Was it a foul?

Pogba's tackle on Neves — was it a foul?

• Total voters

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
And is Sourness right? Can Neves count himself lucky that he isn't currently having life-saving surgery?

Poll please mods.

Jev

I'd say yeah, but not a clear and obvious mistake and therefore fine for VAR not to overturn it.

Certainly wasn't a leg-breaker.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Yes it was a foul but not leg breaking challenge.

The way he was running everywhere to show little scratch on his leg was funny though

Last edited:

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Yes

But, we'll take those luck our way

Souness is talking out of his ass saying it's a leg-breaker, it was not

Bobski

Thought he pretty clearly hit his shin pad to the point it spun a little on his leg. Not watching Sky so that only comes from a shitty steam, so dubious accuracy there. Thought I heard the contact as well and given the nature of the challenge with a bit of a lunge was just expecting the whistle. Dean let a lot go today so ehh.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Honestly he barely touched him, not a foul for me. Amazing the reaction to this challenge compared to the Bruno one last week which was clearly a foul!

Flytan

It's a foul but a weak one. The one on Bruno last week was clearer. People acting like pogba almost killed him need to calm downm. Media is insane

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Yes it was a foul but not a clear & obvious error that VAR should overturn & certainly not a leg-breaker.

SirScholes

Yea 100%
But there were other wrong decisions, wolves gk to blame for the goal not the ref

markhughes

It was a foul but we don't want to see goals chalked off for minimal impact, happens all over the pitch.

Ince and Sherwood both think it's a red and a potential career ending challenge,

CM

Never a foul. If you compare it to the one on Fernandes last week where nobody in the media batted an eyelid I can't believe it is even a conversation.

The refs are supposedly wanting to let the game flow, why are we analysing these in microscopic detail?

Petition to rename this thread to "what is a foul?"

I think the ref didn't give it cos he saw Neves play the ball, see it was going to Varane, look at the ref then go down.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Definite foul. Neves didn’t do himself any favours in his reaction and I think watching how he responded on VAR probably made the ref’s mind up though.

PoTMS

Yes, it was a foul for me but a soft one. You win some, you lose some like we saw last week. Some of the reaction from the ABUs is way over the top.

Also, any decision Mike Dean makes is pretty much always the wrong one.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I honestly couldn't see any contact. These situations seems to getting blown up way more when United are involved.

Maybe i just got rose tinted though :)

Irwin99

No. And i'm really liking this more lenient approach by the refs. Didn't think it was a foul on Bruno last week and there wasn't enough force/contact in Pogba's challenge this week

Giggs' right foot

Yeah, it was.

It can be a foul even though the fouled player doesn't feel any pain (like, say, a shirt pull), which I'm sure Neves didn't feel here. Pogba just clipped his shin pad, Neves felt that and dropped after looking at the ref and taking a step. It was far from a leg breaker, but in 100 cases, it'll probably be given 95 times.

Tony247

A grazing touch in a 50-50 challenge. Neves didn't get hurt, took couple of steps and then went down like a daft after looking at ref.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
For everyone saying it's a foul, how are you relating that to the rule change, where minimal contact stuff is being let go this season?

M Bison

Supports
York City
Never a foul. If you compare it to the one on Fernandes last week where nobody in the media batted an eyelid I can't believe it is even a conversation.

The refs are supposedly wanting to let the game flow, why are we analysing these in microscopic detail?
did you think the one on Bruno last week was a foul out of interest?

siw2007

I’m going to say yes, though I’m not really geared in my head to see the game through the new lens the refs see it, with more physicality and more flow to the game.

I think Pogba went over the ball and clipped the leg of Neves on the way, the contact was small but I guess it would hurt. But I’m also of the opinion that last weeks on Bruno was also a foul, so regardless of whether you think it’s a foul or not, there’s no doubt in my mind that it’s been consistent.

Abraxas

I thought we were lucky. It was reckless regardless of how much contact there was. Its not just about the result with a lunge, it's the height and the action.

CM

did you think the one on Bruno last week was a foul out of interest?
Last season it would've been. This year possibly not from what the refs are saying, but it has to be consistent across the board.

Handré1990

I thought so, but so was the challenge on Bruno last week. They did say they’d let more go, so it’s alright. Leg breaker? No way!

DickDastardly

Didn't touch him.

Nor did Xhaka yesterday.

One is a red, other is a goal for us.
Yeah yeah, but Xhaka was two footed....

Still.

You either call the foul if there is contact, or you call it if there is intention.