g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Victor Lindelöf | Officially signs

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
So far in his career Lindelöf has made a lot of good choices. Beginning in his native Sweden with third-tier side Västerås Sportklubb, it was there that teammate Robin Blomme first saw his potential. “He was one of several youngsters that were added to the first team at that time,” Blomme, the editor-in-chief of SoloCalcio.se, told Yahoo Sport UK.

“He was from the start a really outgoing person, not shy at all. He got along great with everybody. I like and liked him a lot. There were a lot of laughs in the dressing room thanks to Victor.”

Then just 17 years old, it was more than just a precocious talent that caught his teammate’s eye. “He was very determined,” Blomme said. “He gave his all in every training, and often put in extra time in the gym. He became very athletic, and that helped him to adapt to senior football. I remember a player that was really good for his age and played like a veteran senior player.”

top1whoisman

Scout
UEFA.com:

"I will not say if I want him or not," José Mourinho said a while back, not quite ending rumours that he was tracking Benfica defender Victor Lindelöf. Now he has his man, UEFA.com explains what the Manchester United manager was keeping so quiet about.

Name: Victor Lindelöf
Club: Manchester United
Position: defender
Nationality: Swedish
Born: 17 July 1994
Preferred foot: right
Height: 1.87m

Current tally

International: 12 appearances, 1 goal
UEFA club competition: 12 appearances, 0 goals
Domestic top division: 61 appearances, 2 goals

They say...

"A player doesn't take a step up if he doesn't have the ability, or simply has belief. He took the chance [converting a famous free-kick against Sporting CP] because he works hard, and because we work with him. Before his breakthrough, he didn't have the opportunity to put it into practice, but he takes set pieces brilliantly."
Rui Vitória, Benfica coach

"You cannot deny his qualities. He has burst on to the scene and done superbly at club and international level. I've been so impressed by him whenever I've played with him. He's an important player for us in the Sweden team now and that shows maturity. But not only does he have the quality on the pitch but he has a calm and sensible head on him as well. He is a humble guy and has a good future ahead of him"
Sebastian Larsson, Sweden player

"[The Swedish media] were surprised at what he has done at Benfica, where he seems like a veteran, with several senior team years under his belt. His first games were like finals, and I was also very impressed with his performances. He is a leader, a calm one, and possesses the qualities to become a captain, at club and national-team level. I have no doubt about that."
Anders Andersson, former Benfica and Sweden player

"It was a beautiful surprise the way he settled into the team so quickly. He is physically robust, strong in the air when marking his man, as well as being very calm and focused. He was prepared for his opportunity and made the most of it."
Toni, former Benfica player and coach

Background...

Having started out with hometown club Västerås, helping them win promotion to Sweden's second tier, Lindelöf joined Benfica in December 2011, aged 17. He won the 2015 UEFA European Under-21 Championship with Sweden, but senior Eagles appearances were rare – and a move to Middlesbrough was mooted – before injuries thrust him into the first team in early 2016. He shone, stepping up to become a senior international, and winning the first of two Portuguese titles that season.

Playing style...

Regarded as a ball-playing centre-back, he is a big man but skilful, and while he can put in crunching tackles, his timing is exceptional – in 46 appearances for Benfica last season, he was booked just once. Pacy, he has been tried out as a right-back at international level, but his natural position is in the middle. He has been nicknamed 'Iceman', Lindelöf (pronounced 'linda-love') explaining: "It was one of the coaches and a few team-mates who gave me the nickname. I think it's because I'm pretty calm and steady."

Shades of...

Think Real Madrid's Rafael Varane; rarely concedes fouls or picks up cards, and reads the game brilliantly. His blond hair and new-found set-piece skills also drew comparisons to Ronald Koeman (:wenger:).

"I've been playing, and playing well, I think. This was my fourth season at the club and progressed a lot as a player and person. I feel that every day I take another step forward thanks to the good professionals around me."

"I would never have been the footballer I am today if I hadn't had the training I've received over the [last few] years. I have a lot to thank Benfica for."

"[Dispelling rumours of his impending move to United while on duty with Sweden] I know a lot of things get written about me, but I don't think it's right for me to read them. It wouldn't suit me to read rumours. My thoughts are with the national team. After that I'm going on holiday, so we'll see. But I have a contract [at Benfica], and that's where my thoughts lie. That's my answer."

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Hasn't played a game yet but I have a feeling he's going to be one of my favorite players at the club.

Angelinho

The longer the transfer window goes on with such crazy prices being quoted, this deal seems better and better.

top1whoisman

Scout
Singing the national anthem ahead of Sweden U21 vs England U21 with Guidetti (I think). (Un)fortunately it was in mute.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Nilsson Lindelöf and his girlfriend seem really down to earth.

Zlatan and Henke Larsson had already achieved legend status when they joined United so it's gonna be strange to see a regular Swedish guy turn out for United.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Pronounced Linda - love :lol:
It's not pronounced Linda-love at all....
We watch enough Swedish kids programs while growing up in Norway to consider us pretty fluent in Swedish, especially when drunk.
The ö is pronounced roughly like how brits pronounce the u in feck... you know what i mean :)
There is no a sound either.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Just seen Victor and Jaap Stam share the same birthday - 17th July... good omen methinks

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It's not pronounced Linda-love at all....
We watch enough Swedish kids programs while growing up in Norway to consider us pretty fluent in Swedish, especially when drunk.
The ö is pronounced roughly like how brits pronounce the u in feck... you know what i mean :)
There is no a sound either.
Don't ruin the dream!

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
His girlfriend seems like my dream woman.

Fecking hell, what a life this kid has. 22 years old, multimillionaire, hot girlfriend and just signed for Manchester United.

Where did I got wrong? :(

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I haven't gone through this thread but the chant could be (to the tune of Sweet Dreams are made of these);

Swede Dreams are made of these
Who am I to disagree?
I travelled the world just to see,
Everybodies looking at Victor

To be fair I am hungover and in a greasy spoon so don't be too harsh!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
This is a shame.

15:51
Tragedy at Lindelof's first club
When Victor Lindelof signed for Manchester United his first club IK Franke got a windfall of £75,000.

But the Swedish side are going to have spend the money on rebuilding their headquarters after a fire destroyed it.

Club director Magnus Hellstrom told the Sun:

“The police suspect it was an arson attack and we’ve been targeted.

“The club relies on volunteers and doesn’t have much money at all as we’re based in a poor area of the city.

“We have all been so excited that Victor has gone on to sign for United and we were getting some much-needed funds, but now this.

“We’re so sad and don’t understand why anyone would want to do such a thing.”

DomesticTadpole

So they didn't have insurance?

Or is arson not covered?
It's a funny one that. Technically they don't cover it as usually it is done by the claimant and is a criminal offence, but not sure how it works if it is someone unknown doing it more as an act of vandalism. If they cannot prove the latter they might not be covered.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
This is a shame.

When Victor Lindelof signed for Manchester United his first club IK Franke got a windfall of £75,000.

But the Swedish side are going to have spend the money on rebuilding their headquarters after a fire destroyed it.

“The club relies on volunteers and doesn’t have much money at all as we’re based in a poor area of the city.

“We have all been so excited that Victor has gone on to sign for United and we were getting some much-needed funds, but now this.

That's awful. Can imagine they had plans to use that £75,000 to improve the facilities, and now they're looking at rebuilding. Shame

DomesticTadpole

That's awful. Can imagine they had plans to use that £75,000 to improve the facilities, and now they're looking at rebuilding. Shame
It is a shame and as I said above. Arson is a nasty business to either prove you didn't do it or who actually did.

WalkerTheRed

This is a shame.

No insurance?

Strats

"Tried to take a panorama picture"

His head is too square. Sell him.