Virgil van Dijk | Performances

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
De Ligt also. Ake while bad today, is usually decent too.
De Ligt is just based on reputation now isn't he? He hasn't been good at all in club level for a few seasons hence him not getting a regular game at Bayern.

Will probably end up somewhere like Chelsea or PSG soon.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Holland got a deluge of top quality CBs, has 3atb been abandoned with LVG going or does it still get wheeled out on occasions? I know it goes against your football heritage but VDV and Micky Van De Ven been probably the two best CBs in the league. De Vrij still very good and Botman dipped a little at Newcastle but was very good last season.
Playing 3 at the back doesn't go against their heritage at all? They've always used it

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Playing 3 at the back doesn't go against their heritage at all? They've always used it
4-3-3 is the Rinus Michels/Cruyff heritage system.

There's a book on it if you want to order it: ;)

Coaching the Dutch 4-3-3 – Coaching Dutch Soccer

From what I remember there was backlash when Van Gaal went 3-5-2 fully going into 2014 World cup but that was mainly to cover their lack of elite CBs at the time (had Ron Vlaar and Martins Indi as starters in those times).

It worked with them getting to within penalty shootout of the final and since then it's been a mixture with lack of world class striking talent so grudging acceptance until they develop a world class striker or two.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
4-3-3 is the Rinus Michels/Cruyff heritage system.

There's a book on it if you want to order it: ;)

Coaching the Dutch 4-3-3 – Coaching Dutch Soccer

From what I remember there was backlash when Van Gaal went 3-5-2 fully going into 2014 World cup but that was mainly to cover their lack of elite CBs at the time (had Ron Vlaar and Martins Indi as starters in those times).

It worked with them getting to within penalty shootout of the final and since then it's been a mixture with lack of world class striking talent so grudging acceptance until they develop a world class striker or two.
Have a look at how Cruyff's barcelona, or Ajax or the Netherlands of the 70s, or Van Gaal's Ajax in the 90s, lined up ;)

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
He has been in imperious form, especially he's committed to committing tackles :D, I know it's funny.

There is a tackle he did to stop a pass from KDB to Foden in the first half, it was sublime defending. I think he's the main factor to Liverpool wild dog pressing.
Liverpool attackers know now, VVD will sweep off anything behind them so they just press and press and press.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Have a look at how Cruyff's barcelona, or Ajax or the Netherlands of the 70s, or Van Gaal's Ajax in the 90s, lined up ;)
Bit too young for that! The fantastic Dutch national team of late 90s/early 2000s always played 4-3-3 in the major tournaments unless I'm mistaken? (And Van Gaal was managing them then).

Was going to stick the Guardian article in the above post for the Michels era in the 70s:

What formation did Holland's Total Football side actually play? | Football | The Guardian

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Holland got a deluge of top quality CBs, has 3atb been abandoned with LVG going or does it still get wheeled out on occasions? I know it goes against your football heritage but VDV and Micky Van De Ven been probably the two best CBs in the league. De Vrij still very good and Botman dipped a little at Newcastle but was very good last season.
We're still playing with 3/5 at the back yeah.

We have plenty of Cb's indeed. Out of em all Stefan de Vrij has actually been the best performing one in Orange (though he's had a lot of injuries at key moments).

De Ligt on the other hand has been dire for the national team.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Our '74 Netherlands team played 4-3-3. Or have I always been entirely wrong about that??

Cruijff is definitely a 4-3-3 guy.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He was very good today. Has kept things together through the injuries as a captain should.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Our '74 Netherlands team played 4-3-3. Or have I always been entirely wrong about that??

Cruijff is definitely a 4-3-3 guy.
It started as a 4-3-3, then morphed into a 343. Same story in '78. Cruyff and Van Gaal in the 90s just played 343 straight up. Van Gaal at times would do the opposite, play a 343 that was really a 433

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
He's using his reading of the game and committing to tackles. He doesn't have the same freakish pace he once had for his size and build. He's defintely adjusted really well and seems to concentrate far better than he ever did.

Stadjer

When Koeman became the manager of the national team he claimed that he was going to change the style after van Gaal. He tried our 'normal' 4-3-3 but we conceded way too many goals. He reverted back to the van Gaal tactic with 3 at the back. Ake and van Dijk seem to be sure of their spot and the third spot is between de Ligt (who isnt great in a 3 at the back system), Timber (who has been injured all season), Geertruida has played there (but he is quite unproven at the highest level). De Vrij has been overlooked quite a bit for our national team over the years. Eventhough de Ligt hasnt been great for our national team he did cause that de Vrij had to sit on the bench a lot even when de Vrij was the best defender in the Serie A.

I do really like van de Ven but he is more for the left side. He competes with Ake and van Dijk so i dont think he will become a starter in the near future. I think it will be Timber, van Dijk and Ake when Timber will come back from his injury.

ShoePolish

Only one team buzzing with the result, heh.

Was it me, or was he trying to footrace Rashford on 3rd goal when 10 yards away from goal?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Neither Amad or Garnacho could dribble past him though.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
One team was trying to play the game and fortunately that happened you btec Rio.

criticalanalysis

He's very good at baiting people into over running or running away from goal because he's so big and athletic. However, he's really passive when it comes to closing down shots and getting closer when a shot is taken. Lindelof-esque in those moments.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He was their worst defender today. He was sleeping for their first goal, why wasn't he closing down Garnacho? Maybe didn't want to lose a dribble? He was shite for all our goals.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He never looks like he’s actively marking a player. He’s not a defender in the box, he’s a supervisor.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He's very good at baiting people into over running or running away from goal because he's so big and athletic. However, he's really passive when it comes to closing down shots and getting closer when a shot is taken. Lindelof-esque in those moments.
He trusts his athleticism to get him close enough to bother the shot and close down angles and trusts his gk to take care of closing the other angle. It's defence by playing the odds, which on the whole is pretty smart. Occasionally the striker will hit it perfect and score a worldie - like Lautaro Martinez at Anfield - but the majority of the time it works, and is mucj less riskier than committing to a challenge. Especially so when he has Alisson behind him.

He's genuinely one of the best 1vs1 defenders ever, on the ball at least

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He never looks like he’s actively marking a player. He’s not a defender in the box, he’s a supervisor.
The advantage of being able to go from one side of the box to the other in 3 strides

TsuWave

Rashford always dunking on him

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Never has a defender had more praise for just standing there watching attackers.

Wish more attackers would ignore his rep and just take him on.

criticalanalysis

He trusts his athleticism to get him close enough to bother the shot and close down angles and trusts his gk to take care of closing the other angle. It's defence by playing the odds, which on the whole is pretty smart. Occasionally the striker will hit it perfect and score a worldie - like Lautaro Martinez at Anfield - but the majority of the time it works, and is mucj less riskier than committing to a challenge. Especially so when he has Alisson behind him.

He's genuinely one of the best 1vs1 defenders ever, on the ball at least
As you say, it's playing by percentages and it's very effective. I play 5/7 aside a lot and I'm not particularly nimble or strong but I always show players on the outside to the point I will 'give' them a yard of space. Then as I know they can only do one of several things (go outside, take an extra touch or shoot etc) I will go across and close the space/block and not allow them to do anything comfortable. You'd have to have Messi/Mbappe level of first touch and acceleration to really do anything 'good' with that space. Not that I'm comparing myself to VVD or anything..

Anyways, yes he's great at those 1 vs 1 situations but his lack of closing down and getting tight is quite poor. He 'gets away' with it because Liverpool don't get attacked a lot and him slowing a player means, it allows his team mates to counter press/close the space, so it doesn't get punished as much. As I mentioned though, his shot blocking in the penalty box today was Lindelof-esque; really passive and non-committal.

To be fair, I think his ACL injury has taken away some of his ridiculous athleticism where maybe nowadays, he isn't as interested in duelling as much physically or throwing himself about (for last second interceptions/blocks etc). Reminds of Rio's later years where he became more mature and stepped in after reading the situation.

Last edited:

OldSchoolManc

I think he could definitely be the mainstay of the Liverpool defence for 3 more years :smirk:
After all, he is legend. Stick with him Liverpool, he will carry you through post Klopp

IRELANDUNITED

Will there be an inquest by Sky as to how this Liverpool team, led by there immortal captain and greatest defender of all time could concede 4 goals against this toothless United attack?