree, but we might have to give those who thought he was rubbish, and therefore should be sold promptly, some time to adapt to the new reality. If you have been wrong, it can be a long way back, the wounds have to heal and they don't if someone pokes them all the time.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Oh come on, he was pants for over a year and looked ill equipped to handle the premiership. He’s still got glaring deficiencies in his game.

As youre up on your high horse and maybe can’t hear up there, I’ll reiterate that I recognize he’s played well since Ole came in, finding some kind of consistency. But for me he’s still got some way to go
And therein lies the problem with people who'd gone on long negatives rants about him and wanting him sold. It's not something unheard of for new signings to find it hard especially moving into a new league. There should always be a bedding in time and mistakes should be allowed as they start, it's all part of the process. The likes of Vidic and Evra didn't particularly find it easy when they started out but eventually came around.

These outrages and impulses from people on these boards to have our new players sold as soon as they make mistakes or don't get firing 100% right away is the issue I'm talking about.

Lindelolf a new signing from another league into the premiere league should naturally be given time. But people weren't having none of that and this need to always want new signings sold as soon as they don't meet expectations early in their time at United that has to stop.

Same happening with other players like Fred, Bailly etc. The caf is always about " let's cut our losses", " let's bin him", "Get rid" etc.

Also Lindelolf had started playing well since Mourinho, upon Ole arrival he's improved

Runaway Sue

The differences between his performances now and then are like night and day
This is of course true. The difference though is that you flat out denied his ability while many of us asked for time to adjust. You didn't really give him that time though did you?
You labelled him a failure in a kneejerk reaction. I've been following Victor for many years so i knew he would turn out good. I smiled every time many of you denied his potential and thought, "just wait".
I've been a lurker for many years now. I had an account here back in feb 2004 but then i got my first kid and soon after my second so i didnt really have time to commit to to redcafe. Now they are older and i have more times on my hands. But the forum has gone downhill since then. And its thanks to people like you. Give new players time to adjust and dont write them off so quickly.

edit. spelling erros, on the beeer

Last edited:

Kag

I've got to admit, while I was reading all those quotes about past posters shitting on him, I was surprised to see a post of yours up there. You're usually one of the most rational posters on these boards and didn't expect a post like that from you especially since I've seen you show patience and never rushed to shit on players as it's often the case on the Caf.

You've always advocate for people to look at the players circumstances(players playing under bad managers, stiffling systems which expose everyone etc) and our squad not being as shit as made out to be, so reading that post was a bit surprising.
You’re right I don’t really like to shit on the players, but for me, Lindelof looked that bad. I couldn’t see anything. Not even the ability he was supposed to possess on the ball. He’s turned it around and then some. In hindsight, I think that nerves played a huge part in some of his defending. I can’t remember a player that looked as terrified? It’s amazing what a bit of confidence can do.

acnumber9

This is all being a football fan has become now. A bunch of people desperate to tell everyone else how right they were and how wrong everyone else was. He was shite last season, he’s been good this season. Just enjoy it.

Loublaze

ATLien
This is of course true. The difference though is that you flat out denied his ability while many of us asked for time to adjust. You didn't really give him that time though did you?
You labelled him a failure in a kneejerk reaction. I've been following Victor for many years so i knew he would turn out good. I smiled every time many of you denied his potential and thought, "just wait".
I've been a lurker for many years now. I had an account here back in feb 2004 but then i got my first kid and soon after my second so i didnt really have time to commit to to redcafe. Now they are older and i have more times on my hands. But the forum has gone downhill since then. And its thanks to people like you. Give new players time to adjust and dont write them off so quickly.

edit. spelling erros, on the beeer
People like me huh? Well excuse me, Lindelof didn't show anything in his initial phase here, so while my criticism looks harsh now I still feel it was apt at the time. Am I glad that he's currently proving me wrong? Sure I am. I still don't see Lindelof establishing himself as a long term dead cert starter here but at least for now he's starting to look the part, starting to do the standard things you'd expect from a United center back. He cowered from a lot of his duties before Ole

starman

Changing manager has arguably had the best effect on him throughout the whole sqaud, more so than Rashford or Pogba imo.

Other players under Mourhino, you knew their quality as we had see them produce before, even if they were playing bad under him. Lindelof never had that chance and never even a run of games to bedin. He seemed very meek, and timid everytime he played under Mou, scared of making a mistake, like most of the team.
Under Ole that fear is gone and is now playing like a boss. I can only see him get better the more games he gets under his belt and establishes a proper partnership with someone.

Runaway Sue

No, not people like you. The mindset some of the fans share.

What i'm saying is, lets give every guy a proper chance to show. Sometimes it takes a while. Why not give them the benefit of the doubt?

Young people moving to new countries need time to adapt. Give them the chance to assimilate.

Last edited by a moderator:

haram

This is all being a football fan has become now. A bunch of people desperate to tell everyone else how right they were and how wrong everyone else was. He was shite last season, he’s been good this season. Just enjoy it.
The point is players shouldn't just be judged after their first season, especially younger ones. Our own fans want to destroy our own players without giving them a proper chance.

Shark

@NotShark
He’s fecking brilliant, so good on the ball as well as being a beast of a CB. Thank you Jose ;)

Aloysius's Back 3

I still want to see the lad in a back 3.

I think in a back 2 even with a proper partner lies a bit of a weakness in him. In a back 3 he can make some crazy runs and come out and make a pass that can go straight through the midfield to the attackers,

The same with De ligt.

Get Lindelof and De ligt together - add a CB/CDM player inbetween them to allow dictate the play with ease.

acnumber9

The point is players shouldn't just be judged after their first season, especially younger ones. Our own fans want to destroy our own players without giving them a proper chance.
The point is people want to rub in how right they were.

haram

The point is people want to rub in how right they were.
Point is people need to look at the wider picture. Support the players and give them a chance rather than tearing them down after 10 games.

golden_blunder

Staff
And therein lies the problem with people who'd gone on long negatives rants about him and wanting him sold. It's not something unheard of for new signings to find it hard especially moving into a new league. There should always be a bedding in time and mistakes should be allowed as they start, it's all part of the process. The likes of Vidic and Evra didn't particularly find it easy when they started out but eventually came around.

These outrages and impulses from people on these boards to have our new players sold as soon as they make mistakes or don't get firing 100% right away is the issue I'm talking about.

Lindelolf a new signing from another league into the premiere league should naturally be given time. But people weren't having none of that and this need to always want new signings sold as soon as they don't meet expectations early in their time at United that has to stop.

Same happening with other players like Fred, Bailly etc. The caf is always about " let's cut our losses", " let's bin him", "Get rid" etc.

Also Lindelolf had started playing well since Mourinho, upon Ole arrival he's improved
There’s a clear difference between finding your feet and looking like you don’t possess the tools to do the job at this level.

And I don’t agree that he was playing well under Mourinho

It’s my opinion that as we are attacking the opposition more than parking the bus he’s under less pressure. This has given him the time to build his confidence

A-man

You’re right I don’t really like to shit on the players, but for me, Lindelof looked that bad. I couldn’t see anything. Not even the ability he was supposed to possess on the ball. He’s turned it around and then some. In hindsight, I think that nerves played a huge part in some of his defending. I can’t remember a player that looked as terrified? It’s amazing what a bit of confidence can do.
Even when he played well people were complaining and started to invent things to complain about; he looks terrified. He has a bad posture. Etc. All nonsense of course.

acnumber9

Point is people need to look at the wider picture. Support the players and give them a chance rather than tearing them down after 10 games.
The same applies to building them up after 10 games.

RC89

I've been saying to my mates for a while now but his face looks more gaunt now, like he's lost weight. Not that he was ever fat, but he also looks more aggressive just in his demeanour, like he's completely dialed in mentally. Looks an absolute beast and confident this isn't a false dawn for him. Think he's genuinely stepped up.

RC89

Another thing of note, he's gone from being maybe weak in the air to not only being competent but close to dominant even. Maybe not to the extent of someone like vidic, but he seems to be growing in stature when it comes to willing to head the ball and getting a good connection on it.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
No one knows for sure. On the other hand, he is still a very young CB so if he is allowed to continue playing at this level and gain more experience, I think he can be top class.
He needs to be more ruthless when marking player. He just seems "too nice" for a CB.

But you're right. He's still young, and it's only a month or so he works under manager who knows how to get the best of his ability.

kaiz

I said “he looks a lot better now, genuinely”. That’s an admission that he has improved.

That’s pretty clear. Unless you’re a raging halfwit.
I'm sorry for upsetting you. I called you out because look at your posts, you know you were wrong but still trying to justify yourself. It's like you are screaming: "I was not wrong. Lindelof was wrong" , like he is an exception, an anomaly. You still believe that given the evidents at the time, you were absolutely right to make that statement, like some short of football genius, "know a defender when you see one". It also defies my belief that football fans know almost nothing and are wrong 99% of the time. So I'm sorry if you are an exception and really a football genius.

staniswin

Why some people here keep talking about his aerial ability ? Did they check his stats yet ? He rarely lost any aerial battle this season , Smalling has lost more. What i love the most from him is he is such a clean defender , He rarely foul a player & gave them free kick in dangerous position, won each duels in comfortable manner. Defender peaked at 27-30 years old , by that time football community would agree that He is a world class CB.

Last edited:

A-man

Why some people here keep talking about his aerial ability ? Did they check his stats yet ? He rarely lost any aerial battle this season , Smalling has lost more. What i love the most from him is he is such a clean defender , He rarely foul a player & gave them free kick in dangerous position, won each duels in comfortable manner. Defender peaked at 27-30 years old , by that time football community would agree that He is a world class CB.
Smalling lose more in the air, but he also wins more.

I totally agree with you that he is a very clean defender. Hasnt given away many freekicks. I also think this is why many believe that he is not tough enough. But setpieces are dangerous and good if they can be avoided.

red4ever 79

Our best CB. What a turn around. For me it's now who do we buy in the summer to partner Lindelof. Preferably a CB who is comfortable on the left side as Lindelof is better carrying the ball out on the right. Smalling, Bailly and Tuanzebe to be back ups next season.

Darkhorsez

TBF ... he was actually starting to play better in the last several games under Mou. I think he is him getting more used to the pressures of playing in different league and high expectations of Utd. Never turned my back on his potential but let’s face it, last year he was not very good. Glad he is playing great now and may this last for a long time!

Last edited:

red4ever 79

TBF ... he was actually starting to play better in the last several games under Mou. I think he is him getting more used to the pressures of playing in different league and high expectations of Utd. Never turned my back on his potential but let’s face it, last year he was not very good. Glad he is playing great now and may this past for a long time!
Completely spot on sir. Anyone claiming his surge in form is releated to Ole coming in is wrong. He was our best CB the last couple of months of Mourinho's reign. Seems to be getting used to the pace and power of the EPL more and more.

Litch

Amazing turnaround. I think a lot of players have the ability to play in a Utd shirt but it's under-estimated the mental and emotional competence you need to be here. Still early days but we need to tie him down to a long contract cause for me, his playing style is perfect for a Real or Barca. Is it me or does he remind anyone else of Heinze? He even has a similar build and running style....

golden_blunder

Staff
Amazing turnaround. I think a lot of players have the ability to play in a Utd shirt but it's under-estimated the mental and emotional competence you need to be here. Still early days but we need to tie him down to a long contract cause for me, his playing style is perfect for a Real or Barca. Is it me or does he remind anyone else of Heinze? He even has a similar build and running style....
Heinze and lindelof!? No. The former was one of the most aggressive nutters in the league for years

Ekeke

Rondón is supposed to be decent in the air, but Lindelof had a good game against him.
True.

In the world cup I thought he lacked aggression, but over the course of the season he's been more up for trying to win the ball. And he didnt win many headers last season or this one, but in the past 3 months or so hes improved that too.

The main things I didnt like about him, he hass improved. So hopefully he keeps improving.

SirAF

Ageist
His running style IS similar to Heinze, but that’s all really.

Litch

Heinze and lindelof!? No. The former was one of the most aggressive nutters in the league for years
Def similar build and running style for me and not the same 'nutter' but more aggressive than people give him credit for...

Ekeke

:lol: Its always the same. When a player improves and does things he wasnt doing in the past, theres always a few posters who will come in and claim that he was doing it all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.