View full 2023-24 profile

5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

NoPace

Did well. Definitely in the wrong league/country for reasons I'm not smart enough to understand. Will likely join Blind, Smalling and now Mkhitaryan as players who look better once they've moved.

A-man

Another day at the office and another decent game as LB.

Sylar

It's hard to judge him. Cos CB out wide normally look lost. They either just defend team which means a three at the back or they try to help the attacker which allows run after run behind them.

Hes obviously emergency right now in that position. For cb we know what we will get and unfortunately it's not good enough

But well done for yesterday. My worry is the Liverpool game of course. Hopefully he puts in a motm type performance for those games

criticalanalysis

Thought he was passive and uninvolved in the 1st half. End of 2nd half onwards, was good. Needs to keep this up and be more proactive however, as the expectation is always much lower compared to other players.

Last edited:

Strats

This place would have been glorious if he smacked that left footed shot in the top corner.

He was solid, even at left back.

Last edited:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Thought he had a really good game, fair play to him.

Doracle

I watch him play and I just feel sad. He seems a nice guy and he clearly tries his best but how has he been here 7 years? He’s a terrible CB against any player with pace or power.

I don’t understand how ETH can go into a match away at Brentford and think he’s an option for a starting place. Even if Maguire couldn’t play 90 minutes, Kwambala should be well ahead of Lindelöf as an option.

Ekeke

Worked hard, won the ball a bunch in the air and then went off injured not used to working so hard. Probably our best CB today out of a poor set of performances

Ekeke

Thought he did ok. As for him not being at the club he is a decent back up CB
When he plays like this absolutely. Its just its once every 20 games and that isnt good enough. Credit for today, still not good enough to be here

Doracle

He was directly at fault for three of Brentford’s best chances and that’s just what I can remember.

The incident where Toney went past him like he wasn’t there was straight up the worst defending of the night, on an evening where Martinez tried to play a first time outside of the foot pass which went straight to an attacker to run through on goal.

I don’t understand how Lindelöf can consistently put in displays that would see him never play again for most major clubs and yet somehow convince people he did ok. 4% have voted him MOTM on here! It’s like expectations are totally different for him compared to every other player.

Sylar

He's been here 7 years. Insane. He should have been gone after 2-3 years. We hang onto players far too long

soapythecat

Hopefully his Brentford appearance was his last in a United shirt. Needs replacing whilst we can still get a few quid for him. Keep him and he gets another contract and he’s not good enough.

criticalanalysis

Hopefully his Brentford appearance was his last in a United shirt. Needs replacing whilst we can still get a few quid for him. Keep him and he gets another contract and he’s not good enough.
You'd hope so. Even his 'availability' aka his only real 'asset' is waning with these frequent issues now.

@Ekeke said it best. Lindelof actually tried with effort against Brentford in terms of running and getting involved, only to go off injured through the 'hard' work. It's no wonder he's been available because he doesn't really do anything strenuous.

He's had his contract extended as per the 12m option so right now is the best time to sell him, get any value and bring in a better option whether even if it for 4th/5th choice.

Last edited:

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Nah, he’ll stick around as useful backup. He’s not a starter but he’s decent as a squad player. If we are losing Varane, and maybe Maguire will go this summer, we can’t be changing ALL our CB in one go this summer. Plus we need reliable backup at LCB for Licha, before we even replace any of our current player!

Ekeke

Nah, he’ll stick around as useful backup. He’s not a starter but he’s decent as a squad player. If we are losing Varane, and maybe Maguire will go this summer, we can’t be changing ALL our CB in one go this summer. Plus we need reliable backup at LCB for Licha, before we even replace any of our current player!
He isnt reliable.

Our backups should be CBs who defend better than him, or play similarly to Lisandro and specialize in taking the ball and passing out from the back. Lindelof does neither role well enough. He can occasionally play a very nice ball over the backline when he has time, space and a runner no doubt about it. And when there is space in front of him he will happily run the ball forward into that space. But then he plays a safe 100% pass to the side not making anything out of it.

When pressed he panics as much as our other CBs. On the other side of things he's happy to chase a ball in behind the defence, but will be extremely tentative and slow to confront an attacker who has the ball. I doubt you'll ever see a less aggressive CB unless its a midfielder playing CB. And I watched Lerma and Cook both play CB for their teams in the Bournemouth and Palace match and they were still more aggressive. He has improved in the air and by the numbers he wins a fair amount. The problem is Maguire and Varane are both at their best in that area. So he's 3rd choice "Clear high balls out of the box" CB

Of course Maguire isnt leaving after getting back in the team. Varane and Lindelof? If we're serious about defending properly, or we want to play out from the back very well then we'll change both.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I think Lindelof has mostly been good enough for us over the years to be a decent squad player. Not too many teams have a better 4th choice. Unfortunately he was one of our starters for the majority of that time but that's not his fault.

However this season his performances have dropped off quite a bit, and he's also started to pick up a few injuries. If this is what to expect in the future then we do need to look for better.

criticalanalysis

I think Lindelof has mostly been good enough for us over the years to be a decent squad player. Not too many teams have a better 4th choice. Unfortunately he was one of our starters for the majority of that time but that's not his fault.

However this season his performances have dropped off quite a bit, and he's also started to pick up a few injuries. If this is what to expect in the future then we do need to look for better.
That's a kind way of putting it and imo the wording should more be 'he's not better than 4th choice defenders at other clubs'. It's more accurate and paints a clearer picture of his actual quality i.e not good at all.

It's true though that such an ineffectual and uninvolved player brought in as a first team squad member, who became 4th choice somehow failed upwards to last 7 years here, is on the club. The fact some fans still think he's a 'good squad member' is wild to me. His physicality and body, which was next to none anyways is failing him with these injuries in the past 2-3 years. It's a clear sign to move on.