Television Vikings, The Last Kingdom and similar shows that are better than Game of Thrones

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
You might enjoy "Roman Empire" narrated by Sean Bean. It's a documentary but it has a lot of re enacted scenes that make for an interesting watch. I binged each season. Hoping there will be more still.
It's the least accurate docu in history probably.

The women were hot af though.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
So I watched the first episode of The Last Kingdom and loved it but every other episode has been encoded wrong by all the different releases. It was shot at 25fps but all the BBC America rips are 23.9fps giving it a horrible judder. It makes me suspect that they broadcast it in yanktown without converting the frame rate and now it's unwatchable. Where else can I watch it?

Edit: ok I can pick it up fairly cheap on eBay. A solution.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
So I watched the first episode of The Last Kingdom and loved it but every other episode has been encoded wrong by all the different releases. It was shot at 25fps but all the BBC America rips are 23.9fps giving it a horrible judder. It makes me suspect that they broadcast it in yanktown without converting the frame rate and now it's unwatchable. Where else can I watch it?

Edit: ok I can pick it up fairly cheap on eBay. A solution.
Maybe try increasing the judder reduction/smoothing setting on your TV?

Andersons Dietician

The Last Kingdom is terrible. To even joke at the notion of it being anywhere near as good as GOT is nonsense.

S1-5 are excellent. There are even moments in the other seasons where it’s brilliant but it’s just that, moments.

Vikings was decent but again it’s no where near close and at a certain point it itself went off a cliff in terms of quality. There is nothing even close to the first 4 seasons of GOT.

Its just a shame it ruined itself with such a poor ending that I have no interest to go back and watch it again.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The Last Kingdom - I agree with you S1 isnt that great. I struggled to stick with it until the last part of the season and then giving S2 a shot anyway. It gets a lot better - so I'd suggest sticking with it a little longer, it's definitely one of those shows that needs a little time to get into its own.
Thanks by the way. Decided to give it another try and thoroughly enjoyed it – I'm at the end of the 3rd season at the moment. It's weird how much better it got – usually series only regress after a first season.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Thanks by the way. Decided to give it another try and thoroughly enjoyed it – I'm at the end of the 3rd season at the moment. It's weird how much better it got – usually series only regress after a first season.
Cool. Glad you did. Just finished the last season and thought if was great except for one nagging thing since S1...

Edit.. Spoiler tag not working?

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Picked up some cheap DVDs, so am in it now. I really like how sleazy it all is. Uhtrid is a drip but Brida has some bite to her. Alfred is a great creep character and the squalid diplomacy is lots of fun.

TrustInOle

Just finished The Last Kingdom, thoroughly enjoyed it and seems excellently paced, I never find myself bored from scene to scene as most events that are ongoing just grab your attention. Love Ulthred's band of merry men he has gathered :D shout out to Finan's witty dialogue.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I'm currently binging The Last Kingdom. Haven't watched Vikings yet. TLK is just simply fantastic. Fast faced, never a boring episode. Love all the characters. One of the best shows I've seen.

Mike Smalling

Eventually got tired of both Vikings and The Last Kingdom, but I stuck with the former much longer - probably 3 or 4 seasons.. Just couldn't into the storytelling in The Last Kingdom, and I thought the main character was incredibly annoying.