Villarreal - Manchester United | EL Final Build-up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GueRed

Our flat end of season is starting to remind me of the end of the 2017/18 season under Mourinho.

Hopefully we win our Cup Final this time.

redshaw

Yeah that crazy match/final against Deportivo Alaves. Bayern Munich beat Valencia in the Champions league final that season as well.
Our Jordi Cruyff had a very good game against Liverpool, thought he was going to win it for them, crazy game.

Anustart89

Lot of eggs going into this basket.

If we somehow lost the final having finished the season really strongly.. it would have been upsetting but not the end of the world. If we lose the final now having completely gone to pot in the league it's going to put a ton of pressure on Ole if we then start next season badly.
Don't need to worry, just blame the Euros and a lack of pre-season and claim that £200m of signings will compensate for fatigue/no pre-season and it'll all be grand.

always_hoping

This may be so but English football is quite a bit ahead of Spanish football right now imo
Liverpool thought the same before Real Madrid beat them 3-1 on agg a few weeks ago. Considering the poor results United have got all season against mediocre sides it don't think the strength of either league really matters for this final.

laughtersassassin

Liverpool thought the same before Real Madrid beat them 3-1 on agg a few weeks ago. Considering the poor results United have got all season against mediocre sides it don't think the strength of either league really matters for this final.
Well it does to me. To not win I'd see as nothing but a failure.

Final are finals and anyone can win BUT there are finals you should win (This one) Finals you should lose (Barca) and finals where it's a 50-50 toss up.

So from my fan perspective it's a game we must win but also a game we should win. Let's hope we can do that

Anustart89

You forgot these 5 games within one week.
I didn't forget them at all. I wouldn't blame fatigue for our current performances like some are quick to do, it's just flat and void of ideas when facing a packed defence, same as it's been for large parts of the season. We did rotate and give the majority of players a rest against Leicester, but it's hardly as if that produced a performance against Liverpool, did it?

I mean, when it's the third season running where we finish with a whimper under the same management, surely you're allowed to question the squad utilisation over the course of an entire season and the ability to motivate the players come the most important part of the season, right?

Godfather

I didn't forget them at all. I wouldn't blame fatigue for our current performances like some are quick to do, it's just flat and void of ideas when facing a packed defence, same as it's been for large parts of the season. We did rotate and give the majority of players a rest against Leicester, but it's hardly as if that produced a performance against Liverpool, did it?

I mean, when it's the third season running where we finish with a whimper under the same management, surely you're allowed to question the squad utilisation over the course of an entire season and the ability to motivate the players come the most important part of the season, right?
It was tongue in cheek mate. I agree with you

The Hilton

Hopefully we rest everyone against Wolves and go into the final fresh.

We've been done by teams having a much longer rest in several cup games recently - Chelsea in the FA Cup semi last season, and Leicester in the QF this season.

With Villereal only playing on Saturday, it's really important we go into it as fresh as possible.

always_hoping

Well it does to me. To not win I'd see as nothing but a failure.

Final are finals and anyone can win BUT there are finals you should win (This one) Finals you should lose (Barca) and finals where it's a 50-50 toss up.

So from my fan perspective it's a game we must win but also a game we should win. Let's hope we can do that
United play to the best of their abilities they will win. Clear concerns about the current form but like I said already I hope it's a case of this group of players are minding themselves with a clear focus on this final.

izec

Hopefully we rest everyone against Wolves and go into the final fresh.

We've been done by teams having a much longer rest in several cup games recently - Chelsea in the FA Cup semi last season, and Leicester in the QF this season.

With Villereal only playing on Saturday, it's really important we go into it as fresh as possible.
If Ole plays the first team, i would sack him after the game. He cant be that stupid, the league was done weeks ago for us

The Hilton

If Ole plays the first team, i would sack him after the game. He cant be that stupid, the league was done weeks ago for us
Haha steady on, a little hyperbole but you're right that it'll be crazy to do so - nothing to play for with 2nd being mathematically settled.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I’m scared to say this because negativity/honesty gets you banned on here, but I’ll just be honest. If Maguire isn’t fit I think we’ll lose this. We’re entering another terrible period in the Ole rollercoaster. It’s been like this for the entire time he’s been here. Great, awful, great, awful. If history repeats its self we won’t win again until next season. Which would mean losing this.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Not as confident as previously but I also think our players have played a lot of football which is both physically but also mentally tiring.

You can almost expect them to switch off and use up their last remaining juice for the final. Most of them will also play the Euros in a month. Obviously, that assumes they can switch on and off which may be a stretch.

At the end of the day, I think we'll have just enough to beat a decent Villareal side although it won't be comfortable by any means.

Eddy_JukeZ

I’m scared to say this because negativity/honesty gets you banned on here, but I’ll just be honest. If Maguire isn’t fit I think we’ll lose this. We’re entering another terrible period in the Ole rollercoaster. It’s been like this for the entire time he’s been here. Great, awful, great, awful. If history repeats its self we won’t win again until next season. Which would mean losing this.
I think a loss in the EL final would see the biggest implosion ever on the cafe.

All out civil war :lol:

Hopefully we don't lose.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think a loss in the EL final would see the biggest implosion ever on the cafe.

All out civil war :lol:

Hopefully we don't lose.
If we play at our best we should win comfortably but I’ve seen this story several times under Ole. Once we lose momentum we take a very long time to regain it. I’m very very worried we’ll lose this. I don’t think we’ll win at wolves, which would mean 4 games without a win coming into this. Not good.

GledTheRed

All the Dortmund fans will be watching with their popcorn, CL qualification and Pokal salivating at the prospect of us choking.

They'd love to see it.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
if that were true you'd thankfully of been binned off months ago

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Losing is not an option. Feck, I can't even bear the thought of it.

Statue of Limitations

I just don't have any doubts that we lift the cup - we are not facing a very good side.
I am getting similar vibes to the Ajax final, they just weren't up to our standards at all.

Form doesn't matter for games like this at all. If it did, they would be nowhere near the final.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Think we'll be bang on form on the night and win this comfortably enough.
Someone always says before a game we will win it comfortably enough / hammer them but we hardly ever do it.

Robbie Boy

Someone always says before a game we will win it comfortably enough / hammer them but we hardly ever do it.
So what? We are a better team and should beat them. I definitely don't think we'll 'hammer' them as they're no mugs, and have some good players and a decent manager. But I still see us winning it comfortably enough. I'm not going to jump on the negative bandwagon because of a few shite results.

Last edited:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I’m just thankful we’re not facing Le Arse. Losing to Villarreal will hurt a few weeks. Losing to those game raising fam tv turds would hurt for years.

always_hoping

Yes it's like clock work. I'm not sure if those posters are serious or simply choosing to ignore that United this season and last have failed to beat or lost to number of sides that are weaker than Villarreal.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
I'm a very good poster on here.

Call me crazy, crazy for you baby but I'm expecting the final to go a lot smoother than our current performanes indicate. Bruno, Pogba and Cavani smoke is gonna be too much for them. Cavani to bag a brace and Bruno to pop up with the other. 3-0 win :angel:

Bertie Wooster

I'm quite new here but the thing that's most irritating me is how some posters, understandably objecting to blatant Ole out posts, now seem to unfairly lump any posts that includes any concern, worry, etc, as coming from an Ole out viewpoint and being worthy of criticism.

Ole himself has said, "We know that we are at the end of a season, we are tired... We've lost eight points in a period we should be bouncing, going into the next game looking forward to it, looking forward to the final, going into it confident...”

That's pretty much what plenty are perfectly reasonably worried about with our form going into the final, yet they're being mocked for 'being OTT about games that don't matter' - despite Ole, Gary Neville, etc, acknowledging that going into a final with form and confidence is much better than limping into it off the back of defeats and tired performances.

I'm absolutely pro Ole, and I love cup competitions so I've been desperate for us to win the Europa League from the second we dropped into it. But, with that in mind, there's nothing wrong with being a little worried and apprehensive about our form and fitness going into the final when you've got Ole himself saying similar. If it's a good enough point for the manager of United to say, it's a valid enough point for a fan to make on a fans forum.

Giggs86

Don't feck around and don't rest anyone. Every time we are trying to be smart and rest players for an important game we end up playing at a pre-season friendly level.

Status
Not open for further replies.