Victor Lindelöf | Officially signs

GM K

The consensus seems to be that our center back pairing will be the Ice Man and Bailly. Hmmmn, not so sure. Rojo was developing into an incredible ball playing center back before he got injured while Bailly was getting more injury and error prone. I think Jose has a tough task picking two from the three of them.

The good thing about the situation is that we'll be seeing real competition at the back and that can augur well for the team.

GM K

What does this mean? He's also just has a very serious injury, let's see if he can regain fitness first.
It means Rojo will give Bailly and Ice man a run for their money in that center back position. It may end up not being Bailly and the Ice man. It may be Rojo and the Ice man or Rojo and Bailly.

Footballers get injured all the time and come back better. Nothing about Rojo's injury that indicates he is finished.

CM

The consensus seems to be that our center back pairing will be the Ice Man and Bailly. Hmmmn, not so sure. Rojo was developing into an incredible ball playing center back before he got injured while Bailly was getting more injury and error prone. I think Jose has a tough task picking two from the three of them.

The good thing about the situation is that we'll be seeing real competition at the back and that can augur well for the team.
Rojo will be out for the first few months of the season

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.

While I agree with more competition, I think it's obvious that Lindelof has been brought for the starting 11 and to form a long term partnership with Bailly. I don't think even when Rojo is fit and has had a run of games he would replace either one of Lindelof or Bailly if they are fit and playing well.

I also don't think it's right to jump to the conclusion that Bailly is becoming injury prone after 1 season. He picked up a few injuries after AFCON but that was it really. Also don't recall him making too many errors either.

Reactions: Penna

ilovethisgameahahah

Rojo is many things but he's far from a ball playing CB, his first instinct is to kick the ball as far away as he can. That being said, he was excellent and if his injury doesn't damage his game too much he will give Jose a nice headache.

GM K

Rojo is many things but he's far from a ball playing CB, his first instinct is to kick the ball as far away as he can. That being said, he was excellent and if his injury doesn't damage his game too much he will give Jose a nice headache.
That's actually Messrs Smalling and Jones. I felt Rojo was getting more and more comfortable with the ball. Plus, hr was the most adventurous going forward. I recall a handful of shots/headers at goal with about two or three almost going in. He even scored one goal during the season.

Anyway, I'm not trying to over rate him. Just saying that he was massively improving and will be in contention for that center back spot when he's fit.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
That's actually Messrs Smalling and Jones. I felt Rojo was getting more and more comfortable with the ball. Plus, hr was the most adventurous going forward. I recall a handful of shots/headers at goal with about two or three almost going in. He even scored one goal during the season.

Anyway, I'm not trying to over rate him. Just saying that he was massively improving and will be in contention for that center back spot when he's fit.
One goal as a CB is nothing to write home about, Smalling scored about 5 I think under van Gaal.

GM K

While I agree with more competition, I think it's obvious that Lindelof has been brought for the starting 11 and to form a long term partnership with Bailly. I don't think even when Rojo is fit and has had a run of games he would replace either one of Lindelof or Bailly if they are fit and playing well.

I also don't think it's right to jump to the conclusion that Bailly is becoming injury prone after 1 season. He picked up a few injuries after AFCON but that was it really. Also don't recall him making too many errors either.
You are certainly right about Ice man being brought in to pair with Bailly. Just trying to point out that if Rojo continues at the rate he was developing, he will be a strong contender for the center back spot.

About Bailly, he is an incredible player but he got me on the edge many times during last season. One proof is that he got 2 red cards during the season. That's almost Sergio Ramos level. His all action style also makes him prone to injuries in a league like the EPL. Not saying that he will end up getting injured all the time but to avoid that, he will need to adjust his play a bit. It will serve him well to study the play of Vidic or Terry.

GM K

One goal as a CB is nothing to write home about, Smalling scored about 5 I think under van Gaal.
One goal in a season where the entire team scored only 54 is actually something to write home about for a CB.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Really happy with Rojo, Bailly and Lindelof as our centreback options. With Blind and Jones as back up we can well stocked. It's been a while!

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Really happy with Rojo, Bailly and Lindelof as our centreback options. With Blind and Jones as back up we can well stocked. It's been a while!
Tuanzebe another option

Craig Ward

One goal in a season where the entire team scored only 54 is actually something to write home about for a CB.
It's really not anything of note for a CB. A Cb who played as much as Rojo, who goes up for every corner/free kick and is good in the air, 1 goal for a season is nothing to boast about.

To reply to the thread.

Lindelof and Bailly have the making of a damn good partnership, they will certainly be 1st choice. Rojo is most likely 1st choice back up as Smalling looks set to go, Jones injury prone and Blind not good enough at CB. With this addition, we now have good quality and depth to cover. Very good signing!

flappyjay

This guy is speaking more sense than every single "professional" pundit I've ever heard put together. He's spot on. These pundits are doing my head in with the inane drivel they come out with and the likes of Ray Wilkins are the absolute worst. Wilkins, Owen, Hargreaves, etc. why are they given a platform to spout their opinions? No one is interested in their uninformed shit.
I have come to a point where I don't watch pre match shows and post match shows. They don't speak sense at all and we have sit there and listen to them just cause they played the game professionally. Just look at the fact that every season their favorite to win the league is City.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
A little piece on him from The Guardian today

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/15/victor-lindelof-manchester-united-benfica-iceman

Or read below, as the Guardian website is chock full of video ads that will grind your device to a halt.
When Luisão says that there have been times when he has mistaken Victor Lindelof for a player in his 30s, the gnarly Brazilian who has never held back in his role as the leader of Benfica’s defence is paying his young colleague the highest possible compliment. Although it could be mistaken for a dismissive observation about Lindelof’s cumbersome movement, instead it is Luisão’s way of expressing his admiration for a blossoming defender whose eerie composure explains why José Mourinho was so determined to bring him to Manchester United.

Luisão is not alone in regarding the 22-year-old as mature beyond his tender age and it is that very quality, that ability to stay cool under pressure and take everything in his stride, that has allowed Lindelof to develop from a Benfica reserve into one of the hottest young talents in Europe, all in the space of 18 months.

At the start of 2016, Lindelof was little more than raw potential, a youngster who was yet to prove that he was good enough to replace his more established team-mates in the first team. People at Benfica knew that he was gifted, but they had not seen enough evidence to suggest that the Swede was ready to make the jump. Sure, he made his professional debut for Vasteras at the age of 16 but his experience of playing in the Swedish lower leagues was incomparable to the intense challenge of competing with Porto and Sporting Lisbon for the Portuguese title. And yes, Benfica had bought him when he was 17. But a big move came with no guarantees of regular football. He would have to prove himself first and he would have to do it the hard way.

Some young players might have grown impatient in Lindelof’s position. They might not have been willing to work. They might have believed their own hype. Lindelof, after all, was a captain for Sweden at youth level. He was a key member of the Under-21 team that won the European Championship in the summer 2015, beating Portugal on penalties in the final. But when he returned to his club for pre-season training, nothing had changed. He would still have to wait his turn.

Come the turn of the year, Lindelof’s moment had still not arrived and there was furtive talk of a move to Middlesbrough, but he was rewarded for his patience when Lisandro López suffered an injury when Benfica travelled to Moreirense shortly before the closure of the winter transfer window. His aim wasn’t to prove people wrong but to make himself undroppable. Lindelof played the final 30 minutes and oozed class and assurance in a 4-1 win. His nervelessness was perhaps the most impressive aspect of his performance – no wonder they call him The Iceman in Lisbon – and there could be no doubt that he was ready for the testing months ahead. Before long Lindelof was excelling in a Champions League quarter-final against Bayern Munich and he played every minute of Benfica’s final 14 league matches, helping them to pick up the 13 wins that meant they finished two points above Sporting at the top of the table.

Young centre-backs can be prone to errors but Lindelof’s outstanding form earned him a place in Sweden’s Euro 2016 squad and those who have known him since the start are not surprised that United have bought him for £31m. “He was a leader in a natural way,” Claes Eriksson, the manager of Sweden’s Under-19s, says. “Not shouting but leading by a good example. I think he has a good opportunity to succeed at United because he does everything at 100%. It is the top level, so you never know, but I think he can handle the pressure. Mentally he is very strong. I think that will not be a problem for him.”

His decision to leave home at such a young age was an indication of Lindelof’s toughness and he has not looked back since getting his break against Moreirense, helping Benfica to defend the title last season and becoming an influential player for his country at senior level.

Although Lindelof started as a right-back and sometimes even played as a right midfielder, he was always destined for central defence and Mourinho admires his strength, aerial power, ability on the ball and versatility. United can be confident that Lindelof and Eric Bailly, the speedy 23-year-old Ivorian who impressed in his debut season at Old Trafford, will form the solid partnership that they have lacked since time caught up with Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic.

Although Lindelof does not possess lightning speed, his astute reading of the game meant he was booked only once last season and he demonstrated a knack for the spectacular when he earned Benfica a point with a thunderous free-kick against Sporting in April. Eriksson believes he is the complete defender.

“He always had very good technique,” Eriksson says. “He could read the game and see danger early when he was 16 or 17 years old. He is 100% an athlete. He was the captain for the national teams, so I am not surprised that he has developed the way he has now. He is the best player you can get. He was quite big and strong for his age. You could see that he was a very good player and he could go far. He is one of the best defenders we have had in Sweden for a couple of years. I don’t see any weaknesses.”

With those kind of references, it is easy to see why Mourinho wanted him.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Unreal addition to the club.

Her boyfriend might prove useful to the team as well.

ashgabat

Come look at our Swedish girls instead!
Supports
Malmö FF
I have read somewhere, although I can't find it now, that he's a United-supporter since he was young, too! His GF Maja is pretty funny on Twitter and makes alot of fun of Victor. Hope Utd's PR team don't put a stop to that!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
10:37
Lindelof's goodbye.
United’s new defender has said thank you and goodbye to his former club with a post on Instagram, here’s what he said:

Dear Benfica Family,

I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for the magnificent 5 years I spent with you.

I put on my shirt with great pride and, hopefully, have conveyed to you in every game and every day my feeling.

It was a great pleasure to play for you. No doubt you have a very special place in my heart.

To all my colleagues and coaches that I have had over the years, thank you very much for your confidence and for the daily help that enabled me to become the man and the player that I am today.

To all those who have helped me daily and to all who work in the Club, my great thanks.

Thank you SL Benfica!

10:20

Red4Life_#7

Excellent signing! And coming from a sick Porto fan.
I don't know much about him apart from Youtube. Please tell us, why is he an excellent signing??

I like what I'm reading about him. Ball playing CB, sure it means we will stop our bad habit of lumping ball forward and play more from the back.
With Morata also good with the ball, think we will see much calmer and more pleasant to the eye United this season :drool:
This is what I'm hoping for, plus speed on the flanks. Persic will add to the team if we can negotiate the right price.

He and Bailly?

You all better look out for Marcus Rojo. That lad is the fastest improving center back in the world. He will have a say on United's center back pairings next season.
Rojo was incredible last season, it's great to have strong competition.

He was too expensive. I think the wait probably saved us about 20 million bucks.
How do you know this?? Explain pls :) As I heard that we didn't want to buy him while Benfica were in the middle of a dispute with his former club, they needed him until the end of the season and we were also confident our CBs could hold up until the end of the season.

TheSwedeFromSweden

Supports
Zlatan
Love how your media is going crazy over his girlfriend, writing articles about her, calling her a stunning beauty. I mean, she is obviously good looking, but to be fair not really anything special in Sweden. :lol:

Rohan

Great signing!
Looks like a cross between Mario Gomez and Dougal from Father Ted, tbh.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
There's got to be an Abba song we can use for him...

So far all i've got is:

There is someone at the back tonight
he's jumping hi
Lindelöf
A shining star for you and me
Alongside Bailly,
Lindelöf

Which is a bit shit.

TsuWave

Love how your media is going crazy over his girlfriend, writing articles about her, calling her a stunning beauty. I mean, she is obviously good looking, but to be fair not really anything special in Sweden. :lol:
Yeah in Sweden. In Manchester she's venus.

I kid, there are good looking women in Manchester :nervous:

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Yeah in Sweden. In Manchester she's venus.

I kid, there are good looking women in Manchester :nervous:
Michelle Keegan was the only one and she fecked off to London

kdmaka

With a strong defense set we can focus on our attacking play more, I'm sur
So in Sweden she is just a 6/10 ? Wow high standards there.

ilovethisgameahahah

English women are a solid 2/10 on average less beautiful than other Europeans, when i left the UK i was pleasantly surprised :D