Was Chicharito the last “gem” to be unearthed by our scouts?

izec

by not using him
He wasnt sitting on the bench for 2 years. He moved to Real and Leverkusen while can Gaal was here. I dont see how he ruined him in a month time. He ended his United career, but that was already going down before van Gaal

InfiniteBoredom

He wasnt sitting on the bench for 2 years. He moved to Real and Leverkusen while can Gaal was here. I dont see how he ruined him in a month time. He ended his United career, but that was already going down before van Gaal
LvG sold him to Leverkusen. He did decently enough for Real, scored a goal in their CL quarter.

InfiniteBoredom

Yeah and he scored for fun for Leverkusen in his first season, so how exactly did van Gaal ruin him?
For us. Between doing well for Madrid and Leverkusen, he couldn’t hit a barn door for us and looked bereft of confidence (remember the missed pen in pre season and that LvG look to Giggs?). It was clear LvG didn’t want or rate him so never gave him a proper chance.

In the grand scheme of thing, we got a good fee and he’d end up declining quite fast so it wasn’t a huge loss, however selling him that season while Falcao turned out to be a bust the season before, also selling RvP and relying on Rooney alone as a main striker was suicidal for LvG.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
He didint want to be a sub anyway, and he wasnt good enough to start as many games as he wanted. I dont see the issue
we got rid o a natural goal scorer when we needed one most...

cyril C

Iirc we got Chicharito before the WC where he played so well. The club wrapped up the deal so quickly and efficiently pre-WC. I remember he's a total unknown to many football fans, maybe not in Mexico. He's a genuine gem alright.

So other than him.. maybe Bailly, he's kind of unknown. Other than him, is Evra really that highly rated? I don't remember people spoke highly of him before he signed with us. It's a surprise deal for me. Vidic is highly known and rated at that time as one of Serb's iron defense, but not Evra. Rafael/Fabio is also known enough, but we got 'em first.

Anyway, I think it's unfair to say our scouts are bad and fail miserably. For all we do not know, they may 've scouted the players regarded as top prospects now, yet the manager or whoever's in charge don't want to get. We should also consider plenty of the young 'uns go the the youth from the scouts findings eg. Chong. The ones that go straightaway to the first team over the years doesn't become a "gem", not really the scout faults they fail. The likes of Chicharito rose to the occassion and be the "gem".
Agree or at least OK with most of your statement except 1 - "...I think it's unfair to say our scouts are bad and fail miserably." We hired dozen of scouts who are being paid regularly, whether as full time staff or per deal. And yet we could only find 1 decent intake every few years. let's say you are a condo sales man and you only make a deal every 2 years, try to say to your boss that you are waiting for the next big deal...

I am not expecting CR, Mpabbe or Messi every 2 seasons, but I am expecting Vidic, Hernandez, Evra, Nani etc every year. We typically buy 2-3 players every season, with at least 1-2 "unknown" to armchair fans, 1 of which must be at least a decent squad player who can at least start on the bench. Since Hernandez, most in-take don't even deserve a bench.

Trizy

Money has gone mad in football the past 10-15 years. This forces all clubs to look for the next big thing to either save money (big clubs) or make money (small clubs).

This is why no big clubs really finds ''gems'' anymore. Well, not good valued ones anyway. Also social media has played a huge role in exposing genuine talents to the masses. If you really wanted to check who the next best upcoming players are you'd find them with no scouting experience purely based on their online reputation.

Real Madrid and Barcelona spring to mind. They've turned their attention to hot South American prospects. Not exactly ''gems'' as they're well known over there. Not exactly good money either, at £20-40m for a youth signing, it can easily back fire.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Not really - wasn't there some story about players having to google him? He'd just had a decent season at Monaco but BBC had to run articles on 'Who is Martial'

I guess every promising young player is a 'hot prospect' but I remember a lot of fans not knowing anything about him
@Damien knew exactly who he was. ;)

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Yes and the scout who unearthed him was Mike, the little Phelan.