Villarreal’s defence

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I’ve not seen organisation like it. All their defensive actions are immaculate, its impossible to imagine them conceding a penalty, especially with Stevie Wonder refereeing.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's a wonder how Arsenal looked so... Arsenally under Emery...

Maybe it's just the club DNA...

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Once we started running at them they looked more suspect. We played into their hands for the majority of that half.

slored1

Gets an award for the deepest sitting defence in Europe. Might as well put two goalkeepers on. I am salty as feck, so this opinion might sound a bit stupid.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Makes me wary of Torres. Easy to look decent when all 4 defenders stay back and have 2 or 3 midfielders sitting 15 yards in front.

MattofManchester

Makes me wary of Torres. Easy to look decent when all 4 defenders stay back and have 2 or 3 midfielders sitting 15 yards in front.
Do they always sit this deep, or are they grossly aware that this team struggles against any team that sits back and excels against teams that push forward?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Do they always sit this deep, or are they grossly aware that this team struggles against any team that sits back and excels against teams that push forward?
Looked similar v Arsenal from what I saw too. Torres defends the near post well which I'd say isn't hard then I see Lindelof and Bailly struggle with it.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Welcome to the villarreal experience

They don't play like this usually btw, this is strictly "must win game against a superior opponent" stuff from emery

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
Not watching, but expect Utd to have this wrapped up...

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I’ve not seen organisation like it. All their defensive actions are immaculate, its impossible to imagine them conceding a penalty, especially with Stevie Wonder refereeing.
Our Alberto Moreno is on. Just waiting for the inevitable

Oranges038

Seen Burnley defend the same way. Nothing special about it if you ask me.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Gaspar is one of the best 1v1. Rashford can never take people on . He never concedes a penalty

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I thought Burnleys and Palaces exist only in England. I thought Laliga is all about technical way of doing things . Baffled !!

padr81

Supports
Man City
Kinda salty in here. Villareal parked the bus, Emery is known for it. They are a town with a population of 50k to expect them to take United on would have seen them trashed. Its clear Emery had done his homework and knows United can't break teams down if you nullify their pace in behind. Their is nothing special about their defence in particular, their manager just knew United weakness and exploited it.

With Harry Maguire, United win that game and were slightly unlucky all things considered.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Kinda salty in here. Villareal parked the bus, Emery is known for it. They are a town with a population of 50k to expect them to take United on would have seen them trashed. Its clear Emery had done his homework and knows United can't break teams down if you nullify their pace in behind. Their is nothing special about their defence in particular, their manager just knew United weakness and exploited it.

With Harry Maguire, United win that game and were slightly unlucky all things considered.
Yep, Utd have been really unlucky with injuries.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Congrats to Villarreal. They defended brilliantly. Their first every trophy, a club from a small town who have punched above their weight for about two decades now. It sucks we lost but its a great achievement for them.

ManUnitedCanuck

I’d say they were organized and did well, but how many teams do you see have all 10 of their outfield players camped within 30 yards of their goal??

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Aside from the fact they have fecking great defenders

padr81

Supports
Man City
Aside from the fact they have fecking great defenders
They have an ancient Raul Albiol who's no more than decent and certainly not what he was. Foyth is a Spurs reject... Pedraza was constantly shipped out on loan. How many of their defenders would start at Real? City? Chelsea? United? They have good defenders and Torres looks like he can make the step up. Thats it. Credit to them, but with a more attacking manager they get pumped today. Emery was outstanding today and played United like a violin, that was the big difference.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Agreed, Utd don't have the depth in defence. Even their fans will admit that.
Admit it? Most of our fan base won’t stop crying about it. We simultaneously have one of the worst squads in the league and one of the worst managers in the league. Yet -1 + -1 = 2nd.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Admit it? Most of our fan base won’t stop crying about it. We simultaneously have one of the worst squads in the league and one of the worst managers in the league. Yet -1 + -1 = 2nd.
You can see it, I can see it = new contract for Ole.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Albiol and Torres were great at the back I though (I know it's one of the 100 trending jinxs threads on here currently).

Can see why Torres is being looked at by a few clubs to see if he'll be this summer's Dias.

Have to say his penalty was incredible aswell considering he was 10th in line.

Thought Man. United would really get at their full backs but Foyth was really good with his positioning and you'd expect him to get a proper chance again at Spurs next seaon. LB was a bit weaker v Greenwood and overall smart from Emery to put two fresh ones on with about 15 minutes left of normal time, Man. United were completely nulified after that and just got into playing for penalties mindset a bit too easily.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Bailly was a disgrace. Those last 15 mins he spent on the pitch were abominable.

The one that killed me was when he was tending to his socks while Villarreal were attacking and almost in the box.

Just minutes before, he had casually passed the ball back to them.

Edit: WTF, how did I end up in this thread?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They have an ancient Raul Albiol who's no more than decent and certainly not what he was. Foyth is a Spurs reject... Pedraza was constantly shipped out on loan. How many of their defenders would start at Real? City? Chelsea? United? They have good defenders and Torres looks like he can make the step up. Thats it. Credit to them, but with a more attacking manager they get pumped today. Emery was outstanding today and played United like a violin, that was the big difference.
Raul Albiol is one of the smartest defenders around, one of the best at leading the line and is just generally fecking good. Pedraza had a fantastic season. Foyth started over Mario but both are good defenders

Pau Torres is a gem

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Completely different sides of course but with Ronaldo-Tevez-Berbatov-Rooney didn't Man. United have about four 0-0s in CL with them in two seasons? So even with SAF you couldn't find an answer v them in the past so not always that easy v certain sides.

They're generally a club that are tricky to take out in europe, well drilled and always have dangerous final third players. Did not lose a single game in europa this season according to comms which says it all.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Impressive defence and they have scored 100 goals this season yet still only finished 7th in the league. Very strange team
They don't play like this usually, much more open and aggressive and Gerard Moreno is their only really good forward

Ekeke

Albiol was great. Torres didnt have to be great because of that, did his bit as did the midfielders and Foyth was all over Rashford