Virgil Van Dijk

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucky

I know he recently extended his contract but with Koeman being linked with Everton, we should be in for this guy. Smalling and Van Dijk partnership would be awesome, two 6"4 beasts.
Thought the same, even if he would cost a lot. He's been brilliant.

Giggsforever

I really don't think he is good enough. Remind me of David Luiz, but not as "good".

tomaldinho1

I really don't think he is good enough. Remind me of David Luiz, but not as "good".
I think the guy is class. Would be interested in how he reminds you of David Luis as I watch him and see and out and out CB, colossus in the air, good with ball at feet, composed and very strong. If this guy was playing for a Serie A or La Liga team everyone would love him and want him in so beats me why one the best CBs from this year is completely overlooked for United.

Very very good player

Tarrou

For me he had a much better season than Lovren's last at Southampton when everyone was raving about him. Great player.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't think he's very good.

CM

Yep this seems like a bit of a non-starter to me.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
most people would be raving about him and say that he is worldclass, if he´d play for us....
He might be too expansive for his quality, but he is better than Smalling or Blind.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Can't see it happening personally, irrespective of the Koeman situation. He would however, solve our problem of struggling against the lower side who make incessant crosses into the box, long balls and rely heavily on set pieces, due to him being insurmountable in the air. On that note, not only would he useful in terms of defending set pieces, but also attacking set pieces given he scored 3 goals this season. He's predominantly utilized on the left of central defence meaning Smalling would be able to carry on playing on the right, where he feels more comfortable, and this is imperative given his apparent limitation on the ball. He (Smalling) does have the ability as we saw at times in the 2014/15 season, but he seems to have slightly regressed in that regard, in the subsequent season. I'm of the opinion that Van Dijk has been consistent, and quite deserving of being both Southampton's fans player of the year, as well as players player of the year, but he is susceptible at times to being bamboozled by strikers with the perhaps the most notable examples being and http://i.imgur.com/ghpeT30.gif
All in all, he'd be a significant improvement, but I just think it's unlikely. I do remember feeling disconcerted when Van Gaal didn't show any interest, whilst the club fallaciously believed Ramos actually wanted to come. Van Dijk is one of the best central defenders in the EPL imo.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
No chance he's leaving. Didn't he sign a 6 year deal just a few months back? Southampton would want the earth for him, rightly so.

I'm a big fan of him. Weird how easily he's being written off especially after having a very impressive season. It was great watching him at Celtic too. He was so clearly several levels above everyone and players just bounced off him as he just strolled through games. He's made the step up very well. I'd love him at United but we should have nabbed him from Celtic. Southampton will probably demand £50m for him. Good player, but not worth that.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Can't see it happening personally, irrespective of the Koeman situation. He would however, solve our problem of struggling against the lower side who make incessant crosses into the box, long balls and rely heavily on set pieces, due to him being insurmountable in the air. On that note, not only would he useful in terms of defending set pieces, but also attacking set pieces given he scored 3 goals this season. He's predominantly utilized on the left of central defence meaning Smalling would be able to carry on playing on the right, where he feels more comfortable, and this is imperative given his apparent limitation on the ball. He (Smalling) does have the ability as we saw at times in the 2014/15 season, but he seems to have slightly regressed in that regard, in the subsequent season. I'm of the opinion that Van Dijk has been consistent, and quite deserving of being both Southampton's fans player of the year, as well as players player of the year, but he is susceptible at times to being bamboozled by strikers with the perhaps the most notable examples being and http://i.imgur.com/ghpeT30.gif
All in all, he'd be a significant improvement, but I just think it's unlikely. I do remember feeling disconcerted when Van Gaal didn't show any interest, whilst the club fallaciously believed Ramos actually wanted to come. Van Dijk is one of the best central defenders in the EPL imo.
Kane also went past him like he wasn't there.

3KDré

Wouldn't object to it, but would prefer Koulibaly, Umtiti or Monolas.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Not sure why but I just don't like him. Hes a good defender, but I'd be disappointed if we got him, think we need someone better.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Doubt it, the difference would be minimal/insignificant. Smalling pretty much wins everything in the air, so does van Dijk.
Last season, Smalling won 64% of his aerial duels. Van Dijk won 73%.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Doubt it, the difference would be minimal/insignificant. Smalling pretty much wins everything in the air, so does van Dijk.
Winning the ball is only half the battle though. Smallings accuracy isn't great, especially from attacking set pieces. Van. Dijk is much better in that respect

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Wouldn't be the worst signing. Was very solid for Southampton who had one of the better defences in the league.

tomaldinho1

Last season, Smalling won 64% of his aerial duels. Van Dijk won 73%.
BOOM!

Also I can't see any stats but Smalling loses possession quite frequently and is very awkward on the ball. Van Dijk seems pretty useful with ball on the floor or in the air.

One thing is for sure - DDG would love to have him for defending corners

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I think he's excellent. Great passer of the ball, and the highest rated defender (statistically) in the Premier League, according to Whoscored.

3KDré

Will probably go to Everton with Koeman. Also is this the thread for those that dont think we will get Bailly?
I don't think he will. I don't know how often it happens but rarely do I see a player move to another club with a manager.
Also I think we're getting Bailly for sure.

bucky

Will probably go to Everton with Koeman. Also is this the thread for those that dont think we will get Bailly?
That's unlikely. He just recently renewed his contract. If anything someone would have to pay a lot to get him now. The suggestion is with Koeman leaving Southampton, some of their players might become disillusioned with their project, which is not improbable.

Why not both?

izec

Zero rumours of him coming here. Mou had enough time thinking about targets and scouting them. He would be one of the easier gettable CBs. Could be a surprise move in the end, but i dont see it. I think we will go for other targets and he isnt high on the list. If he doesnt come, fine, if he does, thats great too.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Great in the air and a physical beast, but seems quite crap at actually defending, either that or just constantly has a massive error in him. Might just be perception, but every Southampton game I've watched, it seems like he was fault, via some daft defending, for them conceding a soft goal.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
Ad a dutchie who followed him through his career i can only say the following.... he should stay as far away as possible from a United shirt. I hope he proves me wrong, love to see another dutch defender since the Stam days at United. (I dont really count Blind as a typical defender).

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I don't think he will. I don't know how often it happens but rarely do I see a player move to another club with a manager.
I think Harry Redknapp went through a period of managing the same players for 10 years. One for the "weird feelings in football" thread.

3KDré

I think Harry Redknapp went through a period of managing the same players for 10 years. One for the "weird feelings in football" thread.
True, but that's just 'Arry. Other than that it doesn't happen too often.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Wouldn't be the worst signing. Was very solid for Southampton who had one of the better defences in the league.
He was their best player last season. Recognized as such both by their fans and their players. I imagine Koeman would want to partner him with Stones. Jagielka needs replacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.