Walid Regragui | Morocco Manager

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Legend no matter what happens. Made history today.

Will be Chelseas next manager in no time.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Legend no matter what happens. Made history today.

Will be Chelseas next manager in no time.

:lol: we’re always the first club people rattle off when a manager needs a new home.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
:lol: we’re always the first club people rattle off when a manager needs a new home.
To be fair you have rattled off some of your ex players at this point.

You had Zola for a spell once upon a time (assistant)

One of my favourite Chelsea jokes pre oil money:

What's the difference between Gianfranco Zola and Mini? A Mini can only carry four passengers.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
To be fair you have rattled off some of your ex players at this point.

You had Zola for a spell once upon a time (assistant)

One of my favourite Chelsea jokes pre oil money:

What's the difference between Gianfranco Zola and Mini? A Mini can only carry four passengers.
:lol: ffs. I will accept the joke this time because it’s kind of funny but you have been warned. I will not tolerate anymore Di Matteo, Flo, Poyet and JFH slander. They’re my childhood heroes and I will defend them to the death.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Fantastic job for Morocco. Will be interesting to see where he goes next.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'm so incredibly impressed with him - he clearly knows how to set a team up and get the best out of his players.

You could imagine if he was at Wolves or West Ham or someone like that, he'd make them incredibly hard to beat.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I'm so incredibly impressed with him - he clearly knows how to set a team up and get the best out of his players.

You could imagine if he was at Wolves or West Ham or someone like that, he'd make them incredibly hard to beat.
Tbf they actually do have some talent in the side as well. But yes, organisation and team spirit is the key to winning this kind of tournament, would love it if they could.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They called him Avocado head when he became the manager :lol:

Also, only the second Moroccan to have won the African Champions League.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
A nothing manager lucking out in a tournament. No doubt a stupid club will be hiring him soon and he fails miserably. disappearing into obscurity within years.

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Taking nothing away from Regragui I'm wondering what is the chicken and the egg here. Regragui is clearly no slouch but I wonder how much of the success should be attributed to Vahid Halilhodzic, the coach that scouted almost the whole group and qualified Morocco for the World Cup.

I believe this might be similar to van Gaal - Heynckes at Bayern. Van Gaal layed the tactical foundation and was the one to give several youth players a spot in the main team as well as ousting the dead wood. Heynckes took that foundation, simplified some of the more rigid bits and was the much better motivator who created the team spirit. Without knowing for sure I think Regragui might be Heynckes here while Halilhodzic was van Gaal.

Abdullah7

A nothing manager lucking out in a tournament. No doubt a stupid club will be hiring him soon and he fails miserably. disappearing into obscurity within years.
would the last coach, Vahid Halilhodzic, get the same luck?

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Sean Dyche must be worried. This guy looks the perfect fit for one of those rubbish, relegation-threatened teams that want to shore things up and survive.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Taking nothing away from Regragui I'm wondering what is the chicken and the egg here. Regragui is clearly no slouch but I wonder how much of the success should be attributed to Vahid Halilhodzic, the coach that scouted almost the whole group and qualified Morocco for the World Cup.

I believe this might be similar to van Gaal - Heynckes at Bayern. Van Gaal layed the tactical foundation and was the one to give several youth players a spot in the main team as well as ousting the dead wood. Heynckes took that foundation, simplified some of the more rigid bits and was the much better motivator who created the team spirit. Without knowing for sure I think Regragui might be Heynckes here while Halilhodzic was van Gaal.
Ye Halilhodzic laid a lot of the foundations here

I thought it was a crazy decision for Morocco to fire him so close to the tournament but in the end it has worked well.

Regragui kept the same strong defensive set up, added back a bit of quality with the exiled players (Ziyech, Mazraoui) and probably gets a bit more from the squad with national pride since he's Moroccan

I think it's rare for an African manager to get into European leagues - mostly likely destination would be France I suppose

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen

I thought it was a crazy decision for Morocco to fire him so close to the tournament but in the end it has worked well.

Regragui kept the same strong defensive set up, added back a bit of quality with the exiled players (Ziyech, Mazraoui) and probably gets a bit more from the squad with national pride since he's Moroccan

I think it's rare for an African manager to get into European leagues - mostly likely destination would be France I suppose
It is rare. But he now has the accolades and his mother tongue is French, not Arabic, so Ligue 1 would suit him. Not sure if he speaks Spanish (he played there for a couple of seasons) or english (should be through French school). If we look at the standings I can't see a clear opportunity now but it might show up at any given moment. Blanc just took over struggling Lyon and Sampaoli did the same with Sevilla, those would have been interesting projects otherwise.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
It is rare. But he now has the accolades and his mother tongue is French, not Arabic, so Ligue 1 would suit him. Not sure if he speaks Spanish (he played there for a couple of seasons) or english (should be through French school). If we look at the standings I can't see a clear opportunity now but it might show up at any given moment. Blanc just took over struggling Lyon and Sampaoli did the same with Sevilla, those would have been interesting projects otherwise.
His English is decent, has answered questions at press conference

Likely to get another World Cup off the back of this anyway

joi_division

Supports
AS Roma
He was born in France and played there for 9 or so years according to his Wiki. I’d think he’d recieve a few good offers after this tournament. Beating Belgium, Spain and Portugal in a World Cup is more than just luck. One goal conceded in the whole tournament which was an own goal.

Up Morocco.

captaincantona

Morocco looked most dangerous at the start of the second half when they moved the ball so quickly. Really noticeable quick combinations and urgency all over the park. It was as if every player understood to play one touch if at all possible and that as soon as they played their pass they simply had to make themselves available again. France looked pedestrian in comparison. For a coach to get that much coherence and application from a bunch of players from different teams and leagues - some who clearly don’t play in that way week in week out…on an international training schedule and to such a high level. Very impressive. They clearly bought into his style of play and it was really lovely to watch.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
How long after we sack Lampard will he be linked with us...

Conor

Seems to me like he's been overly defensive in how he had the team playing, it was clear from a few of the games that they were well able to play with a more attacking mindset, but obviously it did work very well for them.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo

Morocco really reminded me a lot of Halilhodzic's Algeria in 2014, that forced Germany to extra time, and if it wasn't for some bad luck and Neuer heroics, they could have actually knocked them out in last sixteen.

The pattern of the play was quite similar, incredibly tough and stubborn defence, but also quite exciting team when in possession, always looking to attack.

That said, Vaha engineered his own downfall. He's qualified Ivory Coast to World Cup 2010, Algeria to World Cup 2014, Japan to World 2018, and Morocco now to this World Cup.

And he's only led Algeria at the tournament itself, mainly getting sackings because of non-football and non-results related issues. He's actually a really good coach, but had obviously badly underachieved due to his difficult personality. I believe he could have done much more, since the days he built up Lille to French powerhouse, or at least getting them close to it.

As for Regragui, even if he's been taking pages out of Vaha's manual, that was smart thing to do. I guess it comes down to ego and stubborness, Vaha was too stubborn and paid the price, while Regragui was not and ultimately got rewarded for that.