Victor Lindelöf | Officially signs

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Just checked his transfermarkt page. He got one(!) booking last season. I know tf is not 100% reliable but I guess that's true. Pretty impressive.

RC89

Picture translated:
"Shall we grab lunch today?"
"Honey......"
"Yes..."
"It's the Manchester derby. Game of the century."

Tweet translated:
"When your Saturday plans go to hell"

Kid will fit in here nicely.
Is he a red or blue? That's the question now...

suheilsworld

Good to get the first one out of the way. Was Baily Mou's 1st signing last season? Seems that he likes getting his defenders in place first. Know nothing about him, just like i knew nothing about Baily. Trust Jose here.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
Good to get the first one out of the way. Was Baily Mou's 1st signing last season? Seems that he likes getting his defenders in place first. Know nothing about him, just like i knew nothing about Baily. Trust Jose here.
Bailly was the first last year.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So he replaces Rojo as Bailly's new partner or we are switching to a back 3 ?
Given Rojo's injury, I'd imagine he will start and Jose will evaluate things again once Rojo is recovered. With injuries, suspensions, and general fatigue, there should be plenty of minutes for everyone.

red_devil83

It's a worry if he's not strong aerially in the Portuguese league.

I watched him against France and he struggled a bit physically against Giroud. If he is generally not great in the air it's hard to see him being paired with Bailly until they both improve that area of their game.

It suggests to me that short term at least, Smalling will still start a lot of games and if any defender leaves the club this summer it will be Jones.
But Jones is the best in the air

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
A nice positive about this transfer is alao the fact that Lindelöf can easily communicate with all our defenders.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
You can kinda see why José prioritized someone with his skillset from the highlights video vs. France. To be fair, the opposition didn't press high in an organized way, but he exudes a sense of calm on the ball, is good at switching to the flanks, and delivers a couple sumptuous midfield bypassing vertical passes or Bonucci-esque long balls (including the one at 01:44 with his left foot):

None of our centerbacks (apart from Blind) are that precise with the ball on a consistent basis, and once Mourinho cleans up Lindelöf's defensive technique and awareness, he'll become a very complete and complementary defender alongside Bailly in a sweeper-stopper sense, and maybe even emerge as the central organizer of the defensive line. Heading technique needs work - as has been highlighted before, even though he has a good leap, but that can be sorted in due time, too - the biggest detail is that he has the physical and technical skillset(s) and is reportedly a hard worker - should be willing clay in Mourinho's hands.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's a really good sign that Mourinho is bringing in a ball playing centre back rather than looking to fill the team with cloggers. Give us Morata and a winger next

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Why was "Phil Jones" instantly the first thought that popped into my head when I seen this?:lol: You just know Phil would have found someway to spectacularly end up flat out on the kitchen floor covered in cheese puffs...

Mark McMaw

have we ever had a centre half so two footed?? can play a 40 yard pass with either foot with no problem at all him im excited to see him. Bailey will make him look even better!

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
People may not believe me on this, but this alone could prove to be the biggest signing United will make.

A strong CB pairing allows everyone else to be more progressive without leaking like a sieve which is what happened under Moyes and rarely under LVG when he tested a more offensive style on rare occasions.

It's no coincidence that Mourinho has been ultra defence, more so than at any other team. The bottom line is we have seriously lacked real quality at the back. I think most people have now realised Smalling has been found out. Jones is just too injured to ever get a run. Rojo looked great for parts this season, but arguably could have looked great in a way that Smalling did under LVG.

With ultra defensive styles, lesser defenders can look like stars, as their margin for error is so much lower. The opposition are effectively funnelled towards the defence as opposed to having a level of freedom for which judgement becomes key.

I think Rojo and Smalling are brilliant tacklers, but lack top class judgement. They can shepherd to a degree, but struggle to read the minds of truly talented players. They also don't have the strength of a Bailly who can be more direct to overpower attackers.

Put simply they are great squad players to fill in and close a game out, but they are not a base by which to rely on. Effectively managed they stifle your attacking play, because you can't afford to push forward in the numbers required to open up the opposition. But they are effective because they are great tacklers. They are the equivalent of the goalkeeping equivalent of Joe Hart. A brilliant shot stopper, but doesn't own the area or provide brilliant distribution, thus requiring defence to make up for these weaknesses. It's why Pep found Hart to be the stifler.

Peps rationale was good. The problem was he traded off too much on the shot stopping ability.

Now I've not seen of much of Lindelof to judge what he can do, but I know enough of what Smalling and Rojo can't do to know what to expect.

I presume he will have great judgement, be reasonable in the tackle (may not even be as good in this area as Smalling or Rojo I don't know) and possibly be good in distribution. What this will do is allow the whole team to be more expansive and with the quick players we have this could open up the gaps that haven't been there at times this year. It won't rely on individual quickness, or one or two, but a combined forward press.

Now I'm speculating here, but if I speculate correctly this signing alone might be the one that transforms United from that hits a brick wall too often and ends in a draw to one that finds the gaps in the wall and pulls out the wins.

I'm excited lads. This signing could prove to be massive.

ash_86

You can kinda see why José prioritized someone with his skillset from the highlights video vs. France. To be fair, the opposition didn't press high in an organized way, but he exudes a sense of calm on the ball, is good at switching to the flanks, and delivers a couple sumptuous midfield bypassing vertical passes or Bonucci-esque long balls (including the one at 01:44 with his left foot):

None of our centerbacks (apart from Blind) are that precise with the ball on a consistent basis, and once Mourinho cleans up Lindelöf's defensive technique and awareness, he'll become a very complete and complementary defender alongside Bailly in a sweeper-stopper sense, and maybe even emerge as the central organizer of the defensive line. Heading technique needs work - as has been highlighted before, even though he has a good leap, but that can be sorted in due time, too - the biggest detail is that he has the physical and technical skillset(s) and is reportedly a hard worker - should be willing clay in Mourinho's hands.
Those long balls :drool:

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
That's sensible, are you sure this sort of level headedness belongs on the caf? :drool:
To judge based on a "few" minutes. True judgement will take 1-2 seasons based on the usual history of United defenders. Plenty start poorly and really grow from there.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
One down, three to go. Let's get Morata, Perisic and Fabinho done quickly before preseason starts, and hit the ground running next season.

criticalanalysis

From those two videos, now that I am an expert, on the defensive side, he reminds me of Rojo's performances this season, in a good way. Commited, focused on defending and on the front foot. Doesn't look that nimble/agile but not slow and got some confidence in his passing.

Good signing. Hopefully Rojo can come back to the same because Mourinho would love it with the options.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Why or how would that knowledge be in your brain?
I knew it too, because once someone made a thread on here saying we never confirm any transfers on the weekend. That same window I think all of the transfers were confirmed on a Saturday or Sunday.

Last edited:

Ferguson

One of the main concern is what happens when or if rojo,jones and smalling are back fully fit. Then you will have five central defenders vying for two positions. I dont know if he is going to sell one defender or is assuming that they will be injured next season as well and thus and needs a cover.
Lindelof has also played RB before. Perhaps Mourinho will use him as a more defensive fullback or in a back three against certain teams.

Dante

Average bang
I LOVE bailly. nbut lets be hobnest. He's shit ihn the aie. hopefully, linselof is good in the air.

OohAahMartial

Given Rojo's injury, I'd imagine he will start and Jose will evaluate things again once Rojo is recovered. With injuries, suspensions, and general fatigue, there should be plenty of minutes for everyone.
Spot on.

The interesting thing is that he is the sort of defender you would expect Pep to sign. That Jose has suggests we will see a different kind of football this season. Both Bailly and Lindelof are composed passers rather than nervy hoofers. Lindelof can even pass through the lines to the forwards and make driving runs. Will be great to see.

stu_1992

The Portuguese media were correct! :eek: Good fee. Excited to see how he does. I've read good things.

Dante

Average bang
Hmmmm.. . Smalling is better in the air, but Jones is the better player. It'll be interesting to see whom Jose tosses aside.

I don't get the logic behind this signing, if I'm honest. All things considered, defence is the least of out problrems. I suppose this is a Muourinho signing like no other.

Last edited: