Virgil Van dijk: UEFA Player of the year

mwake

Supports
Liverpool
I don't think many footballers' feelings will be hurt if you tell them Messi is the best in the world. Maybe Ronaldo would, but that is only because he is the only one capable of justifying a comparison. VVD had a great season, no doubt, but I think only a very small minority would claim he is an overall greater footballer than Messi.
I feel this VVD vs Messi thing opens up a debate about the value of defenders compared to attackers.

Don't we generally value midfielders and attackers over defenders as if what defender do is easy and simplistic in comparison? Admittedly I would rather watch clips of Ronaldinho over clips of VVD but is someones attacking skills a measure of how good that that player is overall?

Another issue...Its clear there is a lack of world-class CBs in the world who can play the modern game as it is being played now, is it because being a decent CB is actually a more difficult discipline than it was say 20+ years ago and if so is that another reason why VVD is seen as extra uniquely special? I mean if VVD ws playing in the 70s, 80s or 90s he would have been in the good company of other world-class centre backs... but in todays game the high lines and athletism required, his ability to make it look easy is notably outstanding.

MS4

Imagine..
..........De Gea...........
AWB-VVD-Maguire-Shaw

Damn son