Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

simmee

What the feck was he doing on their second? He's lucky he pulled one back for us because that was a fecking joke. He should be ripped a new asshole for that garbage.
Guessing you will rage as much at your darling Jones for being out of position for the second goal and giving away the first?

Litch

Jones and shaw went running out of position, he was left with 2 strikers in the box. He went to the other and hoped young would shuffle across but obviously it was the wrong choice.

Realistically though it was a complete clusterfeck. You can’t end up with a 2v1 situation inside the box.

It’s on jones for me, whenever he plays everybody just play worse defensively.
Agree and Young was ball watching anyway and reacted late.....

Minimalist

Him and Smalling for the rest of the season please.

Big moment tonight for him. Loved it.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
What the feck was he doing on their second? He's lucky he pulled one back for us because that was a fecking joke. He should be ripped a new asshole for that garbage.
Clearly covering for the other CB going missing.... (and the DM not covering) he had 2 strikers to mark, he went to cover Barnes and the ball went to Wood

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Jones and shaw went running out of position, he was left with 2 strikers in the box. He went to the other and hoped young would shuffle across but obviously it was the wrong choice.

Realistically though it was a complete clusterfeck. You can’t end up with a 2v1 situation inside the box.

It’s on jones for me, whenever he plays everybody just play worse defensively.
Jones went to cover the wing because Shaw was caught out. Shaw then came in to cover Jones and was on Barnes (?). Lindelof for no reason decided to abandon Woods leaving him wide open to mark the same man as Shaw. It isn't a 2v1 situation, its a 3v3 until Lindelof decides to feck off for no reason.

How you've came out of that blaming Jones is baffling. He is about the only player on that play doing the right thing.

mu4c_20le

He was literally LindelON for their second goal, but more than made up for it with a thrilling injury time equaliser.

limerickcitykid

Clearly covering for the other CB going missing.... (and the DM not covering) he had 2 strikers to mark, he went to cover Barnes and the ball went to Wood
The other CB who did his job and covered the fullback? Who then came in to cover for Jones. He had 1 striker to mark because Shaw was marking the other. He went to cover Barnes for no reason leaving Wood wide open.

limerickcitykid

Guessing you will rage as much at your darling Jones for being out of position for the second goal and giving away the first?
He wasn't out of position for the second, he was doing his job covering the fullback just as he is meant to. Andreas gave away the second, although Jones shouldn't have really put him in that position in the first place.

Ekeke

:houllier: Typical response, Jones was on the pitch must be his fault.

No, move broke down and Shaw was forward so Jones did the right thing and covered. Shaw did the right thing and tried to get back in and influence things. Lindelof saw a player goalside of Shaw so he picked him up. Ashley Young didnt respond correctly, making a movement away from the goal instead of instantly getting into the right position to take over Lindelof's man.

Mostly Ashley Young's bad reaction. Would have probably helped if his right winger, whoever that was at the time, had tracked back to pick up the guy at the back post. But Young still should do better.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

No, move broke down and Shaw was forward so Jones did the right thing and covered. Shaw did the right thing and tried to get back in and influence things. Lindelof saw a player goalside of Shaw so he picked him up. Ashley Young didnt respond correctly, making a movement away from the goal instead of instantly getting into the right position to take over Lindelof's man.

Mostly Ashley Young's bad reaction. Would have probably helped if his right winger, whoever that was at the time, had tracked back to pick up the guy at the back post. But Young still should do better.
I'm not actually blaming Jones (the DM not covering) Lindelof ended up in this case with 2 players to cover which we agree on.
Young should certainly pick up Wood, but Matic (not sure where he was) should have been covering his CB also in that type of situation I would say

EDIT: Actually I don't even think you can blame Young either, since he also had another man he was watching. Seems like when Jones went out wide, our covering was compromised, and I will need to look at another replay to see where Matic was, because he should be the one covering Jones when he goes to cover Shaw IMO

arthurka

We lost the ball badly out on the left, and got attacked directly with players out of position. We defended badly collectively with players out of position dmc and lb being the main culprits. It happened quickly and our defenders did mess it up. But we were trying to score so our shape wasnt defensive at all.. These things happen.

Ekeke

I'm not actually blaming Jones (the DM not covering) Lindelof ended up in this case with 2 players to cover which we agree on.
Young should certainly pick up Wood, but Matic (not sure where he was) should have been covering his CB also in that type of situation I would say
Okay maybe thats a fair point.

But I think it happens at a speed that Matic isnt made for. He's already taken himself out of it at the beginning somewhat jumping for the ball and losing. He isnt mobile enough to do much after that.

I do think with Shaw's speed he might have been okay without Lindelof taking over. He's just accelerating to get there when Lindelof takes over and then stops when he sees that his CB has taken over. But at the same time I dont think you can really blame Lindelof for not wanting to take a chance and taking responsibility as a goalside CB. Young just isnt on his wavelength

Rozski

Hell of a finish in the end! Tight angle with his left. Not bad!

Seems harsh to be blaming him for the second. A different decision by him could have maybe prevented the goal but you could say that about several players there and it was just all a bit of a mess.

Devil may care

Playing next to Calamity Jones never helps but I thought he was fine tonight and grabbed what might be a vital goal when all the dust settles.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He needs a proper defensive partner with him. Looking forward to how he performs next season.

Dolf

Looked great tonight. In a match where everyone struggled he was the only one that looked stable.

OldPop

Good effort again by Lindelof and it was well deserved that he had to make his first goal for MU. Without a doubt MOM today.

Adamsk7

Literally can’t wait for Lindelof and Smalling. I’d even be half tempted to put Bailly at right back - at least he’s quick so he can get up and down the pitch. Can’t be any worse a crosser than Young!

BaseFishing

He needs a proper defensive partner with him. Looking forward to how he performs next season.
Agreed, it's important to get the chemistry right here.

Wish there was a top-class English centre back coming through that we could get, ala Rio.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I like him more and more, but MotM today? He was at fault for the second with the awful positioning that gifted a couple of yards of the offside line.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Played with heart and a calm composed head. I really like him. Think he can grow into a potential worldbeater and I never thought I would say that. However he still lacks a bit defensively. Should have started the game with Smalling beside him to shut up shop and not defended so low, we should not allow 2 goals from fecking Burnley. Rebounds from longballs play around and get the goal, it is what they do. He will learn from this though and he showed great heart to makes us believe in him.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Jones went to cover the wing because Shaw was caught out. Shaw then came in to cover Jones and was on Barnes (?). Lindelof for no reason decided to abandon Woods leaving him wide open to mark the same man as Shaw. It isn't a 2v1 situation, its a 3v3 until Lindelof decides to feck off for no reason.

How you've came out of that blaming Jones is baffling. He is about the only player on that play doing the right thing.
Shaw wasn’t even goal side of Barnes, you can hardly call it marking.

RonaldoVII

I like him more and more, but MotM today? He was at fault for the second with the awful positioning that gifted a couple of yards of the offside line.
I'd blame Young more for that goal. Lindelof was with a man and Young could see the scorer free and needed to move infield.

He put in some good performances right before Old came in too. He was amazing against Juventus.
I didnt watch either game due to work commitments but I heard he did well.
What I notice now is his eagerness to move the ball forward from deep.We didnt see that aspect in his game under Jose's tutelage.

Last edited:

Alemar

It's excellent that he scored, was in the right position and won a vital rebound, but bloody Heaton almost - almost - saved his rebound shot right after making his amazing save of the Sanchez' header. But a goal is a goal nonetheless, even if it was off Heaton. Our best player tonight alongside Pogba

edcunited1878

The second goal was a complete disaster amongst the backline and with Burnley having equal numbers men forward to those defending, it was a toss up and the ball landed favorable for Burnley. Neither Shaw or Lindelof were goal side of their players, but again you get a little lost when recovering like that to move up. Just open at the back at that moment.

Similar scenario when Young shot instead of crossing into the area of 5 United players going into the box with only 3 Burnley defenders.

GM K

I have always said there is a great player in Victor. It is becoming more and more obvious.

Trizy

The kid impresses again. Long may it continue. However, for it to continue we need an aerial dominant CB beside him. Please god let Smalling be fit next game.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
My boy:drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.