Virgil van Dijk | Performances

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Looks like the entire Liverpool defensive setup helps him a lot and boost his abilities

Charles Miller

First goal i think it was De Ligt who slipped. Second goal VVD probably should do more but it was a fantastic shoot from Gnabry tbf. I dont know if he is showing arrogance there. What i see is all Dutch players look irritated because they are losing, can't control the game, want to take the ball back fast but the referee gives soft faults all the time.

Josh 76

Looks like the entire Liverpool defensive setup helps him a lot and boost his abilities
Totally agree.
Klopp plays 3 holding midfielders that protect the defence, as there front 3 get all their goals. There is no need for the other 7 outfield players to over commit and leave gaps. This is way VVD looks like the best Centre back in the history of football.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Emperor Palpatine approves of this thread. Let the hatred flow through you.

Admittedly, he was poor tonight, but our entire defense had no idea how to handle the movement of Sané tonight, who's fecking brilliant.

Robbie Boy

Aye, seems the narratives already been written that he’s the GOAT. He’s been mentioned in a poll as the “greatest Dutch footballer in the epl ever” ffs. :houllier:
The media have pushed for the narrative that he’s some sort of demigod since he arrived at Liverpool. He’s a very good player but some of the hyperbole is getting silly at this stage.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The media have pushed for the narrative that he’s some sort of demigod since he arrived at Liverpool. He’s a very good player but some of the hyperbole is getting silly at this stage.
Yep, I think he’s class and I’d love him at United tbh. (that might also say more about our current options :lol:).

But yeah, the hype machine literally is in overdrive with VVD.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It’s probably because they were so shite in defence before he signed.

Robbie Boy

Yep, I think he’s class and I’d love him at United tbh. (that might also say more about our current options :lol:).

But yeah, the hype machine literally is in overdrive with VVD.
I’ve rated him since his Celtic days and always found him quite likable. But honestly, he’s turned into such an arrogant ass since he joined Liverpool. Guess it comes with the territory in joining such a club.

The Liverpool bias media have seriously blown up the hype of VVD into epic proportions at this stage. It’s really just boring now. There’s a serious dearth of good CB options around so naturally because he’s a PL player, he has to be the best around.

Josep Dowling

Just seen the replay. Hardly a mistake, more a class finish by Gnabry. Makes one minor mistake and now he’s not that great anymore... grow up. Easily been the best CB in the league this season.

El Jefe

I can't be the only one who's disgusted by his posturing for the whole 90mins. I get that he's great at organising a back four but all game he's shouting and pointing at team mates telling them what to do or where to be for every single pass. As if that not enough, he throws a mini strop if what he wanted doesn't happen.

He's a great defender but he seems to be getting a bit too big for his boots atm.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I dont know him in English media, but he's a very introvert and shy person when he's on Dutch TV. Almost a bit awkward really.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I’ve rated him since his Celtic days and always found him quite likable. But honestly, he’s turned into such an arrogant ass since he joined Liverpool. Guess it comes with the territory in joining such a club.

The Liverpool bias media have seriously blown up the hype of VVD in epic proportions at this stage. It’s really just boring now. There’s a serious dearth of good CB options around so naturally because he’s a PL player, he has to be the best around.
There’s something in the water over there. Whatever it is, it’s also amazing for getting your teeth straightened and whitened!

Robbie Boy

Just seen the replay. Hardly a mistake, more a class finish by Gnabry. Makes one minor mistake and now he’s not that great anymore... grow up. Easily been the best CB in the league this season.
He has such stiff competition to get that accolade.

Ban

Who said he's no great anymore? That grow to part is a bit silly. It can't be mentioned when he has a bad game?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Klopp has also tightened up his system hence they score less and their football is pretty shit to watch competed to what it was.
Signing Robertson was really important too .. he's a competent left back, Alisson too has helped a lot, a reliable keeper steadies the backline a hell of a lot.

But yeah, it's pretty clear it's not just Van Djik single handedly making them defensively competent. They've clearly shifted to a more pragmatic approach this season and have 3 central midfielders who are boring and do a shift, so it's relatively rare he's exposed, particularly when Fabinho is covering.

All that said though, he's very clearly a brilliant centre back. When he is exposed 99% of the time he deals with it brilliantly, he's physically perfect for the role he plays and he's comfortable in possession. He's obviously been the best in the league, and whilst I don't watch enough foreign football to claim he's the best worldwide, who is meant to be better? Guys like Varane are mentioned a lot, but they make mistakes all the time as well.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Who said he's no great anymore? That grow to part is a bit silly. It can't be mentioned when he has a bad game?
Mentioned, sure.

But you don't think the gleeful rush to go 'haha best cb in the world xD' whenever he makes a small mistake is a little bit sad? Especially when it's not even mistakes for Liverpool.

It's a tad silly. It would be like Arsenal having a Kane thread on their main forum and every time he misses a chance they bump it and laugh at him. It just comes across as a bit petty when he's clearly been incredible season and no player is not going to have bad moments/games. It's especially sad when some of the moments he's being laughed at can barely even be classified as bad defending.

marktan

I dont know him in English media, but he's a very introvert and shy person when he's on Dutch TV. Almost a bit awkward really.
Seen a couple of interviews of him and he banters pretty well in English. Maybe he's got an English grand parent or something and he can switch over to us? :drool:

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
He’s more or less the same in the English media, the whole there’s something in the water over there thing gets peddled out about literally any of our players/managers regardless of if it’s true. It’s been said on the cafe for years :lol:.... rivalry eh

RedCurry

He needed to get tighter to his man especially when they were outside the box. Seemed too lazy to get close, maybe he didn’t think Gnabry had that finish in him. Good players make mistakes, I don’t read too much into that.

Ban

Mentioned, sure.

But you don't think the gleeful rush to go 'haha best cb in the world xD' whenever he makes a small mistake is a little bit sad? Especially when it's not even mistakes for Liverpool.

It's a tad silly. It would be like Arsenal having a Kane thread on their main forum and every time he misses a chance they bump it and laugh at him. It just comes across as a bit petty when he's clearly been incredible season and no player is not going to have bad moments/games. It's especially sad when some of the moments he's being laughed at can barely even be classified as bad defending.
On the other hand people cream themselves over him every week. So what if some jump to criticize him. It's a football forum, these kind of things are a norm. :)

gaucho_10

Totally agree.
Klopp plays 3 holding midfielders that protect the defence, as there front 3 get all their goals. There is no need for the other 7 outfield players to over commit and leave gaps. This is way VVD looks like the best Centre back in the history of football.
Which is why Ramos is the best defender in modern football. He's exposed all the time and he clears 95% of those situations while having the aditional X factors in being a leader and scoring goals.

St Red

KRAP
The Liverpool bias media have seriously blown up the hype of VVD into epic proportions at this stage.
When a player as good as Rio Ferdinand, live on TV, calls him the best CB in the world right now, people generally take notice.

Or is he in on this Liverpool bias media too?

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
When a player as good as Rio Ferdinand, live on TV, calls him the best CB in the world right now, people generally take notice.

I don't watch enough European football to make a call on other CBs but it is clear that he has been miles ahead of any other CB in England this season absolutely. Over the past couple of seasons there has been a group of CBs who have been very good / the top ones in the league (Alderwereild, Vertonghen, Laporte etc) but Van Dijk has clearly gone up a level.

However saying that, I do think in order to cement these "best in the world / Europe" claims that you need to win some silverware.

Robbie Boy

Probably. It's like a **** at this stage.

St Red

KRAP
I don't watch enough European football to make a call on other CBs but it is clear that he has been miles ahead of any other CB in England this season absolutely. Over the past couple of seasons there has been a group of CBs who have been very good / the top ones in the league (Alderwereild, Vertonghen, Laporte etc) but Van Dijk has clearly gone up a level.

However saying that, I do think in order to cement these "best in the world / Europe" claims that you need to win some silverware.
The most prolific striker in Premier League history says hello.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Think he's talking about Shearer.
I thought too, but was wondering when he was regarded as the best player/striker in the world. In any case he won PL with Blackburn.

Stop questioning things Just accept that VVD is the bestest player ever and do as your told.
He is superb player but the overrating is just hilarious. Best Dutch player to ever play in the league, using some dummy stats like "never dribbled past" which is completely different from what they assume.

St Red

KRAP
Stop questioning things Just accept that VVD is the bestest player ever and do as your told.
I agree, the hype of VVD, and many other players down the years is sometimes way over the top.
He's very good, he's helped to massively improve us. I'm happy with that.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
You’d still haven’t answered who you meant?
I’m guessing shearer too, do Liverpool not count the premier league as a trophy anymore :lol: it’s been a while mind.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Shearer was prolific but was he ever touted as the "best in the world / Europe"? Maybe in his Blackburn / early Newcastle days - but then again he won a league title whilst at Blackburn so he's not the best comparison in this case

Robbie Boy

I agree, the hype of VVD, and many other players down the years is sometimes way over the top.
He's very good, he's helped to massively improve us. I'm happy with that.
We’re on the same page so. I’ve always been a fan and loved watching him at Celtic as he was far too good for the SPL. He’s really improved over the past few years too. But some of the hyperbole about him is bordering on ridiculous at this point.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Shearer was prolific but was he ever touted as the "best in the world / Europe"? Maybe in his Blackburn / early Newcastle days - but then again he won a league title whilst at Blackburn so he's not the best comparison in this case
Shearer was a fantastic striker. Probably the best in Europe for a few seasons prior to his knee injury.