Villarreal - Manchester United | EL Final Build-up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nori-

I was very confident about this fixture up until recently.

Recent results have me worried we will blow this. I really hope not. A trophy would be great for Ole + might convince a very players (Pogba, Bruno) that we can compete and sign new contracts.

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
Maguire on crutches has to play, he is better than all our CB’s put together.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
To be honest, I know very little about Villareal but I do know that if we play as we have in the past few games we can't expect anything other than defeat. If we go ahead and take our foot off the gas, we won't win; if we defend like clowns, we won't win; and if we go behind and Ole does his rabbit-in-the-headlights impersonation, we will lose.

If we pas properly, if Pogba and or Bruno have top, top games and give Cavani chances, we should win. PS there is zero chance that Maguire will be fit/match fit for the game so let's hope we are preparing for that fact

Nero

This will be a walkover for us. Trophy is already in the museum.

GueRed

Our underbelly looks so soft without Maguire.

Hoping the attack will click on the night and our firepower will be enough to see us through.

Need that trophy. It's been four long years since the last one.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
What's the status on McFred - saw some bits on them being injured yesterday?

Without them/the gaping Maguire hole at the back, we're looking a little thin for this.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
A big reason behind our recent form is that none of these games matter and the focus of the group will be on the final. Of course it's worrying that we've not won for a few games, but if we turn up and play well next week, then we will beat Villarreal.

We absolutely hammered Sociedad who are above them in the table and Villarreal looked nothing special against Arsenal, who should've gone through.

If we play to our potential and take our chances, then we'll win quite comfortably

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
A big reason behind our recent form is that none of these games matter and the focus of the group will be on the final. Of course it's worrying that we've not won for a few games, but if we turn up and play well next week, then we will beat Villarreal.

We absolutely hammered Sociedad who are above them in the table and Villarreal looked nothing special against Arsenal, who should've gone through.

If we play to our potential and take our chances, then we'll win quite comfortably
I’d like to believe that narrative but a team like United should be motivated to win no matter what the circumstance, especially in front of a home crowd for the first time in ages.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

Absolutely unacceptable for a Man United Team.

That line up yesterday is probably the line up for the final - and struggled against a relegated team.

Attitude is everything

sewey89

I’d like to believe that narrative but a team like United should be motivated to win no matter what the circumstance, especially in front of a home crowd for the first time in ages.

That line up yesterday is probably the line up for the final - and struggled against a relegated team.

Attitude is everything
Absolutely agree with both points. But it's human nature isn't it? There is a big game coming up that you're focused on so you might lose a bit of edge in a couple of meaningless games?

The intensity certainly hasn't been there in the last few, since the Villa game. I think it's a combination of these games not really mattering and Maguire being out.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I’m just thankful we’re not facing Le Arse. Losing to Villarreal will hurt a few weeks. Losing to those game raising fam tv turds would hurt for years.
Imagine those feckers getting Champions League football at our expense. No thanks!

Craig Ward

We struggle to turn and up play well for 90 minutes currently, so I disagree with this logic completely.

We have a habit of starting poorly, we struggle to kill easy games off and our only good CB is missing.

It's a very winnable game, we should have enough to beat them easily. But rarely win routinely and we are going into this game on a bad run in poor form.

Not ideal prep

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Attitude is everything
City lost to Brighton yesterday. Teams are all on holiday at the moment, Fulham wanted 1 last bit of glory before they're back in the championship.

Let's not pretend Villareal will be easy either, this is the first ever European final. We will need everybody to be on their game.

McGrathsipan

City lost to Brighton yesterday. Teams are all on holiday at the moment, Fulham wanted 1 last bit of glory before they're back in the championship.

Let's not pretend Villareal will be easy either, this is the first ever European final. We will need everybody to be on their game.
City won the league and are in the CL final in a couple of weeks. They can deserve a holiday.
Weve been shite for weeks - the Liverpool game was as bad. its worrying that the cycles of good and bad are becoming a pattern

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
City won the league and are in the CL final in a couple of weeks. They can deserve a holiday.
Weve been shite for weeks - the Liverpool game was as bad. its worrying that the cycles of good and bad are becoming a pattern
Oh I agree we should never be so wishy washy, we definitely need to fix that for next year if we want to challenge for the league.

We have the top end ability to win the league, we just don't have that rhythm.

theklr

Oh come on, first big game without Maguire against the best pressing and very potent attacking line?

After having not more than a day or two to prepare?

Klopp stated that without Maguire you could just shut down Shaw and we'd have very little progression or actual play.

Im not saying it wasnt a bad performance, but there was alot of mitigating factors.

McGrathsipan

Oh come on, first big game without Maguire against the best pressing and very potent attacking line?

After having not more than a day or two to prepare?

Klopp stated that without Maguire you could just shut down Shaw and we'd have very little progression or actual play.

Im not saying it wasnt a bad performance, but there was alot of mitigating factors.
Ok - what about Sheffield United? Explain that one.

Our good form/bad form cycle is getting more apparent dont you agree?

bsCallout

You've really set them off.

prateik

I wouldnt worry too much about the recent form..

End of a long compressed season .. no one is going to push too hard in meaningless games with a cup final a week / 10 days away.. The recent games mean nothing.

Maguire back fully fit would be huge. If he isnt fully fit, he shouldnt start..
Fitting Pogba in is going to be a challenge.

Crustanoid

Well the last time this scenario panned out it didn’t end well for us did it????

We get through to a European final and the second semi features another English side vs a Spanish side. Most fans don’t want to play the English side in the final and we ended up getting our wish, but then get royally dicked by the Spanish side in the final.

Conclusion: we’re getting royally dicked in the final

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Well the last time this scenario panned out it didn’t end well for us did it????

We get through to a European final and the second semi features another English side vs a Spanish side. Most fans don’t want to play the English side in the final and we ended up getting our wish, but then get royally dicked by the Spanish side in the final.

Conclusion: we’re getting royally dicked in the final
I hope Barcelona don’t turn up in this final

AshRK

It will be a damn tough cagey game. I hope we make it easy but expect a tight game. Villarreal under emery are a good team, anyone expecting it to be a cakewalk is just out of reality.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
United have had 2nd place locked up for a while and have the europa league final in a couple of weeks. Our loss of form is literally identical to the reason for their loss of form. We both have a cup final coming up, and pretty much no realistic run of results would change our league standing for a few weeks now.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Easy to say that, different in reality where the level of professional football is so high and there isn't a whole lot between some teams. When you have your eye on a cup final and knowing that no result will really have an impact on your league finish, it's very hard to really give 100% to the last minute. Like we played Liverpool with no fans when they were desperate for a win and we just played for pride. It's a big difference when there generally isn't a lot between the 2 sides quality wise, and the winner will generally be the one who needs it more.

FatTails

We need to win. No one wants to see the internet flooded with lame “good ebening” memes again.

sewey89

2016/17.. Last 4 games of the season.. Lost 2, Drew 1, Won our last one.

Basically, if we beat Wolves, we win.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Absolutely, they SHOULD be motivated, but perhaps some are not. You cannot force players to give it 100% in matches, it comes down to their own pysche, and character, which is why the characteristics of a player is just as important as their ability.

bosskeano

I’m scared to say this because negativity/honesty gets you banned on here, but I’ll just be honest. If Maguire isn’t fit I think we’ll lose this. We’re entering another terrible period in the Ole rollercoaster. It’s been like this for the entire time he’s been here. Great, awful, great, awful. If history repeats its self we won’t win again until next season. Which would mean losing this.
i don't get this statement whatsoever. Since project restart, we've been one of the better sides in the premier league in terms of form and quality of play. Yes, we've had bad patches but that is to be expected. You don't finish top 2 and say it's been a rollercoaster the entire time, that's just rubbish. You want to speak of rollercoaster seasons then you might want to ask a chelsea, arsenal or scum supporter as they'll be able to speak volumes on that.

ffs....get behind your manager and players and stop acting like the sky is falling on our season.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
We'll struggle without Maguire, mainly because we have nobody else at CB with some calming common sense. Lindelof repeatedly got rinsed again yesterday. Watching him at the ground instead of on TV again reminded me of why I don't trust him at all.

Anyway, I hope I am wrong, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried.

TrueRed1999

Somehow bleaker than Nostradamus
Just win. I don't even expect a good performance but the victory is a must.
I am so not confident of beating Villareal after the last few games, Maguire has been integral to us and without him the defence is a shambles. The attitude and form of late has been a joke and given that Fulham already relegated played better than us in most parts yesterday and showed how poor they were as if they were a good side like Liverpool who did do the same but had the quality to prove so. It would have been a shambolic embarrassment. Our Old Trafford form is the worst its been since 1990 and Ole and the Club need this trophy more than ever after this campaign. I Hope to God we win but can't see us winning when Villareal need to win to get into Europe after a not so great season for them in their domestic league. We will need to score early to be in with a good chance of winning this trophy.

Flexdegea

I am so not confident of beating Villareal after the last few games, Maguire has been integral to us and without him the defence is a shambles. The attitude and form of late has been a joke and given that Fulham already relegated played better than us in most parts yesterday and showed how poor they were as if they were a good side like Liverpool who did do the same but had the quality to prove so. It would have been a shambolic embarrassment. Our Old Trafford form is the worst its been since 1990 and Ole and the Club need this trophy more than ever after this campaign. I Hope to God we win but can't see us winning when Villareal need to win to get into Europe after a not so great season for them in their domestic league. We will need to score early to be in with a good chance of winning this trophy.

You seem really positive about the game, hopefully the players share the same confidence and aren't totally bricking em before a ball is kicked

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Maguire missing will be a blow but make no mistake about it we go into the game as heavy favorites and rightly so. For all the organization and coaching of Villareal we are the ones with Pogba, Bruno, Rashford and Greenwood. I honestly couldn't name you anyone from their team apart from Torres and Bacca. Our squad is full of international quality and I believe the failures of last year should motivate the team. It will probably be nervy and decided by one goal but I'm going for 2-1 united.

Bertie 2 Hats

I'm hoping that Samuel Chukwueze doesn't recover in time from the hamstring tear he picked up against Arsenal at the Emirates. I think he's the one player who would cause our defence massive problems. If we play up to the standard of how we did against Real Sociedad in the 1st leg then i can see us winning without any problem.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Who's their danger men/ones to watch? (Other than the CB we've been linked with)

Status
Not open for further replies.