Was it a foul?

Pogba's tackle on Neves — was it a foul?

• Total voters

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Pogba touched the ball, and you can see this as the ball started to spin towards Neves after the challenge. The ball would have been spinning the other way if it didn't touch Pogba's foot.

Academic overall though as yes, it was probably a foul.

El Zoido

It wasn’t a foul, it was a neutral ball and the contact was virtually nonexistent.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The real question though, is that a booking?

lilcurt

Souness goes overboard but it was a foul, anyone saying otherwise I just don't think knows football or is too blinkered to admit it.

I'll take the win either way :devil:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
If Pogba's boot was two inches to the right he could've broken Neves' leg. And if it was two inches to the right and six feet higher it could've ripped his head off. And if it was an inch to the left he would've injured the ball.

RK

I'm pretty sure Dean didn't give the foul because he saw Pogba touch the ball, which I'm pretty sure did happen.
Whether it's a foul or not, not sure.

Gee Male

Contact doesn't mean it has to be a foul. But contact while going slightly over the top of the ball and studs showing?

Definite foul. Obviously.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
If Pogba's boot was two inches to the right he could've broken Neves' leg. And if it was two inches to the right and six feet higher it could've ripped his head off. And if it was an inch to the left he would've injured the ball.
completely agree. me and my uncle were lamenting the fact that his leg wasn’t high enough that we could see a clear outline of his nutsack.

RedCurry

Neves was standing up until he saw that he had lost the possession of the ball. Then he decided to roll around on the ground. Footballers being footballers. It was never really a foul.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
When you look at the camera from behind Pogba it's clear that he makes a contact with his shin. So yeah, technically it was a foul, although in general I prefer when fouls like that aren't getting called, it's a soft one and both were coming for the ball.

As for Sourness — yeah, right.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Poor, hard-done-by Neves. He only went down because he saw he couldn't keep the ball in his possession. Next time he'll go down straightaway.

Bocca9978

Yes, in today’s game.
Footballers are soft though and need to get a grip. A touch on your body will not hurt you.
Man up.

daveskimufc

Maybe, but Neves’ reaction cost him the free kick, it’s exactly what is wrong with football these days.

I lost the ball,I look a bit silly now what should I do. TIMBERRRR

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Yeah, it was.

It can be a foul even though the fouled player doesn't feel any pain (like, say, a shirt pull), which I'm sure Neves didn't feel here. Pogba just clipped his shin pad, Neves felt that and dropped after looking at the ref and taking a step. It was far from a leg breaker, but in 100 cases, it'll probably be given 95 times.
Neves took some time to see if he got a reaction, then laid down and acted like he was in pain.

This is what yellow cards for filming is for

El Zoido

You have to have the ball under control to be fouled off of it. He didn’t have it. It’s not a foul.

Diabovermelho

I thought the Premier League wanted the games to be more physical. It was a challenge, both went to the ball, a normal situation. Neves was standing and only fell to the ground after he realized wolves lost the ball.

Souness is with his full agenda against Pogba. Not a faul, not a leg breaker.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's a foul.

Is it so much of a foul that the goal should have been overturned and Souness' complaints are justified? Not particularly.

Also worth noting that (as layed out in advance of the season) part of what determines whether a ref will give a foul is whether the player's reaction make sense relative to the contact. I'm not sure Neves' reaction did him any favours in that regard.